Author Topic: VFL preseason games to be curtain-raisers to our first 3 AFL matches (RFC)  (Read 6625 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
VFL Tigers go down to Bombers

richmondfc.com.au
8 April 2017

Richmond 9.12.66 def by Essendon 21.13.139

The VFL Tigers have tasted defeat for the first time this year, going down to Essendon in their final pre-season match at Punt Road Oval on Saturday.

Essendon came out of the gates with a strong first quarter, and despite the best efforts of the Tigers, the Bombers remained in control for the rest of the game.

Richmond VFL and Development Coach, Craig McRae, said there were positive signs out of his VFL-listed players who had the opportunity to step up in preparation for the opening round of the home-and-away season.

"Going into the game, we wanted to give some guys an opportunity, and it was good to see some of our VFL guys step up", McRae said.

"Billy Coates, for example, had a great game in the back line.

"We exposed some guys to VFL footy, and hopefully it will hold us in good stead".

The day started well for the VFL Tigers, with Connor Menadue slotting the first goal of the day with a composed set shot from 35 metres out.

However, the travellers fought back to control proceedings by the first break, opening up a 36-point lead.

Steven Morris was outstanding in his second competitive game of the year, getting 10 disposals in the first quarter and applying his trademark pressure to every contest.

Taylor Hunt fought valiantly, gathering nine disposals and working tirelessly around the ground, while Oleg Markov also stood out with six disposals and two tackles.

Though it took a while for the VFL Tigers to get up-and-running in the second stanza, Tyson Stengle crumbed well for his first goal of the day.

Jayden Cass then followed suit with a classy effort on the run, before Essendon won a quick clearance and answered back with a goal of their own.

Captain Sam Darley led by example, collecting 12 touches by the half and taking three marks in the process.

Eventually, the VFL Tigers' persistence payed dividends, with Callum Moore slotting two quick-fire goals to halt the Bombers in their tracks.

Moore first made the most of a free kick 25 metres out, before nailing his second after bursting from the pack and snapping cleverly from long range.

Facing a 39-point deficit at the main break, the VFL Tigers continued to throw everything at the contest, but were ultimately unable to catch the Bombers as the wind picked up speed at Punt Road.

With the scoring slowing due to the blustery conditions, the Tigers pushed hard for a way back into the contest, and had a glimmer of hope when James Fletcher kicked truly from 35 metres out halfway through the third term.

However, the Bombers were in fine fettle, with Jackson Merrett and James Stewart both scoring five goals to put daylight between the sides at the final change.

Nonetheless, the VFL Tigers continued to fight until the siren, with Billy Coates' two strong contested marks a particular highlight for the onlooking Tiger faithful.

Anthony Miles capped off an industrious performance with a goal at the start of the fourth quarter to go with his 21 touches - 13 of which were contested.

Max O'Sullivan then crumbed well to add another major to the scoreline, before Essendon grabbed two more goals to finish the contest.

With their final practise match complete, the VFL Tigers can now look to the opening round of the home and away season next week, when they host North Ballarat at Punt Road.

The match will commence at midday on Sunday, April 26.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2017-04-08/vfl-match-report

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
Went along to see how the boys went and it was a battle as the Dons had a good team compared to our mostly young team with plenty of VFL players playing. I must say the standard of umpiring at VL level is extremely poor.

Rested or did not play;
Batchelor
Maric
Townsend
Ellis
Graham
Broad
Gathwaite

VFL regular players;
Beasely
Ballard
Bathie
Kruse
Aarts

Miles - played well under the circumstances as he was the only real contested midfield player we had on the day. Was getting frustrated with young VFL team mates as many of them looked lost. We all know he is a solid player who is ready when required. Solid.

Lloyd - Dea beat him for most of his time forward and when he played in the middle, he got into the game and played well. Very vocal and used the ball well and one a few clearances. Ran out the game well with improved endurance. Was ok.

Hunt - Tried hard all game so a normal game from him and is really depth at this point.

Bolton - Showed some class a few times but the ball wasn't in the forward half that much and the delivery t the forwards was poor most of the day. Got involved up the ground at stages and took a great mark over Dea from a standing start. He has something I like and looks like a player who will play better at the next level and on the G.

Markov - Was ok without being outstanding. Moved well and took the game on when he had an opportunity but got caught out defensively a few times. Played on Francis at times and held his own. Every game I have seen Markov play at VFL is nothing special and IMO is another who plays better at the next level.

Menadue - Played well with lots of hard running and great kicking and was integral with scoring chains. Played across HB and spent time in the middle. I like Menadue so the sooner he plays in the seniors the better. Was good.

Morris - He is an unbelievable leader and just doesn't shut up. Always reminding players about structure and makes sure players hear praise when they put their head over the ball etc. IMO was our best player on the day as he is so hard and constantly does the team things. BOG.

Drummond - What a disappointing day and showed just about nothing. Dea absolutely toweled him up when he played on him and it looks like he has no confidence at all. I would love him to use his pace more in game if he has it as i actually haven't seen much of it. I am not sure about him at this stage as he just doesn't work hard enough or I haven't seen it in the many VFL games i have seen.

Moore - Kicking looks to be improving and it was a hard day for forwards so he didn't see much of it. Kicked 2 goals but I would love to see much use his pace more in game because if he does, no defender could catch him. I like the way he attacks the footy and I feel he would improve playing along side Jack if or when he gets a chance later in the year.

Chol - Looked like he was still feeling the affect of last weeks big hit. Hardly sighted.

Stengle - Has time and space and kicks the ball beautifully to advantage. Tackles and gets into the right position so his game sense is elite. When he gets more experience he could be anything. Jet!

Soldo - Was well beaten by Bellchambers but worked hard throughout the day and shows aggression. His development has been huge and has a future IMO.

Overall the VFL team has had a great practice series and looks set for a good year.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Midfielder Anthony Miles' efforts didn't go unnoticed in the Tigers' final practice game, with his 21 disposals (13 contested) and one goal a highlight despite the heavy 73-point loss.

Forward Sam Lloyd led the possession count for Richmond with 26 touches, while midfielder Connor Menadue (21 disposals, one goal) also found plenty of the ball.

In his second straight game since overcoming a right knee injury, defender Steven Morris began brightly with 10 of his 18 possessions coming in the first quarter.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-04-09/around-the-state-leagues-whos-starring-in-your-clubs-second-tier

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
Getting really ugly now  :help. Last 9 goals to Essendon.  :help.

A turnover in defence leads to another Bombers goal.

DISPOSALS: Morris 10, Hunt 9

Makes sense....

Offline FLATearth

• Future Richmond star
  • For We're From Tigerland
Getting really ugly now  :help. Last 9 goals to Essendon.  :help.

A turnover in defence leads to another Bombers goal.

DISPOSALS: Morris 10, Hunt 9

Makes sense....

Gee whiz  :(