Author Topic: Dustin Martin's contract talk thread / Dusty a Tiger for next 7 years [update]  (Read 164289 times)

Offline Tigershark

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Dustin Martin's contract talk thread [merged]
« Reply #705 on: August 24, 2017, 09:07:51 PM »
North keep upping their offer and Dusty keeps telling them to pee off.
cos they are desperate as they missed Kelly and are throwing ridiculous cash at one player

How do you know?

Online torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #706 on: August 24, 2017, 09:12:24 PM »
North keep upping their offer and Dusty keeps telling them to pee off.
cos they are desperate as they missed Kelly and are throwing ridiculous cash at one player

How do you know?

So Dusty will take it?

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #707 on: August 24, 2017, 09:13:18 PM »
If it turns out that one Dustin Martin re commits to the RFC He wouldn't want his form to drop off.

1.1 / 1.2 million a year and he flatlines after this year, there will be a lynch mob down at Punt Rd, people have long memories.

I'm leaning to saying see ya later, get the pick/s stash the cash and lure a Tom Lynch.

Martin can have his coin at Norf and wallow in mediocrity.

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dustin Martin contract: $2.8m gap between Richmond and North offers (H-Sun)
« Reply #708 on: August 24, 2017, 09:54:03 PM »
Dustin Martin contract: $2.8m gap between Richmond and North Melbourne offers, Gary Buckenara urges Tigers to find money

JON RALPH,
Herald Sun
25 August 2017

RICHMOND has been urged to up its offer to Dustin Martin, with the superstar free agent staring in the face of a $2.8 million salary sacrifice to stay at Punt Road.

The Tigers’ best offer is $1.1 million over seven years — $400,000 a year short of the staggering $1.5 million a season offered by North Melbourne.

The Kangaroos’ offer is the biggest in the game’s history, eclipsing mega deals for Gary Ablett, Lance Franklin, Tom Scully and Tom Boyd.

Martin, 26, will sit down with father Shane in New Zealand next week to make the biggest decision of his eight-year football career.

Richmond will not be able to get near that $1.5m offer given wage commitments to high earners Trent Cotchin, Alex Rance, Jack Riewoldt and Dion Prestia

But like Riewoldt and Cotchin before him, he might stay if the Tigers are able to show they have come some way to bridging that gap.

The North Melbourne offer is almost double the $825,000 a season Martin was initially offered by the Tigers at the start of this season.

Veteran list managers Chris Pelchen and Gary Buckenara yesterday told the Herald Sun the Tigers would have some cap wiggle room.

The salary cap will climb to $12.6 million next year, with over $1 million in marketing allowances through the additional services agreement.

Buckenara said Martin also had to decide if he was prepared to be tagged and physically targeted every week as a North Melbourne player.

Hawthorn and St Kilda list builder Pelchen said under the new CBA there was “scope” for a team in finals contention to pay in excess of $1.1 million to a “franchise player”.

“It is risk versus return. In the case of someone like Dusty who could be the difference, it wouldn’t surprise me if they extend their offer,’’ he said.

“With the increase in the CBA there is the chance that a club like that will have some scope.”

“If you look at Riewoldt, Rance and Cotchin as their highest paid player, they still don’t have a $1m player yet.

“If he is considered a franchise player, in such circumstances you have to pay above the market rate. The effect is that it limits your mid-range players. Instead of having players in the B grade range, you have a couple of C graders.”

Former Hawthorn recruiting boss Buckenara, forced to let go of Lance Franklin under a $10 million, nine-year deal, believes the Tigers could sell an increased offer to their fans.

“If they lose him at the moment they are going to take a big hit. As a club they need to be seen to be doing their very best to keep him.

“Maybe they can go another $50,000 or $100,000 a year as a goodwill gesture. They could say it is the highest offer ever in the history of our football club.

“Then they can say they have done their best. If the members don’t think they have done their best and he leaves they might pull the joint down.”

