Author Topic: Richmond AFLW team [merged]  (Read 188618 times)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Richmond AFLW team 2020 [merged]
« Reply #270 on: March 31, 2020, 04:43:11 PM »
What they aimed to achieve and what they achieved are two different things. The womens recruiting program has been diabolical. A complete and utter failure. Has sheahan been given the arse yet? She should have been sacked by now or stood down indefinately.

:rollin :lol

So you have no idea abput the program then?

BTW Not to many staff are working at moment

And once things get opened up again

Don't think she is going anywhere .... she has allies far more important than you and me. If Balmey backs her and the program reckon she's safe  ;D

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #271 on: March 31, 2020, 05:07:37 PM »
Then balmey can go into retirement too. The rfc womens program has been run like its a comedy show. Problem is no ones laughing

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #272 on: March 31, 2020, 11:36:00 PM »
Wind ya neck in Ramps.....not losing Balmey over the stupid womyn's comp... :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #273 on: April 01, 2020, 10:57:10 AM »
Honestly they haven't even completed their maiden season.

Bit hard pulling the pin now.

GWS was pounded for years too, let alone their first half season or whatever...

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #274 on: April 01, 2020, 05:16:11 PM »
Best to come from Tigers' AFLW ace Conti

Shayne Hope
Maitland Mercury
April 1, 2020

Monique Conti's dazzling individual displays were undoubtedly the highlight for Richmond in their winless maiden AFLW season.

The cross-code star averaged almost 20 disposals across six games despite having limited preparation for the football season after switching her focus from basketball.

The Tigers are already salivating at the prospect of seeing the 20-year-old in full flight when AFLW returns on the other side of the coronavirus pandemic-enforced end to the season.

"Mon is an unbelievably gifted sportswoman," Richmond head of women's football Kate Sheahan said.

"She didn't really do a pre-season... so we sort of knew the first couple of rounds were going to be an opportunity for Mon to find her feet.

"But holy moly, can that girl play.

"Imagine not having a pre-season, not doing any contested work with your teammates and then stepping in and being someone who can rack up 20 possessions in a losing team every week."

Conti averaged 15.7 disposals in 15 games during two seasons with Western Bulldogs while juggling basketball commitments, and was named best afield in the 2018 AFLW grand final.

Conti claimed the Bulldogs' best-and-fairest award in 2019 and was named in the All-Australian team before joining Dogs teammate Katie Brennan as a high-profile defector to the Tigers, who were one of four expansion teams this year.

Basketball's loss was Richmond's gain in January when Conti opted out of the finals-bound Melbourne Boomers' WNBL campaign to commit to football.

"She's on a two-year deal, so she's a Tiger and we have no intention of losing her any time soon," Sheahan said.

Conti was Richmond's leading possessions winner in half of their matches and finished in the top three in each of the others.

Her most prolific effort featured 28 disposals and five tackles in a high-scoring encounter with Geelong in round four.

She had a game-high 22 possessions when the Tigers were held goalless by St Kilda in round six.

But Sheahan believes Conti's best is yet to come.

"I'm really excited by how the girls are coming together and getting to know each other's games. That's only going to help her going forward," Sheahan said.

"There's not a trick in the book that Mon doesn't have.

"We're pretty excited by what she can bring in the next couple of years."

https://www.maitlandmercury.com.au/story/6707088/best-to-come-from-tigers-aflw-ace-conti/?cs=4783

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #275 on: April 02, 2020, 08:32:25 AM »
Best to come from Tigers' AFLW ace Conti

"Imagine not having a pre-season, not doing any contested work with your teammates ...

https://www.maitlandmercury.com.au/story/6707088/best-to-come-from-tigers-aflw-ace-conti/?cs=4783

It looked like a few followed that routine complete with sitting on the couch eating junk food

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #276 on: April 04, 2020, 04:45:23 AM »
No surprise Conti is the only Tiger to make the AFLW All-Australian squad.

https://thewomensgame.com/news/2020-all-australian-squad-who-made-the-cut-545996

Offline taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
« Reply #277 on: April 04, 2020, 12:21:52 PM »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #278 on: April 17, 2020, 01:22:24 PM »
Season review: Richmond

Sarah Black
womens.afl
17 April 2020

RICHMOND brought in several big-name recruits for its first AFLW season but finished as the only side to fail to record a win.

It was a top-heavy approach which backfired badly, culminating in a horror final match against fellow expansion side St Kilda, where the Tigers failed to kick a goal and lost by 39 points.

Coach: Tom Hunter

Leadership group:
Katie Brennan (captain), Christina Bernardi (vice-captain), Phoebe Monahan, Lauren Tesoriero

2020 finishing position: Seventh (last) in Conference A, zero wins, six losses, 35.7 per cent.

Best performance:
Richmond 7.3 (45) lost to Geelong 10.7 (67), round four
Unfortunately for the Tigers, a "best win" category isn't possible, but this 22-point loss to the Cats was their best performance. Down by 41 points at the start of the third, Richmond responded with some of the best footy we saw from the expansion side, recording its highest score.

Best individual performance: Monique Conti came off a very limited pre-season, juggling basketball commitments, but by round four had well and truly hit her straps. The classy midfielder finished with 28 disposals, five tackles and four clearances against Geelong.

