Author Topic: Richmond AFLW team [merged]  (Read 191755 times)

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
Re: Richmond to have AFLW team in 2020 [merged]
« Reply #150 on: May 24, 2019, 05:15:09 PM »
She'd be crook on many here writing about her like that!
You just don't get it do you? people like you unhinge all the good work people are trying to achieve.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #151 on: May 24, 2019, 06:03:33 PM »
You just don't get it do you? people like you unhinge all the good work people are trying to achieve.
It's healthy to have a sense of humour.....

And the opposite is true too.......
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #152 on: May 24, 2019, 07:04:00 PM »

Agree wholeheartedly, but small, seemingly innocuous comments made at someone's expense and masquerading as humour do not cut the mustard.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #153 on: May 24, 2019, 08:01:55 PM »

Agree wholeheartedly, but small, seemingly innocuous comments made at someone's expense and masquerading as humour do not cut the mustard.
Strange. I'm sure the girl herself would laugh at these very comments. She seems to have a lot of courage to come back from where she's been....
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #156 on: June 20, 2019, 09:56:32 AM »
New Tigers AFLW coach eyes midfield spot for Brennan

Daniel Cherny
The Age
20 June 2019

Newly-appointed Richmond AFLW coach Tom Hunter is adamant star recruit Katie Brennan will make it as a bona fide midfielder.

Hunter, the former Collingwood rookie who retired in 2011 at just 20 because of a rare spinal condition, has been given the tick of approval by the Tigers board to lead the club in its first AFLW campaign, having been coach of Richmond’s VFLW side since 2017.

The VFLW Tigers have started 2019 with five wins from as many games. However Hunter said getting the AFLW job ahead of the club’s entrance into the national women’s league next year hadn’t been at the forefront of his mind.

“One of the questions I asked, when I first got appointed to the VFLW, was ‘did they see this person transitioning into AFLW?’ They just wanted to see how I’d go,” he said.

“In the club’s mind I think they wanted someone to carry through from VFLW to AFLW. So it has been a little bit of an audition for the past two years. But it hasn’t been my goal to be the AFLW coach, it’s just been to do a pretty good job through the VFL program, and then it’d take care of itself in the end.”

Brennan sent shockwaves through AFLW circles in April when she defected from the Western Bulldogs - where she had been captain - to sign with the Tigers.

Brennan has made her name as a forward but is keen to prove herself as a regular midfielder. Hunter said Brennan was still learning the craft at VFLW level, but was optimistic she’d be able to play in the guts next year.

“We value what she does,” Hunter said.

“She’s clean with ball in hands, she kicks both sides of the body, she can win the ball at ground level, and what we’re finding is now, when she pushes forward, it’s very hard for key defenders to match up on her, but it’s even harder for midfielders to be able to go with her and compete with her in the air. We’ll continue to build her tank.

“She’s got a lot she’s got to learn, like body positioning around the ground, and just her running patterns, but she’s working really hard on it, and I have no doubt she’ll have a big impact as a midfielder at AFLW level.”

Having been forced into his early retirement after suffering a serious neck injury during a pre-season game, Hunter became the Magpies’ runner under Mick Malthouse. Hunter then took up a coaching role at East Keilor, also entering the teaching profession, which he said had helped his coaching.

Hunter suggests that the biggest difference between coaching men and women was terminology, noting that phrases like “fat side and skinny side” were second nature to boys that had grown up playing the game, but not so much to women who had come to football at a later age.

Hunter's contract at Richmond expires after the 2020 season.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/new-tigers-aflw-coach-eyes-midfield-spot-for-brennan-20190619-p51zd1.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #157 on: June 21, 2019, 12:06:48 AM »
Richmond has elevated 189cm VFLW ruck Alice Edmonds to its inaugural AFLW list.

Confirmed Richmond AFLW players for 2020:

Katie Brennan
Phoebe Monahan
Iilish Ross
Maddy Brancatisano
Christina Bernardi
Sabrina Frederick
Monique Conti
Hannah Burchell
Courtney Wakefield
Tayla Stahl
Alice Edmonds

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2019-06-20/edmonds-becomes-11th-aflw-tiger

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #158 on: June 21, 2019, 07:02:21 AM »
Another good signing for our AFLW side. Alice is a terrific tap ruck, extremely agile, good at ground level, exceptional leap and with strong hands.

Our squad is looking very strong.

There's a few more form our VFLW squad I'd be signing while we can or come draft time they will get snapped up by other clubs

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #159 on: June 22, 2019, 04:27:46 AM »
Tigers chief revels in new coaching gig

Glenn McFarlane
21 June 2019

He’s one of the AFL’s most influential figures, but one of the favourite times of Richmond chief executive Brendon Gale’s busy week comes when he ditches the business suit for his yellow and black training gear.

Gale has just been appointed Richmond’s new AFLW ruck coach — and he’s loving it.

