Author Topic: Ryan Garthwaite [merged]  (Read 40585 times)

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Ryan Garthwaite [merged]
« Reply #90 on: February 26, 2018, 11:34:18 AM »
Looks more like Grimes MkII to me....
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #91 on: February 26, 2018, 04:18:36 PM »
 :clapping :clapping couldn't fault him

Online yandb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #92 on: February 26, 2018, 05:17:30 PM »

No where near as agile as Grimes.

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #93 on: February 26, 2018, 08:18:48 PM »

And you could tell that from the game?

Online The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #94 on: February 26, 2018, 08:21:49 PM »
:clapping :clapping couldn't fault him

Agreed...looks like a future reliable defender and did okay in the ruck just quietly.

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #95 on: February 26, 2018, 09:59:47 PM »

I had a radar gun and can confirm it....
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #96 on: February 26, 2018, 10:01:24 PM »

I had a radar gun and can confirm it....
Well then, that's ok.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #97 on: April 18, 2018, 11:06:45 PM »
Ryan Garthwaite bides his time for senior call-up with Richmond

Beau Greenway
Border Mail
18 April 2018

Ryan Garthwaite is edging closer and closer to an AFL debut with reigning premiers Richmond.

The Corowa-Rutherglen and Murray Bushrangers export played in the Tigers’ pre-season clash with Essendon and was an emergency for the round three victory over Hawthorn.

Garthwaite recently featured in Richmond’s VFL win against Port Melbourne.

However, the competition for senior spots is fierce with the Tigers only dropping one of their first four games, falling to Adelaide in a rematch of last year’s grand final in round two.

“We had a good pre-season and had that fire in our belly to want to keep improving,” Garthwaite said.

“My aim is to keep working hard and keep improving to be ready for when my time comes.

“I’m learning off some of the best defenders ever to play the game, so I’m very happy.

“The competition for spots is very high, but I think it’s a good predicament to be in.

“It pushes everyone to keep improving, which I think is healthy for a club.”

Garthwaite’s key goal is working on his strength.

“Mine is my marking and my competitiveness playing down back,” he said.

“It’s about playing my role and enjoying my footy, which is something I want to keep improving.

“We learnt a lot of things from the Adelaide game to take away, which is a bonus at the start of the year.

“We’ve been working hard and the boys have come out in the last two weeks and put on some really good performances.”

Garthwaite caught up with fans in Wodonga on Tuesday during Richmond’s visit to the region.

The club has used this week to spend some time in the community before preparing for its Anzac eve clash with Melbourne next Tuesday.

https://www.bordermail.com.au/story/5351334/ryan-garthwaite-bides-his-time-for-senior-call-up-with-richmond/

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #98 on: April 18, 2018, 11:27:34 PM »
Really like this kid we got a keeper here could be another Grimes still learning but signs a good.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #99 on: May 10, 2018, 03:13:39 AM »
Richmond assistant coach Ben Rutten provides an insight into the impressive development of young Tiger key defender Ryan Garthwaite.

His progress this year?

“’Garthy’ is one of those guys that you can’t question with his work-rate and his desire to get better. He’s only a second-year player, but he’s taken on a big responsibility with the backline group. He’s had Ben Miller there and Noah Balta, the last few weeks, to work with, and he’s a bit of a wise head back there for us as well. He’s consistently playing really well himself, but he’s also being able to make other people around him better, which is a great strength of his . . . He’s able to nullify and often beat his direct opponent, but he’s also able to come off and help his other teammates out as well.”

Learning from seasoned Tiger backs?

“It’s a bit of a flow-down effect, really. They’re able to help Garthy and then Garthy’s able to apply that knowledge himself, but then also teach and help coach Ben Miller and Noah Balta, for example . . . He just keeps building, and we’re seeing some great results on-field . . . He’s a really long spoiler and he’s getting more confidence and more decisive about when it is the time to spoil, and when’s the time to go for his marks. He’s been balancing that out better of late, and he’s really hard to play against. He is one of the most competitive players we’ve got on our list and he just hates getting beaten. So he’s getting a few more tools to be able to make sure that doesn’t happen very often.”

His JLT pre-season performance v Essendon?

“He handled himself really well in the game. We were really pleased and took a lot of confidence out of his ability to come in and play his role there. In that game (Toby), Nankervis went down during the game and Garthy had a run through the ruck. That was something we hadn’t seen much before from him, but he competed well and had a couple of hit-outs to advantage as well.”