Club best and fairest candidates: Monique Conti, Phoebe Monahan, Grace Campbell

NAB AFLW Rising Star nominations: Nil

Debutants: Maddy Brancatisano, Nekaela Butler, Grace Campbell, Kate Dempsey, Alice Edmonds, Ciara Fitzgerald, Kodi Jacques, Laura McClelland, Rebecca Miller, Sophie Molan, Sarah Sansonetti, Gabby Seymour, Tayla Stahl, Courtney Wakefield, Ella Wood, Alana Woodward

Retirees:
Laura Bailey, Lauren Tesoriero

Star recruit (existing AFLW player): Monique Conti should win the club's first best and fairest award, but for pure value for money, Phoebe Monahan delivered in spades. The tough defender returned home after two years with GWS, and was very strong under unrelenting pressure among inexperienced teammates.

Star recruit (open-age or draftee): Grace Campbell missed round one with a hip injury, but the contested midfielder was her side's best in her debut the following week. Campbell's attack on the footy was second to none, and she slotted in well in her first season at the top level.

Unsung hero: Another who looked at home playing AFLW for the first time was Courtney Wakefield. The full-forward was an integral part of the line-up and played well despite very limited opportunities.

What worked:

- The midfield group of Conti (20), Campbell (24) and Kodi Jacques (19) looks to be a handy trio for the future. While they definitely need more support, especially with outside run, Sophie Molan will be better next year and Kate Dempsey missed most of the season through injury.

What needs improvement:

- The key defensive posts are an area which needs some help. While the regularity with which the ball was entering would have tested the likes of Melbourne's stingy backline, defenders were easily out-played and out-positioned by their opponents way too often.

- While the longer the group plays together, the more cohesion will naturally develop, but Richmond seriously struggled to get disposal chains with any real momentum. The Tigers were often stagnant both ahead and behind the ball and were rarely able to move the ball with fluidity. They ranked last in disposals, kicks, contested possessions and clearances, and second-last in marks, inside-50s and goals.

Season in a song: Under Pressure (David Bowie & Queen).
It's safe to say a winless season, losses against fellow expansion sides Gold Coast and St Kilda (a comprehensive flogging) and recording the lowest-ever AFLW score was not the way Richmond wanted to start its AFLW campaign.

Early call for 2021: Improvement absolutely has to be made, but two wins in 2021 would be a solid step up for the Tigers.

Season rating: 2/10

https://womens.afl/news/50097/season-review-richmond

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #280 on: April 28, 2020, 05:35:31 PM »
Stiff!!! She slayed it in the midfield!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #281 on: May 10, 2020, 02:27:39 PM »
Conti says her move to leave the Western Bulldogs, where she’d won a premiership in a best-on ground Grand Final performance in 2018, was equally gut-wrenching. AFLW debutants in 2020, Richmond won her signature because Conti felt the Tigers were more committed to cultivating “the best athlete I could be instead of just the best footballer I could be.”

“I loved my time at the Bulldogs but I could see myself developing further, and I was just thinking long-term at Richmond,” she says in The Originals.

Conti has zero regrets about leaving the Dogs - “Richmond just takes really good care of the athlete … I’ve never been part of something like that”. But on standing aside from the Boomers’ basketball program, Conti says: “I wanted to do both but they weren’t allowing me to.

“I still see myself as a dual athlete ... I still want to represent my country one day at the Olympics and the world championships.

“I’ve got to play some big WNBL minutes …it could be the next Olympics, it could be the Olympics after.”

Driven by defying convention, Conti describes how she wants to be living proof that balancing an elite basketball and Australian rules football career is possible. Conti nominates Basketball Australia hall of famer and three-time Olympian Ray Tomlinson as the best coach she has ever had, in any sport, at any level.

Full article: https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/689842/monique-conti-dual-dreams

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Mon Conti Wins AFLW Best & Fairest
« Reply #282 on: May 28, 2020, 08:45:08 PM »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #283 on: May 28, 2020, 11:57:34 PM »
I see the youngster Campbell got equal 4th.

I liked her endevour and grit when I watched the games.

It’s a pity that some people couldn't see it.  :shh :rollin
The club that keeps giving.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #284 on: June 06, 2020, 09:15:58 PM »
AFLW statement: List management update

The AFL today wrote to all clubs to advise the AFL Women’s Sign and Trade Period is scheduled to commence on Monday August 3, 2020.

During this period, Clubs will be permitted to sign up to 27 players, including rookie players. Rookie players in the AFL Women’s Competition are those that have not been listed with any Australian football team for the past three years.

Clubs have been informed they are not permitted to enter into any contracts or make any commitments to players until the commencement of the Sign and Trade Period.

The AFL continues to work on a range of matters relating to the off-season and preparation for the 2021 NAB AFL Women’s Competition that will involve all 14 AFLW teams.

Key dates for the 2020 AFLW Sign and Trade Period:

Monday August 3

AFLW Sign & Trade Period commences (12pm)

Wednesday August 12

Trade period closes (2pm)
AFLW List Lodgement # 1 (4pm)   

Monday August 17

Re-signing and Restricted Free Agent period closes (2pm)
AFLW List Lodgement # 2 (4pm)

Friday August 21

Delisted Free Agent period closes (2pm)
AFLW List Lodgement # 3 (4pm)
AFLW Draft order confirmed

Please note, the order for the NAB AFL Women’s Draft will be confirmed prior to the commencement of this period.

https://womens.afl/news/51657/aflw-statement-list-management-update