Buckenara says it is an impossible decision for Martin given the attractions of both offers.

“He can say an extra three million dollars over seven years, what will that do for me?’’ Buckenara said.

“I have got a small window of opportunity in my life and that will buy me a few more investment properties, set me up for the rest of my life.

“But he seems quite happy at Richmond and if he goes to North who are a struggling side, which player is every club going to target?

“At Richmond he has Cotchin and other players around him, but that weighs into the decision.

“Will you enjoy it getting smashed from pillar to post week in and week out, getting very little support around you?”

“Or is there another club we don’t know about yet?”

'It's ridiculous money'

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/richmond-face-28m-gap-on-north-melbournes-huge-dustin-martin-contract-offer/news-story/9b8a8734762061522f7b267e890242a9

Online Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #709 on: August 24, 2017, 10:10:04 PM »
I heard that the magpies had Dusty in their new blueprint at the last board meeting.  :shh :whistle
The club that keeps giving.

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dusty’s decision: Take North’s money or win a flag with Richmond (theRoar)
« Reply #710 on: August 25, 2017, 04:42:59 AM »
Dusty’s decision: Take North’s money or win a flag with Richmond

Josh Mitchell
theRoar.com.au
25 August 2017

If Dustin Martin wants a premiership medallion, then he either needs to drag the Tigers over the line this year, when they shouldn’t win the flag, or re-sign.

Rumours this week have suggested North Melbourne are now offering Martin $10.5 million over seven years – $1.5 million per season, for what will likely take him to the end of his career.

When Martin first announced that he wanted to put off negotiations over his contract to the end of the season, I laughed as the media and fans kept telling Richmond to up their offer and pay the man.

His deferment had little to do with money and everything to do with Richmond’s trajectory after a poor 2016, and three first-round finals eliminations in the years prior to that.

That’s still what a lot of it’s about. However, North have now gone to obscene measures to try and present a ‘Godfather’ offer to Martin – one that he can’t refuse.

There are a number of questions though, that come with taking the Kangaroos up on their offer.

Firstly, there’s North’s current position. They’re battling it out for the wooden spoon this weekend against Brisbane, and they’re not going to be competing for a premiership in the next few seasons.

Richmond will be. 2017 is premature, but give them another consistent tall in the forward 50, and another year or two of development into the current list, and they’ll be in the mix for the next five or so years.

Second is North’s list management. If they’re spending over ten per cent of the salary cap on Martin, that’s a lot less available to pay the other 43 players on their list. Wayne Carey was right this week, when he said the amount North is offering Martin is too much to one player. It’s putting all your eggs in one basket.

Right now, Martin is Richmond’s version of Michael Jordan – great, great player, but Jordan’s greatness was assisted by those around him. So it is with Dusty – can North’s support network provide him the same as he’s getting at Richmond? Can they generate the chemistry that exists between Trent Cotchin and Martin? Do they all balance one another neatly?

Third is Dusty himself. For a media-shy personality, he hasn’t exactly been the type to avoid headlines throughout his career. Richmond have bent over backwards to help him through some of his struggles, and he’s a part of the family at Punt Road.

Does he get the same support when he’s the $10 million man at Arden Street?

Four years ago, part of the decision for clubs to not take Martin was that they knew he was at home at Richmond and didn’t have the passion to go elsewhere. From what I’ve seen of North – particularly toward the end of last year – their administration doesn’t have the same supportive attitude toward their players that the Tigers have provided Martin over the first half of his career.

If Martin takes the big bucks on offer from North Melbourne, in seven years’ time, he’ll sit exactly where Gary Ablett sits right now – having tried and tried to carry an entire team on his shoulders, and wondering whether chasing the money was the right call.

As a final thought, Richmond supporters, don’t think it’s the end of the world if he does take the money.

Martin’s defection would be on par with Lance Franklin or Patrick Dangerfield – but neither Adelaide nor Hawthorn went backwards from the previous season after losing two of the biggest names in the league.