Joking he had lobbied Tigers’ AFL coach Damien Hardwick for a similar role for years without success, Gale says he can’t wait for Wednesday nights when he works with Richmond’s VFLW team on their ruck work, body positioning and ground play, ahead of the club’s inaugural AFLW season next year.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/richmond-tigers/richmond-chief-brendon-gale-in-his-element-as-richmonds-aflw-ruck-coach-ng-1b47e48c7ec5a197f109564b8d32cf12

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #160 on: July 23, 2019, 02:45:27 PM »
Richmond is halfway to filling its inaugural AFLW list with a further four players elevated from the Club’s VFLW program this week.

Defensive pair Akec Makur Chuot and Rebecca Miller have been signed to the senior list along with tackling machine Grace Campbell, while utility Gabby Seymour has been added as a rookie.

Richmond inaugural AFLW players for 2020:

Katie Brennan
Phoebe Monahan
Iilish Ross
Maddy Brancatisano
Christina Bernardi
Sabrina Frederick
Monique Conti
Hannah Burchell
Courtney Wakefield
Tayla Stahl
Alice Edmonds
Akec Makur Chuot
Grace Campbell
Rebecca Miller
Gabby Seymour

Read more: https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2019-07-23/-aflw-tigers-make-quartet-of-signings

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #161 on: July 23, 2019, 06:37:51 PM »
Excellent to see Akec getting promoted to our AFLW list

Very good player

Played for Freo

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #162 on: August 10, 2019, 12:37:16 PM »
Watch the moment Gabby Seymour finds out she’s signed as a ‘cross-code rookie’ for Richmond

Geordie Cowan,
Knox Leader
August 10, 2019

Gabby Seymour gathered 18 touches upon her VFLW debut with Richmond. Picture: Mark Dadswell

After responding to a Facebook post nine months ago to now being on an AFLW list, it has been a whirlwind nine months for Gabby Seymour.

The 22-year-old was told she would be given a rookie contract by Richmond as part of its inaugural AFLW season in 2020.

The volleyballer, who represented Australia at junior level and had been competing for Victoria until last year, only started her football journey in October when she saw a Richmond Football Club post on Facebook advertising a trial for people who had competed at high levels of other sports.

Making it through various trials, she was offered a spot with this year’s VFLW team.

She needed some game experience first, but Gabby had no doubts about which local club to be affiliated with.

“My boyfriend (Nick Callanan) has played at The Basin forever,” she said.

“I’d been coming to his games for a couple of years and it looked like a bit of fun.”

She played three games with the Bears in a supportive environment she couldn’t speak more highly of, before being picked for her VFLW debut as the 23rd player.

“My boyfriend and his little brother travelled up to Darwin, they were so excited I had gotten my first game,” Seymour said.

“I had nothing to lose and put it all out on the table.”

Gabby Seymour with other young women footballers at The Basin. Picture: Mark Dadswell

The Eltham woman starred for the Tigers in their 21-point win, named best-on-ground after gathering 18 disposals and 32 hit-outs.

A few weeks later, she was told she would be a part of the team she had grown up supporting in its first AFLW season.

The moment was captured by the club, with Seymour’s startled face conveying her emotions.

“The video says it all — I was just completely shocked,” she said.

“I’d had a meeting with them an hour before for the mid-season review and I’d asked about my chances.

“I was told to ‘Just keep working hard, August 30 is the cut-off date so you’ll know by then’.

“Then Nick came in and there was a 10-second lag before I realised and put the pieces together.

“It took me a good hour to get my head around that I was going to be an AFLW player.”

She will take her chance to pick the football brains of some of her teammates, which include Katie Brennan and Monique Conti.

“They have been fantastic,” she said.

“Katie Brennan in particular is such an awesome role model.

“You see her around the club and she holds herself to such high standards that I say ‘All right, that’s what I want to look like’.”

Seymour said the rookie contract was perfect motivation for her, knowing she has a three-month headstart on those picked in the AFLW draft.

“I’ve got my spot, the next challenge is to actually get a game,” she said.

“I don’t have any expectations about what I’m going to get.”

Watch here: https://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/outer-east/watch-the-moment-gabby-seymour-finds-out-shes-signed-as-a-crosscode-rookie-for-richmond/news-story/1cfa2105d6637a2ad2c9269e01bd5971

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #163 on: August 16, 2019, 05:23:56 PM »
Watch the moment Kodi Jacques is told she will be placed on the AFLW list.

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2019-08-16/aflw-jacques-midtraining-surprise

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #164 on: September 04, 2019, 11:42:11 PM »
The NAB AFLW draft will be held on Tuesday, October 22 at 10.30am at Melbourne Showgrounds. The nomination period opened on Monday and will run until Friday, September 20.

Richmond, along with fellow expansion clubs Gold Coast, St Kilda and West Coast, had until last Friday to sign up to seven open-age players from their Academies or state league sides.

In a recently introduced rule, clubs have the opportunity to bid for additional Academy players before the draft.

Key Dates:

Draft Nominations Open: Monday, September 2 – Friday, September 20

NAB AFLW Draft Combine: Tuesday, October 1 – Thursday, October 4 at the MCG & Margaret Court Arena, Melbourne

NAB AFLW Draft:         Tuesday, October 22

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2019-09-04/hunter-incredibly-proud-of-vflw-tigers