Author Topic: A small victory for the Tigers’ ‘lunatic fringe’ (Age)  (Read 8326 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
A small victory for the Tigers’ ‘lunatic fringe’ (Age)
« on: November 17, 2016, 02:42:42 AM »
A small victory for the Tigers’ ‘lunatic fringe’

Caroline Wilson
The Age
17 November 2016

The resignation of another long-serving Richmond board member and the club's move to legislate against dead wood directorships should be seen as a victory for those challengers to the club who have been portrayed in recent months as the lunatic fringe of AFL supporters.

In many cases those challengers have been cast as a collective laughing stock and yet the fact remains their disenchantment with the Tigers' on-field fortunes and key football decisions was shared by the highly critical Ernst & Young review that ultimately led to a major shake-up.

And there now seems a very good chance that long-serving and highly regarded former Old Xaverians president Robert Ralph, a member of the so-called Malvern Hotel group, could replace the outgoing Tony Free early next year once the club elections are completed.

Ralph, who has the backing of Barry Richardson and Michael Green and who also has close connections with Neil Balme and Daniel Richardson, is one of several candidates thrown up by that group after a meeting with club bosses Peggy O'Neal and Brendon Gale at the end of the season.

That meeting took place after cooler heads prevailed, Balme had been appointed head of football and the club continued its self-admitted slow but steady attempts to reshape the board, which was stacked with too many veteran directors.

The group that met that winter night on Glenferrie Road was a somewhat flexible group of predominantly male supporters of private school background, many connected with the Old Xaverians. Some belatedly joined the group while some of the more shadowy elements who met that night back in August have been dislodged.

But what all had in common was an unashamed frustration with Richmond's on-field progress, a frustration that soon afterwards led to the emergence of the Focus on Football challenge.

Martin Hiscock's Focus on Football was quickly ridiculed and yet if the Tigers' administration and board is honest it should concede it was little wonder Richmond's lack of success led to such an apparently destabilising act of ill-fated and self-destructive madness.

The love of their AFL clubs can cause otherwise mild-mannered supporters to do crazy things and Richmond, as the game's worst-performed club over a number of decades now, should count itself lucky to engender such passion and fanfare. Even if some of the methods adopted have been a little embarrassing.

The more considered view of the Malvern group, whose key organisers Stephen Mandie and Damien Silk had railed against long-serving directorships and initially and unwisely targeted even O'Neil, appears to have modified as has the club's animosity against them.

Gale and O'Neil may say they were working towards change anyway but the fact remains that now two directors have stepped down with at least one more to come with the club recommending to its membership constitutional change in the form of fixed terms.

There is no doubt the Malvern group crystallised the issues facing the board even if Gale was well down the track to achieve football change after serious departmental flaws and player-coach schisms were identified. Should he be required to sack Damien Hardwick during next season the club chief seems better equipped to manage that.

O'Neil has received the board's backing to stand for one more three-year term but under her own recommendation must stand down at the end of 2019. While the club cleverly installed former player Emmett Dunne in as an interim director in the wake of the current members' election, his fellow director Kerry Ryan could face a tougher task in her bid for another term following challenges by Peter Casey and Simon Wallace.

The AFL has no issue with peaceful coups such as the Frank Costa revolution at Geelong that took place almost two decades ago. But it despises board challenges and has gone out of its way to discredit and mock the recent goings on at Richmond.

Where some individuals were concerned the misgivings of Gillon McLachlan and Co were entirely justified. Certainly the days of backroom revolution seem gone but sometimes football clubs need to run out of patience and throw due diligence out with it.

Peter Gordon and the Western Bulldogs showed that to the football world.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/afl/a-small-victory-for-the-tigers-lunatic-fringe-20161116-gsr0bw.html

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: A small victory for the Tigers’ ‘lunatic fringe’ (Age)
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 07:50:55 AM »
Didn't Peter Gordon go through 3 CEOs and sack his coach after his captain walked out on the club 2 years ago?
Just under 4 months ago, his million dollar recruit knocked out a teammate for teasing him over his performance.

Caro, that tells me that anything can happen after a period of turmoil.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 08:49:01 AM »
WP should be glad the board is negotiating a transition and bypassing the members  :cheers
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 11:20:33 AM »
WP should be glad the board is negotiating a transition and bypassing the members  :cheers

Bit unfair, Harry.

