Author Topic: Jack Graham that is [merged]  (Read 165245 times)

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Jack Graham that is [merged]
« Reply #330 on: September 21, 2019, 11:55:52 AM »
If he is is going to play long time, I hope they invest in some surgery so his shoulders don't keep poping

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #331 on: September 21, 2019, 03:22:52 PM »
Looks like he is going to miss on the big one  :(. It's these situations you wish we were like Soccer where the whole squad receives a premiership/championship medal. Graham playing through the pain has helped us into the Granny. He deserves a medal if we go on and win it now.

+1. Should set a minimum number of games quota to get a medal like in soccer. Although even with that the clubs generally apply for dispensations to get the players who hadn’t met the quota a medal anyway.

It's time for the AFL to hand out premiership medals for all contributors

Matt Walsh
ESPN
21 September 2019

Australian basketball legend Andrew Gaze is the first to admit that his 1999 NBA championship ring has a funny story attached to it.

"Insurance", he described himself, as the star-studded San Antonio Spurs squad he was a part of featured headline acts Tim Duncan, David Robinson and current Golden State Warriors coach Steve Kerr.

Gaze didn't see a minute of action during the 1999 NBA Finals and was actually inactive throughout the Spurs' entire playoff run. But he was still crucial to San Antonio's success and was rightly awarded a championship ring.

But while there's a distinct culture of team success in other codes in other countries, the AFL's policy on handing out premiership medallions is far stricter: you must be part of the 22 to take the field on Grand Final day to make the cut.

Famously, then-Western Bulldogs skipper Bob Murphy missed out on an elusive medal in 2016 when he was cruelly struck down by a ruptured ACL in Round 3. Had he played basketball for San Antonio in 1999, for instance, he would have been given a ring. But because he played footy for the Dogs, he received nothing.

Richmond's Friday night preliminary final win over Geelong once again gave us reason to consider that the AFL should also fittingly reward all those who contributed to premiership glory - not just those present on the biggest day of the year.

Late in the first quarter of the Tigers' 19-point victory, Jack Graham suffered a gruesome dislocated shoulder - one which had him in such pain that he couldn't stand up straight in the aftermath. He ran straight down the race, so out of it that he inadvertently exited the ground through Geelong's interchange gates instead of his own.

Miraculously, Graham managed to return in the second and was vital in allowing the Tigers extra rotations. He also contributed a handful of tackles and three touches in a tense final term.

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick swelled with pride when talking about Graham in his post-match press conference, but admitted his place in Richmond's final 22 for the last Saturday in September was far from a guarantee, after reports surfaced his shoulder popped out a further three times in the change rooms after the match.

"Jack Graham, we would have packed him at half time [if we could]," Hardwick said. "Where it ends up with Jack, I don't know ... but that effort was simply incredible."

It's not only Graham who is in grave danger of missing out on the ultimate success, teammate and fellow 2017 premiership player Nathan Broad was concussed in an ugly double blow which resulted in him having to be helped from the ground. He didn't return.

In an effort to spoil a ball heading for dangerous Cats forward Gryan Miers, Broad leapt for the ball and his head was unintentionally collected by a teammate's hip and then again by an errant knee.

Broad, who has been a crucial piece of Richmond's surge up the ladder in 2019 may be another to miss the Grand Final. Throughout the home-and-away season we saw players held back a week after copping hits nowhere near as significant as what Broad felt.

The Tigers, naturally, will do their utmost to ensure Broad has every opportunity to run onto the MCG on Saturday afternoon, but if the club and the AFL are serious about treating head knocks and concussion with the respect it deserves, Broad shouldn't suit up.

Harsh? Perhaps. In line with the treatment of concussion that we've seen so far in 2019? Absolutely.

But Broad has played 23 games for the Tigers in 2019, and Graham 16. Others likely to miss out if the Tigers win are Sydney Stack (17 games), Mabior Chol (nine), Ryan Garthwaite (seven) and Jack Ross (seven).

It's fair to say they've made pivotal contributions to Richmond's on-field fortunes this year, and would be wholly deserving of a premiership medallion - should the Tigers come away with a win on Saturday afternoon.

To argue against that would be cruel, but as it stands the AFL is only minting 22 premiership medallions. Meaning if Broad, Graham, or anyone else succumbs to injury or omission, they'll miss out on the ultimate prize and a place in history.

https://africa.espn.com/afl/story/_/id/27658666/afl-hand-premiership-medals-all-contributors

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #332 on: September 21, 2019, 03:33:09 PM »
Richo just said on Ch 7 that Graham's shoulder may have popped out 4 times last night  :P.

After every heavy collision he must have gone off and got it put back in again then came back on. That's freakishly tough.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #333 on: September 21, 2019, 04:21:17 PM »
Someone said he was second for pressure points and tackling for the team. This after dislocating his shoulder in the first quarter.... :gobdrop
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #334 on: September 21, 2019, 04:32:06 PM »
What a machine. I think he'll getup for the granny

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #335 on: September 21, 2019, 04:59:35 PM »
He 100% cannot play.

Total liability, especially if his shoulder even came out for a second time let alone a third or fourth.

Once it's done your arm is cooked, no strength with the arm above your head or away from your side.

Sorry Jack, love your spirit and appreciate the commitment, but there is no way in hell you should be playing if you can't guarantee your tackles will stick and the shoulder will hold up.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #336 on: September 21, 2019, 05:35:14 PM »
Proved his worth last night. Tough as dogs nuts, future leader. Not a champion talent but a champion heart. Don't know if that makes sense but it does to me...:shh

Thanks for your commitment Jack
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #337 on: September 21, 2019, 05:54:18 PM »
Graham on Ch 7 just said he will do everything to play. Get it strapped up and have some painkillers.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #338 on: September 21, 2019, 07:44:03 PM »
Proved his worth last night. Tough as dogs nuts, future leader. Not a champion talent but a champion heart. Don't know if that makes sense but it does to me...:shh

Thanks for your commitment Jack

Makes sense

Scary I know but I get it
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #339 on: September 21, 2019, 09:38:26 PM »
Richmond midfielder, Jack Graham dislocated his right shoulder in last night’s preliminary final win over Geelong. 

Following scans today, and after consultation with the Club’s medical team, Graham will undertake some rehabilitation and strengthening work this week in a bid to play in Saturday’s AFL Grand Final. 

The Club will make a decision on his availability later in the week.

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2019-09-21/graham-broad-medical-update

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #340 on: September 23, 2019, 11:26:26 PM »
"[Graham is] much the same as the last couple of days, he seems in pretty good spirits," Cotchin said.

"His shoulder probably isn't as bad as they expected, but it'll just be one of those ones they need to make sure he's fine to play on Saturday."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-09-23/tough-tiger-still-a-fighting-chance-to-play-in-grand-final

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #341 on: September 24, 2019, 01:41:14 PM »
Graham at training this morning.

Giving himself every opportunity 👊 #gotiges

https://twitter.com/Richmond_FC

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #342 on: September 24, 2019, 01:59:00 PM »
But can he throw his arm out to the side and lay a tackle on a bloke running past? I severely doubt it!

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #343 on: September 24, 2019, 02:33:38 PM »
Needs to pass the "Francis Bourke test" at the final training session...:shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #344 on: September 24, 2019, 02:40:32 PM »
Needs to pass the "Francis Bourke test" at the final training session...:shh
Graham to go on and coach three flags?