Author Topic: Tiger Training  (Read 906030 times)

Offline Roar

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • Tigers to thrive in 2005
    • www.yellowandbBlack.info/ - Where true Tigers Roar
Re: Tiger Training
« Reply #75 on: January 25, 2006, 07:12:06 AM »

Tigers Training ? On Track!
11:15:11 AM Tue 24 January, 2006
Richmond Strength & Conditioning Coach Matt Hornsby
richmondfc.com.au

With only five weeks remaining before we take on Hawthorn in the NAB Cup, it is pleasing to have a healthy group of players on the training track. With the exception of Mark Chaffey we have all players involved in our main training sessions. Mark missed the last five games of the 2005 season due to osteitis pubis and has worked extremely hard with our medical team and Warren Kofoed (Rehabilitation Coordinator) to overcome the injury. Mark has been progressing through running sessions of increasing duration and intensity and is now only two weeks off joining in training. He will have a reduced pre-season campaign that will allow him to progress to the season proper.

The other player whose rehabilitation has created a lot of interest is Nathan Brown. Like Chaff, Browny?s a highly motivated athlete who has been totally committed to his rehabilitation program. My concern was that he may lose his speed, however our testing in early January showed that there has been no decrease in his speed and power which is a great sign considering this is one of Nathan?s most important assets.

In structuring the pre-season program, the coaches placed a big emphasis on small group sessions that allow players to focus on key areas that are critical to the success of their game. The players have been exposed to the knowledge and experience of our own coaching group plus the likes of Brian Taylor, Dale Weightman, Mick McGuane, Steve Alessio and Joe Misiti. The feedback from the players has been extremely positive and this exposure will certainly assist in fast-tracking the development of our younger players.

The conditioning focus has continued to be one of developing speed endurance, power and strength. The majority of our running sessions are short, high intensity intervals with varying rest periods and also include components of agility. It was really pleasing to see that this power/speed focus related to significant improvements in the speed testing that we conducted two weeks ago. The player?s endurance ability has again been measured by a time trial at ?The Tan?. Considering our focus on multi-paced running versus continuous endurance running, it was great to see that our average time had reduced by 10 seconds compared to this time last year. One of the important factors in this improvement is the intensity and volume of our main training sessions. Our Global Positioning Satellite (GPS) tracking software has indicated that many of our training sessions are pushing players to between 13 and 16 kilometres ? certainly great preparation for the workload required on game day.

Another change to this pre-season has been the addition of a Weight Training Coach, Mark Cera. Mark worked at Tigerland in the mid 90?s and also spent four years at the Saints. He has introduced the players to a number of different exercises, many of which he experienced whilst working at the Guangdong Institute of Sport, China in 2005.

At this time of the year there are 16 AFL clubs talking up their pre-season and certainly at Richmond we?re happy with the way the players have responded to the challenges that we?ve thrown at them so far. However the real test commences March 31 when the home and away season begins.

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=243479

By the way great pics one-eyed.

GO TIGES !!!                   Roar

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #76 on: January 25, 2006, 08:31:46 AM »
You've gotta go on Friday Moi, especially if its going to be hot.  Just imagine all those shirts off!  You can always run around with a water spray bottle cooling down the players. ;)

On a more serious note, MT & WP I just love these training reports - and not for the obvious.

Moi

« Reply #77 on: January 25, 2006, 09:05:57 AM »
Any requests Julz?  Nah, i reckon i know what you want  :rollin

Offline boxa

• Tiger Rookie
« Reply #78 on: January 25, 2006, 10:57:08 AM »
Hi All

I have been reading and enjoying the training reports and getting my tigers fix. So I thought I should join up and thank all that take the trouble to do them. Its much appreciated.

Cheers

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #79 on: January 25, 2006, 12:56:48 PM »
Back from training this morning. I got there around 10am and it went until about 11.30am or thereabouts. Chaffey, Browny and Thursfield were separate from the main group. Browny was on the massage table getting a massage on his right leg then he sat on the boundary with ice around his right ankle. No concern as he later on got up and joined in.

Training today was mainly focussed on kick-ins.

For the first drill, the squad was split into whites versus blacks for a full ground rebound from the kick-in. A huddle at CHB was formed and the players would break in different directions to receive. The side with the ball had to work their way up the field. It was all 1-on-1 stuff and It seemed that part of the drill was to mark then kick to the next lead further up the field as one or two marks were dropped but the mark was still paid. There was also no breaking the lines with teammates running past for the handball. I noticed Newman did a number of the kick-ins. Overall pretty well done by the boys.

The second drill was again a kick-in drill but this time the squad was split into two groups one at each end of the ground and the task restricted to about half the ground each. Within each of these groups the players were split into three teams - whites, blacks and reds (singlets). While two of the teams battled it out the third team rested. I can't remember the teams off the to of my head. I'll wait till I get blow up the photos tonight but from memory (I could have one or two wrong):

Blacks: Richo, Krakouer, P.Bowden, J.Bowden
Whites: Hall, Schulz (#44 I think today), Sugar
Reds: Moore, Jackson, Polo, Oakley-Nicholls

The object of this drill was one team would clear from the kick-in, once again breaking and receiving from a huddle at CHB. They then needed to kick it to an assistant coach who was standing on what would be a HFF. The group at the Station end had to kick it to "Chocco" Royal with Wallace's booming voice telling them to "kick it to Chocco".

