Author Topic: NAB Cup 24 vs Hawthorn?  (Read 5509 times)

Sumatran TIger

Re: NAB Cup 24 vs Hawthorn?
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2006, 06:52:05 PM »
Thank you boys - now how long are you out with a broken finger?
Would Jack Dyer have played lol

Captain Blood would have played in a real game but not a pre-season one.

Petts is out for two to three weeks so he should be right for the start of the real season.

Jackstar

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2006, 07:17:10 PM »
Anyone know if Petts is injured as reported on Y&B

As it's been made public already, yep he has a broken finger. That's why I left him out of my 24 :(.

Too clever MT, OER first with all the news

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2006, 07:49:18 PM »
Here's who I think may run out on Saturday night. They said Cogs will play but I have my doubts. I'd rather rest him.

B.   Raines       Gaspar       Schulz
HB. Hartigan    J.Bowden   Johnson
C.   P.Bowden   Tuck         Rodan
HF. Deledio       Richo       Krakouer
F.   Tambling   Simmonds  Limbach  
R.   Pattison      Hyde       Newman

Int.  Stafford, Hall, Humm, Foley, Polo, Kellaway
May as well find out early if he will humm or not!! :)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
NAB Cup match preview: Hawthorn v Richmond (AFL site)
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2006, 08:37:57 PM »
NAB Cup match preview: Hawthorn v Richmond
5:23:24 PM Tue 21 February, 2006
Jason Phelan
Sportal for afl.com.au

HAWTHORN v RICHMOND: Saturday 25 Feb, Telstra Dome, 4.10pm

TV/RADIO/INTERNET: Ch 10 (live), 3AW, afl.com.au

PRESEASON/NIGHT PREMIERSHIPS WON: Hawthorn - 9 (1968, 1969, 1977, 1985, 1986, 1988, 1991, 1992, 1999), Richmond - 1 (1962)

LAST YEAR'S NAB CUP: Hawthorn pushed St Kilda hard in the opening round before losing to the Saints by nine points. The Tigers blew a handy lead to the fast-finishing Collingwood in the opening match and went down by seven points. But they still talk about Richard Tambling's blistering goal on the run.

WHO'S IN/WHO'S NOT: Coach Alastair Clarkson has suggested that the club's second-year players will be favoured for NAB Cup selection ahead of the Hawks' first year recruits. At the other end of the scale veteran forward Jon Barker is a chance to line-up for the Hawks. Still on a modified program after his broken leg, Nathan Brown is being saved for the NAB Cup final if the Tigers progress that far. Jarrad Oakley Nicholls (groin), Mark Coughlan (hamstring) and veteran defender Mark Chaffey (groin) are unlikely starters.

WHILE YOU WERE WATCHING THE CRICKET AND THE TENNIS: Hawthorn had a huge off-season on several fronts. Former Victorian Premier Jeff Kennett took over the club presidency from Ian Dicker, the Hawks began the move to their new base of operations at Waverley Park, 'Spida' Everitt flirted with a move to Sydney and the club had an unprecedented five first-round draft picks in the NAB AFL National Draft. At Punt Road, Nathan Brown continued his slow recovery from the broken leg that ended his season, while Clinton Casey relinquished the club presidency due to increased business commitments and was replaced by vice-president Gary March. The Tigers went back into the classroom in an effort sharpen their football knowledge. The T@FE - Tigers at Football Education - program is the brainchild of Terry Wallace and aims to give the players the best possible preparation for the coming season.

WHY TO WATCH: Both clubs have been active near the top of the NAB AFL Draft lately and there will be great interest from supporters keen to be shown something by the youngsters they hope will form the backbone of their club for years to come. Sixteen players made their AFL debuts for the two clubs last season and this year they are joined by a further 15 new draftees, rookie elevations or traded players and that amount of new faces is sure to breed some curiosity - and optimism - amongst fans.

THE VERDICT: This should be an intriguing match-up between sides that have fallen on hard times recently, but which showed promising signs under new coaches last year. This one could really go either way, but the Tigers have the edge in experience and for this reason only will be favoured to come away with the win. Richmond by 6 points.

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=246836

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2006, 08:53:55 PM »
Anyone know if Petts is injured as reported on Y&B

As it's been made public already, yep he has a broken finger. That's why I left him out of my 24 :(.

Too clever MT, OER first with all the news

:thumbsup
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: NAB Cup match preview: Hawthorn v Richmond (AFL site)
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2006, 09:11:40 PM »
Mark Coughlan (hamstring)

Thought Cogs had a minor thigh strain  ???. Anyway I heard nine will miss. Don't know who the nine are exactly but I'm guessing they are Chaffey, Browny, Knobel, Pettifer, Cogs, Oakley-Nicholls, Tivs, Thursfield and Casserly. They've been the ones who have either missed training or have been in the recovery group in recent weeks. Pettifer the latest with a broken finger.

