Author Topic: The rise and rise of Joel Bowden (RFC site)  (Read 1171 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
The rise and rise of Joel Bowden (RFC site)
« on: January 20, 2006, 06:43:12 PM »
The rise and rise of Joel Bowden
4:48:42 PM Fri 20 January, 2006
Tony Greenberg
richmondfc.com.au

Over the past couple of seasons, talented Richmond left-footer Joel Bowden has taken his game to another level, winning back-to-back Jack Dyer Medals and earning the respect of the football world due to his consistency. Richmond Media Manager Tony Greenberg, went head-to-head with Joel to discuss his ‘late’ maturing, his Richmond heritage, his playing aspirations, the team’s prospects, Terry Wallace’s coaching, and a host of other topics.

TG: What’s been the turning point in your league career that has enabled you to produce such good, consistent form over the past couple of seasons?

JB: There are probably several factors. It’s been a learning process throughout my career and to get this stage now, where I’ve played 10 seasons of AFL, I feel that I know what to do and where to go at the right times. Shifting from the midfield into the backline and being more permanent there has certainly helped me. I’ve felt comfortable there from the outset. Also, having Terry (Wallace) explain exactly what he wants me to do and, as a result, knowing my role more specifically, has helped.

TG: So, you think you’re a more rounded footballer now in the backline?

JB: I just think I’m able to do my job, as well as play my own game in the backline, whereas in the midfield, predominantly, you’re just playing your own game. In the past, games where I was really happy with my own performance in the midfield, were when I played on the likes of Nathan Buckley, Anthony Koutoufides and James Hird. I broke even with those guys, but was also able to get my own ball and maybe hurt them the other way. And, that’s the way I guess it is in the backline each week. You’ve got to beat your own man one-on-one and then beat them going the other way.

TG: Do you believe you were something of a maligned player up until a couple of years ago?

JB: Well, I have enjoyed reading a few of the emails that I’ve received recently, saying it’s good to see me playing well. One of them actually said they’d heard about the community work I’m doing with the Club, and it’s obvious that now you’re not just concentrating on football, it’s making you more of a rounded person. I thought that was very true, but little did they know that from the beginning I’ve been studying at University, as well as spending a lot of time with different groups and people.

TG: What’s your assessment of Terry Wallace as a coach?

JB: I think the playing group as a whole understands where Terry wants to go with us. He’s very well structured, clear-cut in his explanations, and gives you a thorough understanding of your role in the team, which can only help. His game plan is good, too. I think it showed at times last season, with our run-and-carry style, lots of guys linking up and running together, that we were capable of scoring heavily. Terry’s coaching style is attacking and I enjoy that . . . He certainly made an impact in his first year and, hopefully, will have a bigger one in his second one and the seasons to follow . . .

TG: What does playing for Richmond, the club that your father played in a premiership with, mean to you?

JB: I probably took it for granted early on that I was at Richmond Football Club and wearing No. 11, the same number that my father did. So many people that I’ve met over the past 10 years have said that they used to watch Dad play. Then, because we haven’t had many up years – we’ve probably had only 3-4 since I’ve been here – you start to actually understand a little bit more about the place, and the quality of the people who are here, during the down times . . . Guys like Neville Crowe, who put their heart and soul into the Club, because he’s just so passionate about it. I think I’m learning and experiencing that passion and love for the Club as I progress through to the latter part of my career. Early on, you’re happy just to get the opportunity to play a senior game . . . it’s a huge thrill. My whole family flew down from Alice Springs and watched my debut and, at that point in time, I was so happy I could have retired. These days, however, football for me is more than just playing a game – it’s about my family as well. Now that my younger brother Patrick has come to Richmond, our family is united through this Club and we all love it.

TG: What’s it like for you now to have Patrick as a teammate at Tigerland?

JB: Well, it’s something that I was really hoping for five years ago when he was in the draft, but he ended up being drafted by the Bulldogs. As happy as I was for him, I wished he’d been drafted by Richmond. In hindsight, however, it could be a very good scenario for Patrick to have learned his craft at the Bulldogs, before coming to Richmond and, hopefully, producing his best football. It is going to be a very exciting year in my opinion, not only for the whole Tiger team, but for me, especially, to play alongside my brother.

