Author Topic: Ryan Garthwaite [merged]  (Read 40589 times)

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Pick 72. Ryan Garthwaite
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2016, 10:03:53 PM »
If Garthwaite's the new Tivendale then who'll be the new Hyde? :shh

Hyde on Goode's will never leave my memory  :rollin

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2016, 10:21:27 PM »
VIDEOS:

Ryan Garthwaite v WA (2016 Under 18 Championships):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlzDsNbO8xk

Ryan Garthwaite (2016 NAB AFL U18 All Stars): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqQetB5aMGg

Personally he looks limited.  That may be fine if he knows his strengths and can play to them.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2016, 10:49:51 PM »
At pick 72 his chances are already fairly slim....at pick 72 for Richmond..... :whistle
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Raoul Duke

• Premiership Captain
  • Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2016, 11:46:00 PM »
Wasn't that long ago experts rated him the best 1 on 1 defender in this draft.
Will go down as one of the biggest steals in draft history.
The possibility of physical and mental collapse is now very real. No sympathy for the Devil, keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2016, 12:23:17 AM »
I know this kid and his family quite well.

A very down to earth, shy, hardworking kid who will do what it takes to get there. Awkward kicking action that will find its mark but I reckon it lacks penetration. A good reader of the play. Glad we got him.

Never seen anyone post this and go on to say "won't make it" :lol

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2016, 12:28:10 AM »
Oh and eh. More than a few dodgy handballs in those highlights... he'll fit right in

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2016, 03:48:35 AM »
Ryan Garthwaite
Murray Bushrangers (TAC Cup), 193cm, 84kg

VIDEO: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2016-11-25/2016-draft-pick-72-ryan-garthwaite-jrz

Garthwaite is a versatile defender from the Murray Bushrangers, who was a GWS Academy member in 2016 and also represented the Allies in the under-18 national championships.

He played 12 games for the Bushrangers in the 2016 season, finishing equal second in their best and fairest, playing as key defender.

Garthwaite prides himself on his ability to negate the opposition’s best forwards, while also displaying the ability to drop off and intercept. 

This was best illustrated in the TAC Cup grand final against Sandringham, where he finished with 24 possessions, nine marks (two contested and three from the opposition), six rebound-50s and six tackles. 

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2016-11-25/pick-78

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2016, 04:56:22 AM »
Ryan Garthwaite: Another key-position GWS Academy prospect that starred for Murray in last week’s preliminary final. Garthwaite was an impenetrable wall against the Chargers, named best on ground by the Bushrangers after taking five marks — of which four were contested — and producing several long kicks out of defence that cleared danger. The full-back is the best one-on-one key defender in the TAC Cup, either winning or neutralising 93 per cent of his one-on-one contests this season, according to Champion Data.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/the-potential-top10-picks-to-watch-times-dates-and-teams--ultimate-guide-to-tac-cup-grand-final/news-story/653fc0e9825b6fb9964e3c0575ba2970

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2016, 05:41:24 AM »
I will say this, he doesn't squib or fall over when marking like downward facing dog.  Win.
Lots of people name their swords......

Online georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2016, 03:31:35 PM »
I will say this, he doesn't squib or fall over when marking like downward facing dog.  Win.

Very true and kicking might be awkward but hardly missed a target.

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2016, 03:45:01 PM »
Good luck to him and hope he has a long and successful career with us

Sticky Fingers

« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2016, 08:45:15 PM »
This kid looks like a very good contested mark for a defender from the highlights I have seen, although I acknowledge there is a big step between TAC and AFL.

I assume that is a pretty handy attribute to have as a defender. Not that many coaches would want you going for your marks, but he obviously reads the ball in flight really well and can get his mitts to it.

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2016, 08:49:27 PM »
At pick 72 his chances are already fairly slim....at pick 72 for Richmond..... :whistle

He's our very own Kyle Archibald. 14 years on.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

FlashGordon

« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2016, 09:06:55 AM »
Welcome to tigerland Ben Darrou...no, my mistake, Daryl Bratthwaite.   Solid one on one defender that cant kick...its groundhog day at tigerland. Thought we updated the recruiting strategy

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2016, 09:26:59 AM »
Welcome to tigerland Ben Darrou...no, my mistake, Daryl Bratthwaite.   Solid one on one defender that cant kick...its groundhog day at tigerland. Thought we updated the recruiting strategy
He has an awkward kicking action but hits his targets. Disposal efficiency was over 70% IIRC.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.