Author Topic: Richmond AFLW team [merged]  (Read 235407 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Richmond AFLW team [merged]
« Reply #1305 on: April 11, 2023, 03:03:02 PM »

New additions:

* Caitlin Greiser (traded from St Kilda)
* Courtney Jones (traded from Gold Coast)
* Molly Eastman (traded from Sydney)
* Shelby Knoll (draft)

This recruitment period has been all about rebuilding the forward line for Richmond, and it has done so rather efficiently.

Courtney Wakefield retired at the end of season seven, and prior to the season even beginning the club bid goodbye to Tayla Stahl, so adding options in attack was vital. Bringing in power forward Caitlin Greiser from St Kilda was the first big win, followed by mid-sized goalkicker Courtney Jones.

The pair will help alleviate the reliance on Katie Brennan as Stella Reid continues to settle into AFLW level. And the attacking line was capped off with draftee Shelby Knoll, a contested marking tall forward who knows where the goals are.

Molly Eastman was the icing on the cake for the Tigers, opting to move back to Victoria to complete her university studies. She will seamlessly fit into the relentless Richmond background and offer plenty of rebound alongside Katelyn Cox and Eilish Sheerin.

With these additions, it looks unlikely that Richmond will go backwards on its successes of last season, finding some real balance at either end of the ground.

https://www.womens.afl/news/118996?_ga=2.74436500.72225617.1679545799-224749430.1603381344

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1306 on: April 20, 2023, 02:58:04 PM »
2023 Richmond AFLW guernsey numbers:

1. Grace Egan
2. Eilish Sheerin
3. Katie Brennan
4. Monique Conti
5. Courtney Jones
7. Sarah Hosking
8. Molly Eastman
9. Caitlin Gresier
11. Jess Hosking
12. Sarah D'Arcy
13. Meagan Kiely
14. Poppy Kelly
15. Rebecca Miller
16. Laura McClelland
17. Katelyn Cox
18. Libby Graham
19. Kate Dempsey
20. Beth Lynch
21. Charley Ryan
22. Ellie McKenzie
23. Shelby Knoll
25. Stella Reid
26. Steph Williams
27. Emelia Yassir
28. Gabrielle Seymour
29. Jemima Woods
35. Maddie Shevlin
36. Amelia Peck
37. Tessa Lavey
38. Meg Macdonald

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1311641/2023-aflw-guernsey-numbers

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1307 on: April 27, 2023, 03:33:50 PM »
We're excited to welcome former Tiger Adam Marcon back to the Club as our midfield development coach.

Richmond 2023 AFLW Coaching Set Up:

Senior Coach: Ryan Ferguson

Assistant Coach, Backs: Lauren Tesoriero

Assistant Coach, Midfield: Shaun Hampson

Assistant Coach, Forwards: Nathan Chapman

Assistant Coach, Forward Development: Emma Grant

Assistant Coach, Midfield Development: Adam Marcon

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1317026/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1308 on: April 28, 2023, 11:53:39 AM »
THE NEXT season of the NAB AFLW competition will kick off during the men's pre-finals bye in the first weekend of September, despite no Collective Bargaining Agreement yet being reached between the players and the AFL.

While season specifics are still up in the air, confirmation of when round one will be held gives clubs the certainty they need to plan for the AFLW season, with pre-season set to officially start on May 29.

No season-opener date has been confirmed with the AFL saying the season will start on "first weekend of September", which keeps the door open for a Thursday or Friday night match to commence the season.

https://www.womens.afl/news/119389?_ga=2.41954211.72225617.1679545799-224749430.1603381344

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1309 on: May 26, 2023, 01:43:47 AM »
Melbourne has thrown a lifeline to delisted Richmond rookie Saraid Taylor.

The 24-year-old has been lining up as a key defender with the Tigers' VFLW affiliate Port Melbourne, having crossed from basketball to join Richmond for season seven.

https://www.womens.afl/news/118856?_ga=2.133295054.1145006116.1684386036-224749430.1603381344

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Last Edit: May 29, 2023, 07:30:21 PM by one-eyed »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1311 on: May 29, 2023, 10:30:20 PM »
More vision from the first day of preseason training:

https://twitter.com/RichmondWomens/status/1663133808991043584

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1313 on: June 05, 2023, 02:27:00 PM »
Age, experience, accolades: How your club's list profile stacks up

Gemma Bastiani
womens.afl
5th June 2023

Average age at September 1: 25 years, 74 days

Under 21s: Ellie McKenzie, Stella Reid, Charley Ryan, Jemima Woods, Emelia Yassir

Over 30s: Katie Brennan, Sarah D'Arcy, Tessa Lavey, Eilish Sheerin

Average experience: 23.8 games (1.7 finals)

Most experienced player: Sarah Hosking (55 career games)

Players yet to make AFLW debut: Amelia Peck, Charley Ryan, Shelby Knoll

Average height: 171.7cm

Former All-Australians: Four, eight All-Australian guernseys in total (Katie Brennan x2, Monique Conti x4, Caitlin Greiser, Eilish Sheerin)

Season seven All-Australians: Monique Conti, Eilish Sheerin

Players remaining from inaugural list (season four): Katie Brennan, Monique Conti, Kate Dempsey, Sarah Hosking, Laura McClelland, Bec Miller, Gabby Seymour

Rising Star nominees: Three

Premiership players: One

Recruiting profile: 11 drafted to Richmond, six rookie/free agency signings, 13 from other clubs

Other accolades: One AFLW Leading Goalkicker (Caitlin Greiser)

https://www.womens.afl/news/119678?_ga=2.132312142.1145006116.1684386036-224749430.1603381344

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Ellie McKenzie interview on 'Passing the Torch' (AFLW)
« Reply #1314 on: June 07, 2023, 11:43:47 AM »
Ellie McKenzie interview on 'Passing the Torch':

LISTEN HERE: https://omny.fm/shows/credit-to-the-girls-an-aflw-podcast/passing-the-torch-ellie-mckenzie

EPISODE GUIDE

0.55 – Richmond touring US colleges over the off-season
3.32 – A continuous footy journey from Auskick to No.1 pick
7.55 – Modelling her game on Isaac Smith, Steele Sidebottom and Marcus Bontempelli
12.15 – Entering a team in transition
15.05 – Battling injuries
19.25 – Richmond's rise up the ladder in season seven
24.04 – The Tigers' midfield mix
26.05 – Leadership with McKenzie

-------------------------------------------------------------

'What do I do now?': Tigers star searching for balance outside 'bubble'

Sarah Black
womens.afl
7 June 2023

STAR Richmond midfielder Ellie McKenzie lives and breathes football, but is learning how to balance her dream job with everyday life.

Away from the field, McKenzie is studying a bachelor of business but also working in the club's Next Generation Academy program.

Having grown up a student of the game – she loves nothing more than watching a random match on the couch with her dad, and nominates Isaac Smith and Steele Sidebottom as somewhat niche favourite players – McKenzie enjoys the fact her job involves watching lots of football, but the struggle for well-roundedness remains.

"I'm figuring out how to balance myself a bit more. I think coming out of last season and going into a really long off-season, I really struggled with not having that structure of football around me, given that was so big for me and has been so big for me forever," McKenzie said.

"Having that period where there was no footy, no scheduled sessions, you didn't have anywhere to be and didn't have to be at the club was a really big shock to the system for me. So I think learning how to balance football with other things in my life, and now having work at the club has really helped that.

"Things like uni and catching up with friends, there's a lot of things you can do, but making sure you're balancing everything in your life so you're not drawing on – I think for me, I'm a big footy nuffy, so football becomes just a massive part of my life.

"Come AFLW season, it's like you're in the bubble, it's all you think about, and then it's over, and it's like, 'What do I do now?'

"I think the last few months have been working through that process of how I can balance myself a bit more to help my mental health."

https://www.womens.afl/news/119766?_ga=2.165849982.1145006116.1684386036-224749430.1603381344

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #1315 on: June 07, 2023, 11:43:12 PM »
Has the potential to and hopefully will be the Dustin Martin of the women’s league.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1316 on: June 20, 2023, 01:40:59 PM »
Preseason training - Out on the track

The Richmond AFLW team took to the track at Collingwood Harriers Athletic Club on Saturday, followed by training at Dominance MMA Gym.

WATCH HERE: https://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/1361551/out-on-the-track

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1317 on: June 27, 2023, 07:28:58 PM »
South Fremantle star Charli Wicksteed signed by AFLW side Richmond

Eliza Reilly
HeraldSun
27 June 2023

South Fremantle star Charli Wicksteed is set to be unavailable for the Bulldogs’ maiden WAFLW finals campaign after signing with Richmond.

While exciting for the 20-year-old midfielder, it is understood to have come at a cost for the Tigers with a player ruled out for the season through injury, opening up a vacant list spot. Last week, Richmond reported that Emelia Yassir (hip) and Tessa Lavey (toe) were battling injuries, the latter in particular suffering a couple of setbacks.

Wicksteed sat out South Fremantle’s thrilling three-point final round victory over Swan Districts on Sunday after the Tigers offered her an AFLW contract.

It’s understood that multiple clubs were interested in securing Wicksteed as an injury-replacement player, forcing Richmond to swoop.

Fremantle, who are still in the process of signing a replacement for injured forward Mikayla Morrison, are believed to have expressed some interest.

Wicksteed was overlooked in April’s supplementary draft but has benefited from teammate Tahleah Mulder being picked up by Fremantle, taking on more responsibility in the back half of the season.

Boasting pace and smarts, the midfielder averaged 14.4 disposals across 13 games this year.

Wicksteed is the latest in a long line of Bulldogs to join Richmond. Shai Bolton, Marlion Pickett and Matthew Parker were all drafted from South Fremantle while utility Steely Green joined the Tigers in last year’s AFL draft.

https://www.codesports.com.au/afl/aflw/south-fremantle-star-charli-wicksteed-signed-by-aflw-side-richmond-set-to-miss-bulldogs-debut-finals-campaign/news-story/da76b926c294fcbe15f497e23f3e5a17

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1318 on: June 27, 2023, 10:29:06 PM »
Confirmed on the Club's website:

Charli Wicksteed joins Richmond

Richmond is pleased to announce that South Fremantle midfielder Charli Wicksteed has committed to the Club for the 2023 AFLW season.

The West Australian joins the Club as a replacement player following Tessa Lavey’s move to the Inactive List.

Wicksteed, 20, has made a terrific start to her football career in the Western Australian Football League Women’s (WAFLW) since switching from hockey.

The youngster has been a prolific player for the Bulldogs through the midfield averaging 14.6 disposals, 3.5 clearances, and 3.7 inside 50s per game in 2023.

She follows in the path of Richmond AFL players Shai Bolton, Marlion Pickett, Matthew Parker and Steely Green who have been drafted to the Tigers from South Fremantle in recent years.

Wicksteed began playing football in 2020 and was a premiership player at South Bunbury in local football in 2021.

The dynamic midfielder/winger excelled straight away before proving her massive promise at a higher level during the 2022 Rio Tinto WA Country Championships, where she was named an All-Star and in the best players for the Grand Final Victory.

Wicksteed has since kicked on to become an influential state league player in just her second year at the level.

Richmond AFLW Recruiting Manager Trent Mosbey said that Wicksteed’s work rate, skill, and decision-making from her state junior hockey days transferred well to her football, adding she was also an excellent kick.

“Charli has impressive power, speed, and evasive movement,” he said.

“Her running patterns and high-end work rate caught our attention, along with her foot skills, clean hands, and smarts to navigate traffic.

“We were impressed by her strong intent and desire to win the contested ball, defend and work hard from the inside to outside.

“Given her football background and her growth mindset, we see a significant upside in Charli, and we are excited to see what she can do wearing the yellow and black. “

Mosbey said that he could see the Bunbury product playing several roles across the ground at the AFLW level, given her range of attributes.

Wicksteed will relocate to Melbourne to join the AFLW Tigers' pre-season preparations this week.

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1366437/charli-wicksteed-joins-richmond

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1319 on: June 27, 2023, 10:32:17 PM »
Lavey placed on Inactive List

Richmond winger Tessa Lavey has been placed on the Club’s inactive list ahead of the 2023 NAB AFLW Season as she manages a delicate injury to her big toe.

Richmond Head of Women’s Football, Kate Sheahan, said the difficult decision would give Lavey the best chance of returning to full fitness.

“Tessa has been incredible with her dedication and commitment to preparing her body for the rigours of playing two professional sports,” she added.

“Her football for us has been outstanding, and while we would love to have her playing in the 2023 season, we have made a collaborative decision with Tessa and our medical team that this is the best course of action.

“Tessa will continue to play a role within the program in 2023 and work diligently through her rehab. We will give her the time she needs to get her body right, allowing her to return to elite football.”

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1363572/lavey-placed-on-inactive-list

Lavey is a significant loss for the upcoming season. Her pace/run on a wing was important for us  :(.