AFL is a team sport, and as good as one player can be, individuals don’t win flags.

If North Melbourne want to learn that lesson the hard way, then let them.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2017/08/25/dustys-decision-take-norths-money-win-flag-richmond/

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
AFL: Dustin Martin visited North Melbourne players while weighing up $10m offer from North Melbourne

By Paul Zalunardo
Channel 9: Wide World Of Sports
25 August 2017

Brownlow Medal favourite Dustin Martin is still weighing up arguably the greatest decision an Australian-based sportsperson has ever had to make.

News that the Richmond star has a $10million deal offer from the North Melbourne Kangaroos still on the table leaves him with more than just the Tigers’ final campaign to worry about.

AFL Footy Show reporter Damian Barrett said the scenario for Martin was a simple one. He can stay with Richmond on a deal worth an estimated $8million over seven years, or head to the Roos for an additional $2m over the same period.

''Richmond can’t match the offer, they are going to be probably $2m short over that seven-year period in what they can pitch, so it comes down to Martin wanting to stay for less or go for the money,’’ Barrett said on Thursday night’s AFL Footy Show program.

A sign of how seriously Martin is considering North’s offer is that he met with key members of the Roos six weeks ago to get a gauge on the club. North captain Jack Ziebell and key defender Robbie Tarrant were reportedly part of the group charges with winning over the New Zealand-born star.

''We now know that North are very serious about it and are not dying wondering,’’ Barrett said.

With his playing future, the AFL finals and a the likelihood of a Brownlow Medal to keep Martin occupied over the next six weeks, the amount of attention that follows him is sure to grow.

http://wwos.nine.com.au/2017/08/25/06/31/richmond-tigers-star-dustin-martin-weighs-up-10m-dollar-offer

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
The world will keep spinning if Dusty leaves Richmond: KB (SEN)
« Reply #712 on: August 25, 2017, 11:29:58 AM »
KB's Take | The world will keep spinning if Dusty leaves Richmond

By Kevin Bartlett
SEN
25 August 2017

It wouldn’t worry me if Dustin Martin walked away from the Richmond Football Club.

And I’ve always thought that Martin would stay at Richmond.

He would stay because CEO Brendan Gale and director of football Neil Balme would make an offer that was fair and reasonable for the talent of Dustin Martin.

For they are outstanding administrators and they would be honest and upfront with Martin with their best offer.

And the club would be confident it has created an environment and support and development for Martin to enjoy his footy and get the best out of himself.’

If Martin moves because it’s all about money and only money then good luck to him.

He’s a professional footballer with a short career so it would be a business decision.

If he walks out the door the Tigers should shake him by the hand, thank him for his career at Punt Road and shut the book and start looking for the next great player.

For footy clubs are bigger than any individual, great names like Ian Stewart, Billy Barrot, Ron Barassi, Patrick Dangerfield, Buddy Franklin and a host of others have all packed their bags in the past and moved on and the world didn’t stop spinning.

If Martin does walk out of Punt Road the club can look supporters in the eye and say we did our best.

I’m KB, that’s my take.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/08/24/kbs-take-or-the-world-will-keep-spinning-if-dusty-leaves-richmond/

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Pay someone too much and you'll fail: Balme (SEN)
« Reply #713 on: August 25, 2017, 11:31:04 AM »
Pay someone too much and you'll fail: Balme

By SEN
25 August 2017

Richmond football manager Neil Balme says overpaying players sets a club up to fail.

It’s been reported North Melbourne has pushed every chip in to lure Dustin Martin with a seven-year deal at $1.5 million a season. The deal is said to be significantly more than Richmond is willing to pay the Brownlow Medal favourite.

“We want to pay everyone as much as we possibly can but you can’t pay anyone too much and you can’t pay anyone too little,” Balme told SEN’s Hungry for Sport.

“You’ve got to keep working to make sure everyone gets a fair crack at it because that’s what building a team is about. That’s what builds trust from the players to the club and the club to the players. That’s when teams do their best.