TG: How do you feel about the support the team receives from the “Tiger Tribe”?

JB: They’re a very loyal bunch and you can see that by the support we’ve got despite not having tasted the ultimate success since 1980 . . . And, it seems to filter through families. There are whole families of Richmond supporters connected with the Club, who you regularly see, and that’s similar to my family . . . The Tiger faithful are very generous in their support as well. They’re not expecting the world – they just want the players and the team to be well organised, but, more importantly, to be competitive out on the field.

TG: Do you think about being part of the next Richmond premiership side?

JB: I certainly do and I’m sure a lot of our players do. The next premiership obviously will be a huge one for the Tigers. I reckon it will be similar to the reaction of the Swans supporters and players when they broke through and won the flag this year. I hope and dream I am part of it, and that I’m part of it with my brother. That really would be the ultimate . . .

TG: How much longer would you like to play for?

JB: I’m 27 now, and I’d love to play for another five years. You never know what could happen, but my body’s fairly good at the moment and I haven’t had any major injuries that will hamper me. However, in saying that, I’d hate to put a time limit on it. If it’s three years, it’s three – if it’s five, it’s five. But I just want to be happy with myself and achieve most of the things that I want by then. Obviously, a premiership is the ultimate goal of all players, and that’s what I’d like to get before I finish.

TG: Do you have other football goals?

JB: I’d like to be a regular, consistent finals player. Players who are well regarded in the competition generally get that recognition because of their finals performances. I was reasonably happy with my finals series in 2001, but you need to string good years together to not only play consistently in finals, but also to get the experience in the group to then challenge for the premiership. We’ve seen throughout league football history that teams who are consistently up there go on to take the next step – they get to the Grand Final and then they win the premiership. That’s what we need to do, and it’s one of my goals. I also still want to play good footy all year and lead as best I can.

TG: How much satisfaction have you gained over the past two years winning back-to-back Jack Dyer Medals?

JB: It’s certainly meant a lot to me. I’ve been extremely happy with the personal achievements over the past two years and hope to pick up another one or two (Best and Fairests) before I finish . . . Although personal achievements are great – and one day I’ll look back and be able to say that I’ve won two Jack Dyer Medals – some team success would just top it off. I’ve been to the Tommy Hafey Club functions, where they’ve honored those Richmond premiership teams, and the bond that I see between those players is quite amazing. Even after 30 or 40 years, when they get back together they just instantly click. The connection is there, and that’s the sort of relationship I’d like to have with guys at this Club, who I’ve now spent a long time with, in the future.

TG: Now that you’re back in the playing leadership group, do you still have aspirations to captain the Club?

JB: To be the deputy vice-captain is a great honor for me and I enjoy supporting and helping the younger guys. I also like being helped and supported by other guys around the Club. If I got the opportunity to captain the team again, which I did this year against Essendon, in the ‘Dreamtime at the ‘G’ match, I would really enjoy that. But I think ‘Sugar’ (Kane Johnson) is doing a good job, and my captaincy aspirations aren’t over the top. Certainly, if the job came up, I’d love to do it. But I’m not playing football now for the captaincy or those sort of individual honors.

TG: Who are some of the young Tigers you believe we should keep an eye out for in 2006?

JB: Well, I don’t think we need to keep an eye out for Brett Deledio . . . I think he’s made his mark already. In saying that, he’ll probably have tougher opponents next year, however, I’m confident he’ll have some games that are going to be better than the best games he had in 2005. He’ll be able to draw on the experience he gained in his debut season, and know that he can do it – not just think that he can do it. We may well see him kick four or five goals in a game. I also feel that Richard Tambling could develop along those lines. They’ve both got electrifying pace and, hopefully, we’ll utilise their pace – give them the ball and let them go . . . Jay Schulz, who was pretty much out of the picture this year after breaking his ankle, hopefully with a strong pre-season we can see him holding down centre half-back. Whether or not Terry’s going to play him there I’m not 100 percent sure. Also, kids like Adam Pattison are going to improve and play more games . . .

TG: What’s the camaraderie like within the playing group?

