Author Topic: Is Alex Rance the best full-back of all-time? ... (Herald-Sun)  (Read 5691 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Is Alex Rance the best full-back of all-time? ... (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2017, 03:04:20 PM »
Rance is No.1 for spoils, 3rd best for intercept marks and has played the 3rd most minutes in the AFL this season so far.

Spoils

115: Alex Rance (Rich)
102: Daniel Talia (Adel)
92: Tom Jonas (PA)

Intercept marks

44: Jeremy Howe (Coll)
40: Jeremy McGovern (WC)
38: Alex Rance (Rich)

Minutes Played

1418: Adam Tomlinson (GWS)
1417: Tom Lynch (GC)
1416: Alex Rance (Rich)

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-06-20/the-stats-files-fireworks-season-delivers-again

dwaino

« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2017, 10:26:49 AM »
When was the last time an entire forward line went to so much effort to stop one key defender, including a hard tag? Astbury and Grimes were great to step up in the first half but the way Rance fought through it in the second was pretty remarkable.

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #62 on: July 02, 2017, 11:16:38 AM »
I have never heard of a key defender being tagged. It's probably happened but can anyone remember it before?

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #63 on: July 03, 2017, 03:03:20 AM »
6. Alex Rance can do anything, including beating a tag

Not so long ago, tagging was a dying art. But in 2017, the reincarnation of the lost skill has extended to giving forwards shut-down roles on key defenders. Yes, a full-back getting tagged. Ridiculous, I know, but such is the influence of Richmond's All Australian defender Alex Rance that Jackson Trengove was instructed to harass him at every opportunity. The pair engaged in a fiery battle at the Adelaide Oval on Saturday night. The tactic worked a treat during the first half as Rance struggled to get involved, but the wheel turned after the break. Rance was brilliant in the last quarter as the Tigers stormed home for a 13-point victory. Opposition teams will continue to try different things to keep Rance locked on his direct opponent, and prevent him from sagging off and taking intercept marks. - Lee Gaskin

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-07-02/nine-things-we-learned-from-round-15

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #64 on: July 03, 2017, 06:18:30 AM »
Rance's effort was incredible. The sledging and treatment he got in the first half was unbelievable. To rise above it shows what a true champion he is.

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #65 on: July 03, 2017, 10:30:16 AM »
Couldn't believe the Port guys verballing Rance. One thing I have learnt the hard way is not to denigrate a champion as they will make you look silly.

Rance did make them look second rate in the last half.

Has to be the best backman I have seen and I am a huge Jimmy Jess fan.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #66 on: July 03, 2017, 12:28:14 PM »
He's better than Jess, although big Jim was hampered by injuries later in his career. The only Key Defender I can think is comparable over 50 years was St Francis
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #67 on: July 03, 2017, 03:47:23 PM »
Who cares. He's very good.
Caracella and Balmey.