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2006, 09:13:08 PM »
are y ou guys getting really excited for the first game...coz i gotta admit for the first time ever,im not getting excited by the start of the new season...who knows maybe when matchtime comes Ill feel like footy season is back.

Moi

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2006, 09:17:47 PM »
Well i wasn't excited a month ago, but getting kind of excited.  Wanna see the new kids and some of the ones that have been there for a few years get a run.  Couldn't care less if we win or lose IF we play the kids.  Really interested in seeing Tambo take everyone on this year and Lids to get better and better.  And, of course, Rainsey to get a regular senior spot  :thumbsup

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2006, 07:59:08 AM »
Here's who I think may run out on Saturday night. They said Cogs will play but I have my doubts. I'd rather rest him.

B.   Raines       Gaspar       Schulz
HB. Hartigan    J.Bowden   Johnson
C.   P.Bowden   Tuck         Rodan
HF. Deledio       Richo       Krakouer
F.   Tambling   Simmonds  Limbach  
R.   Pattison      Hyde       Newman

Int.  Stafford, Hall, Humm, Foley, Polo, Kellaway

Humm will play (that's what they said last night at Club80) along with 3 other newbies - P Bowden, Cam Howat and Matt White - don't know the rest of the team
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

letsgetiton!

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2006, 08:04:56 AM »
are y ou guys getting really excited for the first game...coz i gotta admit for the first time ever,im not getting excited by the start of the new season...who knows maybe when matchtime comes Ill feel like footy season is back.
i'm EXCITED! :woohoo

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2006, 12:01:40 PM »
LOL X.

Humm will play (that's what they said last night at Club80) along with 3 other newbies - P Bowden, Cam Howat and Matt White - don't know the rest of the team

Thanks for that WP :). Good to hear Howat and White will be playing. Both had reasonable games for the Possibles so Wallace has stuck to his word in selecting the team. White has also been good in some of the scratch matches so might turn out to be a smart choice from the PSD.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2006, 12:06:29 PM »
are y ou guys getting really excited for the first game...

Like Moi keen to see how our kids and 3rd/4th year guys go in a real game with another preseason under their belts. Also hoping we knock off the Hawks  :thumbsup.

blx

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2006, 05:30:50 PM »
Ok I gather theres no latest news on Coughlan and Petts at this point so im guessing my team based on the fact that they are not availiable and Terry’s “no risk” selection criteria is in place. Here goes…

BACKPOCKET – A Kellaway
Firstly let me start by saying that if Thursty was availiable or to a way lesser extent, Moore was to show something, Kellers well … im sorry. Its a hard one I know cause he’s Mr Reliable and I love him but at some point over the next year or two hard decisions are going to have to be made in order for the next generation to come on. This is something Terry has stringently said that his young team has to be fast tracked at some point to make up for the age gap that’s present in our squad or something along those lines.

Anyway, Kella’s will easily take the second or third tall. Maybe Boyle.

FULLBACK – Gas
There’s no-one else – at the moment anywayz. He’ll get first tall as always although I think he’d be wasted if put onto Buddy first up. Maybe Barks if he’s named although Barks has had time off so that will hinder his chances. If Bud starts well then put Gas onto him but for what its worth, I think Buddy is a burst player so I wouldn’t waste our best resources on someone who might or might not be on fire, if you know what I mean. Bud doesn’t even have a right foot!

BACKPOCKET – Bowdo
Smart and experienced, might get Franklin if Gas doesn’t.

HALFBACK FLANK – Harts
In form and starting to hit his straps. Bulked up good too (looks like the hulks mini-me). In Harts we have a nippy strong speedster who could mind a Miller or a Williams but I’d save Williams for Newmo. Harts looks to have improved his delivery too.

CHB – Schulz
Position Availiable : is Schulz the one for the job? A question which has still, no answer. Seems to have everything but drive (pun intended) in him. He’d feel senior straight away if he was to get one of their freshman first up like Mitchell Clarke. There you go, drive him!

HALFBACK FLANK – Newmo
Don’t’ be surprised to see Williams play more upfield this year in a bid to improve the Hawkers midfield leg speed. This plays right into our hands if we play Newmo on him as Newmo will get more time through the middle too.

With Newmo and Harts we have a good running rebound combination. These days quick turnovers make fast and effective rebounding an imperative pre-requisite. Bang, bang, bang and the ball should be in our forward 50. Can’t wait ;)

WING – Hydey
Hopefully he can show the form of this time last year when he was an immediate in and not a tentative, like he is now. Will run all day and can find his own pill. Can be an effective linkman and should be given a good run, if only to leave no doubt of his place in the team. Ole “run round in circles”  Vandenburg for me.

CENTRE – Tucky
Hope he lines up on young Lewis. Jordan’s tough too but he’s no Tucky hehe.