“But if you get it wrong and pay someone too much, or pay people too little, then you’ll fail.”

Despite suggestions Martin was on the verge of re-signing at Tigerland some weeks ago, no signature has been forthcoming. Given rival clubs have not pulled out of the race suggests they believe the star playmaker is still very much on the market.

Balme would not be drawn on whether the Tigers most recent offer was final, but intimated no individual was bigger than the club.

“You take things into account, just as you take the rest of the club into account,” he said.

“Every decision will be made for all of our club and all of our players.

“We preach fairness and commitment, everyone in supporting each other and we demand great performance from each other and accept weaknesses…all of that happens but it can only happen if it happens everywhere, from the pay scale to the game to whatever it is.”

The long time footy boss also questioned the logic and wisdom of free agency.

“If Dustin chooses to go somewhere else because the AFL has introduced free agency then so be it,” he said.

“We said at the outset that free agency was going to be very inflationary and its going to give the guy who is getting a bucket load of dough a bucket load more.

“I don’t understand the logic of that because where are the players going to go if they are not getting more money. Their not going to go and play rugby...it makes no sense to me.

“The lesser players are getting less which doesn’t make any sense to me either because that first notion of team first and buying in and every player is as important as the next one when the ball is at their feet is diminished when these inflationary things happen.”

Richmond is looking to lock away top four when it tackles St Kilda at the MCG on Sunday.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/08/25/pay-someone-too-much-and-youll-fail-balme/

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #714 on: August 25, 2017, 11:38:54 AM »
thats right balme so explain to us all how you signed off on prestia getting 750k and how the club paid a  drug addict like yarran getting 3 years for doing sfa.

As for martin. For once KB is right. Enjoy your time at the bottom fella

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #715 on: August 25, 2017, 11:45:01 AM »
After hearing Balmey this morning I have become convinced that Dusty is leaving. We used to hear from him,"we are comfortable with Dusty making up his mind at the end of the year" now we are hearing him bag free agency and preaching fairness.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #716 on: August 25, 2017, 11:50:36 AM »
After hearing Balmey this morning I have become convinced that Dusty is leaving. We used to hear from him,"we are comfortable with Dusty making up his mind at the end of the year" now we are hearing him bag free agency and preaching fairness.

Yep thought the same thing.

His gone IMO but what gets me is it will be for pick 19 compo.  :banghead :banghead

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #717 on: August 25, 2017, 11:53:09 AM »
I'm scared you guys!  :'(

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #718 on: August 25, 2017, 11:57:14 AM »
Maybe I am ready too much into it - but Dusty looked flat when he was being interviewed after the game .  He didn't sound like a guy staying .

He's going to take the ridiculous North Melbourne god father offer .

Adelaide survived Danger leaving
Geelong survived Gazza leaving
West Coast nose dived after Judd left - but was playing prelims 3 seasons after .

We will be ok .

« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 12:22:02 PM by mat073 »
Unleash the tornado

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #719 on: August 25, 2017, 12:37:43 PM »
This why I am beyond caring anymore

There are 2 very clear choices at play here, to suggest otherwise is foolish IMO

My view up until 4 weeks ago has always been he would stay. My gut feel now is he is going (want to be wrong but gut says he's going)

We (the club) kept our end of the bargain, marked improvement this year, no possibility the coach (who he supposedly loves) would be sacked, his team mates (again who he supposedly loves) not pressuring him etc. The club over the journey has gone above and beyond in helping and more to the point protecting this bloke from anything and everything

But 3-4 weeks ago  it seems everything changed and changed dramatically. And now we have this.... I call it a circus... call it whatever you want

Will say it again 2 clear choices

If it's about success, being at a club that's has done so much for you, being with you mates (who've you referred to as "your brothers"), loyalty while at the same earning over a million bucks then you stay

If it's about just the $$$ then you go

Over to you Dusty 

« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 01:28:16 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)