His key focus area?

“He’s just really driven and concentrating on repeating his form week after week and making some really good habits out there. We don’t expect him to be perfect and get it right every time, but the way he’s able to stay involved in the contest and keep backing up is terrific.”

Confident he could handle senior league football?

“He’s in some really good form at the moment and he’s ready to go when the opportunity arises. The way he’s been playing and leading those guys in defence has been terrific, and he’d only learn more by coming up to play at AFL level.” 

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2018-05-09/coaches-corner-ryan-garthwaite

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #100 on: May 10, 2018, 07:28:33 PM »
Even if he doesn't get up been one of biggest improvers and impressive one for the future.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Promising Tigers youngster in early contract talks

Jennifer Phelan
afl.com.au
May 17, 2018

RICHMOND has entered into preliminary talks with the management of Ryan Garthwaite about extending the promising defender's contract.

Garthwaite, 19, has been on the Tigers' list since the end of 2016 and is yet to play an AFL game.

The strength of the Tigers' backline and form of tall defenders Alex Rance, David Astbury and Dylan Grimes has made it hard for the youngster to break into the senior side.

But he's been considered at match committee on more than one occasion this season, having been named as an emergency for the Tigers' round three clash with Hawthorn and on the weekend for their round eight win over North Melbourne.

It is understood that early talks have been had about a new deal, with the versatile backman set to come out of contract at the end of this season.

Garthwaite was taken with pick No.72 overall in the 2016 NAB AFL Draft after showcasing his elite skills at the national combine that year.

The former Murray Bushranger recorded the equal best result in the clean hands test and finished in the top 10 of the goal-kicking assessment.

The Tigers have also held early talks with Jack Higgins' manager about potentially extending his current draftee contract by another two years.

However, the majority of their out-of-contract players are in a holding pattern when it comes to extension talks, as the Tigers continue to be linked to highly-priced restricted free agent Tom Lynch.

Premiership players Bachar Houli, Shaun Grigg, Jacob Townsend and Nathan Broad are coming out of contract and yet to make any significant headway in negotiations, while fringe players Sam Lloyd, Corey Ellis, Connor Menadue and Anthony Miles are also unsure of their futures at Punt Road.

The much-improved Jayden Short and reborn midfielder Reece Conca are also out of contract, as are Oleg Markov, Ivan Soldo, Shai Bolton and the injury-hit Nathan Drummond.

Ruckman Shaun Hampson is in the final year of his contract, but it's widely expected this will be the former Blue's last at AFL level given his on-going battle with a back injury that has restricted him to just one VFL game this season.

Rance recently said he was "really proud" of the way the Tigers have handled their list management over the last few years.

He also told Fox Footy he didn't "necessarily believe that we should be upsetting the apple cart to go and chase a big fish", before calling Lynch "the big tuna".

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-05-17/promising-tigers-youngster-in-contract-talks

Lebowski

Lock him in

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
Didn't Broad resign for 2 years ?.

Online the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Hmm put yourself in his shoes.
If the goal is to play regular AFL footy then the odds of him getting a game in the future are negligble. Rance, Grimes, Astbury even Broad could keep him out for yrs to come.

If the aim is to play Afl then if in his shoes i would  be reluctant to extend knowing there would be a good chance to get a game with another club.

The exact same can be said for the young tall fwds which is exasperated by the fact there is only one tall spot up for grabs and if Lynch comes and we change tack and play two talls the likelyhood of getting a game is slim.A player like Moore may want out for lack of opportunity or he may be delisted who knows. And Townsend may miss out to make room in the 22 for Lynch.

Corey Ellis who knows if they will keep him or cut him.

Menadue would surely be weighing up his options considering those who are regularly getting a game in front of him.

Would have thought Bolton could be traded given the number of small fwds we have on the list. He may be holding out so he can go home who knows.

Markov could be cut as well as Drummond Markov has some stiff competition for a spot in the back half and i  wonder if hes done enough to even be retained.

Grigg is turning 31 in april next yr and is treading water and heading backwards. It could be Menadue plays instead.

Houli is 30 and so far this yr has far too often reverted back to the Houli of old. Short, Broad, Vlastuin, Rance, Grimes, Astbury . Not sure Markov has done enough to be kept or if he will look elsewhere.

Lloyd and Conca are nothing more than foot soldiers and would prefer to keep Miles.

Soldo has shown enough to have his contract renewed

Some you dont mind losing but some you want keep but may go for more opportunity.