JB: On the whole, it’s one of the closer groups I’ve seen in my time at the Club. Because there’s been a few older guys leave in the last two years, the age of the playing group is fairly close. We’ve got a lot of guys who’ve been here now for 3-4 years and they’ve mixed well with the younger guys and the older guys. It’s a very close group that is training well in the pre-season and competing hard against each other, which can only be a positive in the long run.

TG: What specific areas of your game are you working on over the pre-season?

JB: Mainly my fitness and skills. I don’t need to get into the gym and put on any more weight. I came back to pre-season training a couple of kilos over my playing weight, but that was due to a month overseas on my honeymoon. Going to an ex-French colony, they serve up very nice meals, so you’ve got to enjoy it while you’re there. But I’ll be concentrating on my fitness – my body – looking after it and making sure it’s ready to get through another 22 games plus, hopefully, a few finals.

TG: Do you envisage your on-field role changing over the next few years? Would you like to get back into the midfield at some stage?

JB: I certainly think I’ve got something to offer to our midfield. But in saying that, I also believe my best position at the moment is on a half-back flank. No doubt there will be some rotation under Terry’s coaching, but predominantly I see myself playing half-back flank and pinch-hitting in the midfield at times. I’m fairly flexible . . . I think my height is a bonus. I’m nearly 6ft 2in, so I can play that little bit bigger role when required, but I’m also able to play on the guys who are 6ft . . .

TG: What does life after football hold for you?

JB: I’m doing my teaching rounds at the moment, but I’m not sure what I’ll do. Hopefully, it’s not just around the corner, however, I am preparing myself for it by studying and getting things in order. I’d like to think my life will begin again when I finish playing footy . . .

TG: So, what are the Club’s prospects then for next season and beyond?

JB: Well, like last season, I think there’ll be some learning to be done by the group. With losing a bit of experience, there will possibly be times when we look in trouble . . . But we’re also going to play some very exciting football. As long as we can get out there each week and be competitive. That’s the mindset – let’s be competitive, let’s take the game on, let’s implement our game plan. Then, I believe we can win more games than we lose. We were very close this year to getting into the finals. Next season, my opinion is we can take that next step. Without being in a situation of getting to those final two games and stretching to get there (the top eight), I’m thinking our spot will be cemented four or five (rounds) out, and we’ll be looking to fine-tune from there.

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=243287

Offline Captain__Blood

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: The rise and rise of Joel Bowden (RFC site)
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 05:25:15 PM »
Geez is there anyone on the list the club website hasn't priased in the last month?

letsgetiton!

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2006, 06:40:08 PM »
i just think its a shame he aint captain! he is by far a more worthy person to captain us than sugar1
 it really amazes me when joel has an off game (rare these days) or has a few clangers , all and sundry lay into him, but all forget that sugars skills are vastly overrated and imo not that gr8, nor is his leadership .

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2006, 10:43:29 PM »
I know X you don't rate Sugar highly as a top footballer or captain and I do so I won't go there ;).

I've said this before but I still would love to see Joel now and then as a tactic pushed forward even to FF to make the opposition coaches scratch their heads. Now that those silly brain implosions of his seem to a thing of the past I'd reckon he could cause some real havoc in front of goal on the lead and at ground level as he's shown he down back he can play either tall or small.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

letsgetiton!

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006, 06:13:53 AM »
I know X you don't rate Sugar highly as a top footballer or captain and I do so I won't go there ;).

I've said this before but I still would love to see Joel now and then as a tactic pushed forward even to FF to make the opposition coaches scratch their heads. Now that those silly brain implosions of his seem to a thing of the past I'd reckon he could cause some real havoc in front of goal on the lead and at ground level as he's shown he down back he can play either tall or small.

i believe ur on something there mt. i remember when joel fisrt started, he began up fwdm and played ff at times will good results. he showed he was a gr8 lead, very good mark and very accurate kick 4 goal. i believe as u , he should be thrown up fwd to mix it up , and if shulz and hall do the task required 4 us this yr , we may see that

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2006, 08:50:58 AM »
Geez is there anyone on the list the club website hasn't priased in the last month?

LOL

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2006, 04:21:48 AM »
if shulz and hall do the task required 4 us this yr , we may see that

Let's hope so X as something up Wallace's sleeve although he's been used in defence in the scratch matches so far.

LOL

Haven't seen Tivs get a guernsey yet lol.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd