Author Topic: Richmond AFLW team [merged]  (Read 231653 times)

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Richmond AFLW team [merged]
« Reply #1485 on: August 15, 2024, 10:51:14 PM »
Personally I don't think it is.

Also think it was a silly mistake not to list weights and now they've gone and done it to the men also which is desperately woke and annoying given I used to enjoy tracking player weights after draft as they developed physically etc.

I mean I noticed Balta was playing around 194/96 in his premiership season but at last weight was around 102kg which I thought a tad heavy.

Personally I think weights should be updated almost real-time during the season. It would be fascinating to see how a player's composition changes during the rigors of a full year.

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #1486 on: August 16, 2024, 01:16:50 AM »
Personally I don't think it is.

Also think it was a silly mistake not to list weights and now they've gone and done it to the men also which is desperately woke and annoying given I used to enjoy tracking player weights after draft as they developed physically etc.

I mean I noticed Balta was playing around 194/96 in his premiership season but at last weight was around 102kg which I thought a tad heavy.

Personally I think weights should be updated almost real-time during the season. It would be fascinating to see how a player's composition changes during the rigors of a full year.

Weight in professional sport is crucial
As is height

The seppos seem to survive listing weights in their sports

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1487 on: August 16, 2024, 07:32:18 AM »
Just to confirm
And this isn’t baiting

Is it against site rules to point out players that turn up unfit?

We would do it for the blokes 100%

Hopefully the girls turn up ready to rip

Absolutely not, if players are unfit

I don't agree with the weights being removed but understand why they did it for the women and now the men

Not many people (and I'm not just talking this site I'm talking social media in general) called women players unfit, they just got labelled fat. Some even went as far as to say the weights were lies to hide that players were fat.

Some players have been called fat and/or unfit due to their body shape when that's clearly not the case

If any player appears to be s unfit then say they're unfit but unfit doesn't automatically mean fat, there is a difference. But in the AFLW in particular for whatever reason it doesn't appear to be any difference

There's a couple of blokes running around, one at Freo the other at Melbourne who don't appear to fit and one actually appears to carrying a few extra kgs but I haven't read boo about that and that's the difference I'm trying to highlight
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1488 on: August 16, 2024, 08:54:08 AM »
lol - yeah, men are treated the same .. no difference

Dermie only a few years ago put up his best “fat blokes” side .. imagine if someone did that for AFLW

Relton Roberts got a gig from memory

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1489 on: August 16, 2024, 08:13:16 PM »

Dermie only a few years ago put up his best “fat blokes” side .. imagine if someone did that for AFLW

I wasn't talking about the media

I was talking about social media. As i said i haven't seen anyone mention on social media the current condition of the the Freo bloke or the Melb one.

Seriously Damo, would love to know you take on those 2 men players

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1490 on: August 16, 2024, 09:30:44 PM »

I wasn't talking about the media

I was talking about social media. As i said i haven't seen anyone mention on social media the current condition of the the Freo bloke or the Melb one.

Seriously Damo, would love to know you take on those 2 men players

You’re either fat or your aren’t
I’m fat and need to lose weight .. for my health more than anything .. but I’m not a professional footballer

I’ve called out MRJ for being unfit and overweight .. and don’t feel bad doing so .. so I’d have no trouble pointing out players at other clubs .. they are choosing to be professional footballers

Fitness is an important part of AFL footballer .. same with AFLW .. one AFLW player is in bad condition for an AFLW player .. your comment was , well she’s one of the best players in the league

My comment on that would be - imagine how good she’d be if she was fit

Online Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1491 on: August 16, 2024, 09:35:36 PM »
Anyone know the score?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1492 on: August 16, 2024, 09:39:24 PM »
Lost by 2 points

Bris: 5.7. 37

Rich 5.5. 35

Lost in the last 5 minutes with poor defence

Good to see McKenzie back out there

They are a very good team the reigning premiers Brisbane

Online Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1493 on: August 16, 2024, 09:52:52 PM »
Thanks

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1494 on: August 18, 2024, 05:15:26 AM »
AFLW Tigers match Lions in practice game

By Sarah Black
AFL Media and Richmond Media
17 Aug 2024

BRISBANE       2.2     2.4     3.5    5.7 (37)
RICHMOND     2.0     4.3     4.4     5.5 (35)

Goals: Katie Brennan 3, Ally Dallaway, Emelia Yassir

Major ball-winners: Monique Conti, Eilish Sheerin, Ellie McKenzie, Grace Egan, Tessa Lavey

Injuries: Nil

New faces: Ally Dallaway (trade), Jodie Hicks (trade), Isabel Bacon (draft), Mackenzie Ford (draft)

Notable omissions: Sarah Hosking (hamstring)

-------------------------------------------

Richmond AFLW matched it with reigning premier Brisbane on Friday night at Brighton Homes Arena, going down by just two points in an official practice match.

Tigers' captain Katie Brennan kicked three goals in an arm wrestle up north, as her side showed promising signs ahead of the season's start, the final score reading 5.7 (37) to 5.5 (35).

Richmond was tenacious, only giving up the lead in the final seven minutes, and closing the gap to two points after the Lions had kicked two goals clear.

Libby Graham, Bec Miller and Jodie Hicks were excellent in defence, while Ally Dallaway made a sparky Tigers debut through the middle and up forward.

Monique Conti (23 disposals, three tackles) hasn't missed a beat, and Richmond's full-ground defence was excellent

Ellie McKenzie (21 disposals), returning from a long injury lay-off, showed some nice signs, while Poppy Kelly was strong in the ruck and around the ground.

With the pre-season now wrapped up, the Tigers turn their attention to Round 1 of the AFLW against West Coast at Mineral Resources Park on Friday, August 30 from 9.15pm AEST.

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1629452/aflw-tigers-match-lions-in-practice-game

--------------------------------------------

Speaking to Richmond Media following the clash, senior coach Ryan Ferguson said it was a "perfect hit-out for what (the Tigers) wanted" to prepare them for Round 1.

"We got a really strong contest, greasy conditions... we got to feel what it was like to play against a really high-pressure team, how to deal with the heat, we had ascendency in the game for big periods and had to arm-wrestle it back for periods," Ferguson said.

"The brand of footy that we wanted to play was shining through, and we get brilliant information of what worked, and also what we need to get better to make sure that if that was for four points, we get over the line."

Ferguson said recruits Dallaway and Hicks, alongside draftees Isabel Bacon and Mackenzie Ford, all "made their mark" in their new colours.

"(They) impacted. They have all pre-season, but pre-season is one thing and games is another," Ferguson said.

"So, obviously for them to impact in-game then gives them a little bit more traction, and gets us excited for what they can do for the season.

"They all played the way that they wanted to play, and they'll only get better."

Ferguson's post-match presser: https://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/1629559/great-practice-on-the-things-we-wanted-ferguson

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #1495 on: August 18, 2024, 05:30:31 PM »
Have we finally got rid of Poppy Kelly? It's very difficult to take the club seriously when they play girls that have no skill or footy ability and don't have their own vfl team.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1496 on: August 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM »
Have we finally got rid of Poppy Kelly? It's very difficult to take the club seriously when they play girls that have no skill or footy ability and don't have their own vfl team.

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/1626904/our-connection-is-really-coming-along-kelly?videoId=1626904&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1723424120001

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #1497 on: August 18, 2024, 05:47:19 PM »
 :facepalm :help
The club that keeps giving.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1498 on: August 18, 2024, 06:21:33 PM »

I watched a stream of last week and this week's praccy game. Poppy was good. Clunked a few marks and her kicking has improved

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1499 on: August 19, 2024, 09:49:53 PM »
Brennan signs two-year Richmond extension
Richmond AFLW captain Katie Brennan has re-committed to the Club.

By Richmond Media
6 hrs ago

Richmond is delighted to announce that AFLW captain Katie Brennan has committed to the Club for a further two years.

Brennan, 31, has captained Richmond since the Club’s inception after initially joining as the Tigers’ inaugural AFLW recruit in April 2019.

The fresh contract extension will make Brennan at least a seven-year Tiger. Brennan has booted 50 goals from 39 AFLW games in yellow and black.

The key forward, who is the competition’s longest-serving club captain, having captained the Western Bulldogs for three seasons before holding the role for the past six at Richmond, has twice been named All-Australian.

Brennan, who has won Richmond’s goal-kicking competition on three occasions, is third all-time in goals in the AFLW competition, though her 65 majors from 52 games give her the highest goal-per-match average in the league.

The star centre half forward is blessed with silky skills on both sides of the body and strong hands in a marking contest and has dominated top level football since she relocated to Victoria from Queensland in 2013.

Brennan booted over 150 goals and played in three premierships across her first three seasons with Darebin in the VFLW, as well as winning the VFLW league best and fairest and goalkicking in 2017.

One of the competition’s original 16 marquee signings, Brennan has shown no signs of slowing down in recent seasons, booting 14 goals from 10 matches last year and finishing fourth in Richmond’s best and fairest.

Brennan ranked #1 at Richmond for Marks, Goals and Contested Marks in 2023 and was #2 behind only league best and fairest winner Monique Conti for Inside 50s.

Brennan said her love for the people and the Club made it a ‘no-brainer' to re-sign with Richmond.

“It is an extraordinary place to be,” she added.

“We are one big family, and I just love our people. I love our direction, and I love where we are headed. We are growing so much.

“It is just such a pleasure to be around the Club.”

Richmond Head of Women’s Football Kate Sheahan said it was exciting that Brennan would remain at the Club long term.

“Katie is a Tiger through and through and means so much to our football program and broader Club,” she said.

“For the past five years, she has represented the Club so well on and off the field, and we know that she will continue to do that across the next three seasons and beyond.

“Katie works incredibly hard and physically is in the best condition of her career. It is a credit to her professionalism and combined work with our medical and high-performance team, and it will hold her in excellent stead to continue as one of the competition's elite going forward."

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1628781/brennan-signs-two-year-richmond-extension