WP has consistently stated opposition against ANYBODY being granted a spot rather than being elected.
And, unlike you, actually stood up at the AGM and voted against the idea of APPOINTED directors.
One of a very small minority who can claim consistency, integrity and foresight over this issue.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 11:35:10 AM »

Not sure what you point is here and to be honest what you are implying is so far from the truth it's laughable

I was against Focus on Footy's pathetic attempt at taking over the board. Outside of their farcical initial press conference and lack of substance in their plan they were too gutless to face the members. They wanted the current mob to stand down and just walk in take over. That was their plan A and it was gutless

Plan B was a demand that half the current mob stand down and half of them just waltz in the door and be gifted seats

Their plan C was supposedly to force and EGM, which again despite all the bluff and bluster they didn't go through with because they knew they would not win ...

We now have an election coming in a month which is great news for members

I have said a number of times that I am backing Simon Wallace because he has gone about his push the correct way, with a clear message of what he stands for and what he brings to the table. Have said I think it's great we now have another candidate in Casey

Yesterday I whacked the club for how they intended to replace Free (did you conveniently miss that or just ignore it  :huh). Said it was wrong and went as far as to say they had a great chance to give back to members by letting us decide and vote in 2 directors as opposed to 2.

Finally, I have made my thoughts on the Board appointed directors nonsense very clear. I would think the fact I voted against the constitutional change on it 5 years ago shows quite clearly that I am vehemently opposed to it

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 12:56:57 PM »

Not sure what you point is here and to be honest what you are implying is so far from the truth it's laughable

I was against Focus on Footy's pathetic attempt at taking over the board. Outside of their farcical initial press conference and lack of substance in their plan they were too gutless to face the members. They wanted the current mob to stand down and just walk in take over. That was their plan A and it was gutless

Plan B was a demand that half the current mob stand down and half of them just waltz in the door and be gifted seats

Their plan C was supposedly to force and EGM, which again despite all the bluff and bluster they didn't go through with because they knew they would not win ...

I have said a number of times that I am backing Simon Wallace because he has gone about his push the correct way, with a clear message of what he stands for and what he brings to the table. Have said I think it's great we now have another candidate in Casey

Yesterday I whacked the club for how they intended to replace Free (did you conveniently miss that or just ignore it  :huh). Said it was wrong and went as far as to say they had a great chance to give back to members by letting us decide and vote in 2 directors as opposed to 2.

Finally, I have made my thoughts on the Board appointed directors nonsense very clear. I would think the fact I voted against the constitutional change on it 5 years ago shows quite clearly that I am vehemently opposed to it

So you're not happy with them replacing free and another who'll resign soon with malverners who you were against, bypassing election?  That's all I'm sayin.

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 12:58:40 PM »

Bit unfair, Harry.

WP has consistently stated opposition against ANYBODY being granted a spot rather than being elected.
And, unlike you, actually stood up at the AGM and voted against the idea of APPOINTED directors.
One of a very small minority who can claim consistency, integrity and foresight over this issue.

Was emphasising the point that he won't be glad that it appears 2 are bypassing the election

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2016, 01:46:47 PM »

Was emphasising the point that he won't be glad that it appears 2 are bypassing the election
Those two posts are totally opposite.

Online yandb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2016, 01:47:50 PM »

Simon Wallace has indicated that he doesn't want change but will maintain the status quo, this is how he will help the RFC.

WP how will this improve the club?

Online yandb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2016, 01:50:39 PM »
Caro is sounding more and more like Hillary every day

Calling any one who challenges the lunatic fringe in her article is deplorable. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2016, 01:58:26 PM »

I was trying to puzzle that out as well, if he replaced should in the original post with won't then it would make sense but as you said as it stands they are totally opposite

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2016, 01:59:59 PM »

First one was sarcasm

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2016, 02:41:53 PM »
Simon Wallace has indicated that he doesn't want change but will maintain the status quo, this is how he will help the RFC.

WP how will this improve the club?

Have you read his prospectus yandb?
I've just re-read it this morning.
He explains it as not wishing to blow the place up but adding his skills.
Very similar to Casey's point of view.

Hopefully now the Nominations period is over we will see Wallace's prospectus back up.
A very good read and bloody comprehensive at 21 pages.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2016, 03:52:07 PM »
Caro is sounding more and more like Hillary every day

Calling any one who challenges the lunatic fringe in her article is deplorable. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Exactly.
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2016, 04:04:28 PM »
Time to make Richmond great again