Once Chocco got it the other team would become the attacking side and they needed to work the ball back and have a shot on goal. This drill was also designed to get the boys in sync with the new kick-in rule that once a score is signalled by the umpire you bring the ball back in straight away without needing to wait for the flags to be waved. I noticed Bowden and Sugar were doing the kick-ins IIRC.

Alot of 1-on-1 stuff and pretty full-on physically which was good to see as well as entertaining. "Paddo" Bowden got wrapped up in a ripper of a tackle by Razor from memory. Paddo also copped alot of teasing from his brother and Richo when he was shooting for goal lol. Sarge copped a knock to side of his thigh when Richo ran through him. He then sat on the boundary and hobbled off the ground at the end of training but he I think it was just a knock and he should be alright.

The teams finished fairly even at the end of the drill. The Reds got behind early on and Wallace was yelling out "the Reds are in a bit of trouble" but they fought back well by the end. Overall the drill was fairly well executed. Oakley-Nicholls did some nice things and showed off his pace.

Wallace then brought the boys in together for the next task. Browny joined the boys at this stage while the ruckmen (Simmonds, Razor, Knobel, Graham) did some tapwork jumping into a bag at the side. The rest of the squad was then split into whites and blacks.

The whites were asked to do ball-wrestling whereby they would pair up and one player had to get the ball off the other while staying on their feet. Good for a laugh. Jackson copped a ribbing from the coaches for spending "more time on the ground than the grass" lol. Meanwhile the blacks got in threes and played 2:1 keepings off. After about 5-10 minutes the whites and blacks swapped over.

That was then it. A few boys stayed on the ground at the Yarra Falls end to do push-ups and alike. Tuck, Kellaway, Rodan, Raines, Roach, Limbach, Pattison and Stafford worked on their goalkicking. Lids tried a couple shots right on the boundary line at the Station end and kicked one off the side of his boot up onto the roof of Sherrin Stand :lol.

Anyway photos to come. I think there's one that Moi may enjoy of Rainesy lol.       
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #80 on: January 25, 2006, 01:03:17 PM »
Welcome to OER boxa :).

MT, Friday's gonna be hot i'd say - do they ever call off training in that heat - or maybe they'd change to an earlier part of the day.
In which case, you could rock up and they're not there on Friday.
Do the club post if they're changing times or they just go ahead with training as scheduled?
Was thinking of going Friday with my "pervital" camera lol , but not quite sure now - might leave till next week.

It was bloody hot last Friday and it still went ahead. The Wednesday and Friday sessions are in the morning so maybe that's why last Friday still went ahead. I doubt the Club would post if the times were changed as you've got to guess the Monday one anyway since the training schedule for the upcoming week isn't posted until Tuesday sometimes.

Moi

« Reply #81 on: January 25, 2006, 01:07:17 PM »
Anyway photos to come. I think there's one that Moi may enjoy of Rainesy lol.       
Purely a maternal-type enjoyment, of course  ;)

Another great report MT  :thumbsup

Offline Puntroadroar

• Premiership Captain
  • Our Very own Top Gun
« Reply #82 on: January 25, 2006, 04:02:01 PM »
Its been a fantastic read guys/ girls

top stuff !!!  :thumbsup
There's no I in team, but there is 5 i's in Individual Brilliance.

Offline Axel

• Tiger Rookie
« Reply #83 on: January 25, 2006, 10:01:05 PM »
really nice to meet you today mightytiges :shh
Nathan Foleys #1 Fan

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #84 on: January 26, 2006, 01:31:21 AM »
Forgot to mention one other thing from training. When Richo took a mark about 20m out from goal basically directly in front, instead of taking the set shot, he played on and was tackled straight away  :stupid. Wallace shook his head and yelled to Richo, "You marked 20m out so you go back and take your kick. When will you learn Richo" :nope.

ps. nice to meet you today too Axel. Welcome to OER.

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #85 on: January 26, 2006, 01:51:36 AM »
 :lol :lol

Richo, gotta love him!  :thumbsup

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #86 on: January 26, 2006, 01:54:42 AM »
Drill 1

Thumbnails:

Huddle at CHB break en masse // Wallace chats to the squad

Drill 2

Paddo vs Joel

Thumbnails:

The Whites - Hall, Stafford, Kellaway, Schulz and Moore // Patto and the big fella

Reds vs Whites // The Reds - Tuck, Raines, Polo and Sugar

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #87 on: January 26, 2006, 02:07:57 AM »
Drill 3

The big boys practice their tapwork

Thumbnails:

Whites ball-wrestling // Blacks playing keepings off

Whites all fall down  // Blacks turn at ball-wrestling