WING – Lids
Use him as an outside mid utilizing his endless array of talents. There’s a good chance (wait for it), Bateman (hehe) will play wide maybe even Brennan. Young Rick Ladson is another who might get the job too, who knows Lids might even get a tagger if he fires up.

HALF FORWARD FLANK - Tambo
I prefer him up the ground abit more rather than around the goal square, that’s more kraks and rodans forward zone. His open ground speed is nullified too close to goal plus he’s of more value to the team up the ground. Has an exceptionally reactive footy brain together with his delivery nous it would help set up more palatable inside 50’s.

PLUS we’ll have more of a chance to see what we all want to see … Tambo burning up Telstra Dome wing turf ;) might get Smith for starters. HAHAHA!

CHF – Pattison
Don’t know why but I just know he’s gonna be in the team somewhere. Will draw a tall defender which will help our tallish forward line set-up. The thing with Pattison is that he has a great motor and will tire most other tall defenders so with that in mind you’d like to have him pushing up and back constantly but more leading from the true CHF position into the midfield or thereabouts so as to not clog up richo’s space inside 50. Might get Roughead or Croad whichever one isn’t marking Richo. Young Zac Dawson could be another too.

HALF FORWARD FLANK – Richo
-

FORWARD POCKET – Paddy
With a license to run upfield. So far he’s been a great addition to the squad, lets hope he carries his form into games. Will draw the third defender easy but with Pattison, Richo and Staff in the forward line it makes Paddy an odd one to match up on for opposition teams cause it makes him the 4th tall to try and find a match for. Well sort of tall ;)

FF – Staff
Is fit and ready to go which is an oddity to be made advantage of. Most probably get second defender after Richo.

FORWARD POCKET – Kraks
Seems to be fitter, which is what we’ve all wanted to see. Apparently he will be rotated through the midfield a lot more too. Maybe get Jacobs or Kane maybe even Brown if he’s that far back down the ground.

RUCK – Simmo
Primed for the role and ready to rumble. Couldn’t ask for a better first up hit out with one of the best in Moham Everitt. Bailey will most likely get a run too as he has impressed during the pre-season.

RUCK ROVER – Axel
Tthere is a surprise element with Foley cause no-one actually knows how good he really is at this point (including us sometimes) but what it does is that it creates a match up dilemma for the opposition in that they’d want to put someone very good on him cause if they don’t he WILL get first hands and he WILL deliver the ball cleanly. It’s a gamble but I think it’s a worthwhile punt.

He may not be the quickest by leg speed but by gee, he’s not too far off being the quickest hand to eye. Super fast reflexes and a clever brain to match. Will probably get Bateman or Hodge.

Rover – Jono
Walk-up start. Will most likely get Mitchell or Brown depends on who’s in for them. Mitchell would come in underdone though as I think he’s been out with a shoulder injury, could be just a smokescreen though.

INTERCHANGE

White – has to get a run after a super impressive first pre-season. Can cover a lot of ground and hates a contest (sarc). Still young but on form must be rewarded.

Raines – showed a lot of improvement in vital areas of his game. Deserves a spot on the pine.

Rodan – What a great asset he will be to our midfield and forward line set-up this year. Gives terry so many options in the midfield if guys like Rodan and co can stay fit. A firing midfield through effective rotation is what we all want and with so many options drooling to get in there and have a crack it might end up a party ;)

Hall – May get a forward line spot but if not on the pine for first up tall relief.

Humm – Tez will want to see how all the rookies go before the real season starts. Humm this week maybe Howat next, then Angus.

Howat – Reward for an excellent pre season.

Notable Absentees :
Brown, Petts, Coughlan, Chaffey, JON, Thursty and Casserly : Injured

Knobel : Injured???

Moore : hasn’t really produced except that he’s come on in size, still….

McGuane, Limbach, Howat, Hughes, Graham : may get a run at some point.

Roach : After a positive pre season write up he’s fallen away and doesn’t seem to be on the radar.

Jackson : really needs to take his game up a gear or 5.

Meyer : Just misses the cut with Tivvers although Tivvers might get a run cause we look quite small on the bench. Meyer could one day overtake all our draftees from last year and be the icing on the cake in future, he’s just so classy. Oh and did I mention how classy he is ;)

On another note, after perusing Hawthorns probables side it becomes evident that they lack one ingredient that we have oodles of, Speed.

They also seem to be in experimental mode with Roughead. They played him mostly at FF last week?

Young Rick Ladson is on fire as an outside receiver type and could be someone to keep a close eye on if he gets a call up.

Hodge is travelling fine as is Bateman. So threes a chance …….. no no don’t go there again ;)

Ball can be dangerous but seems to fade after his initial breathing fire exercises.

Guerra, ditto.

Kane and Gillham should be rewarded too for their good pre-seasons.

Barkers been out awhile but I think he is availiable although I can’t see them playing him unless they’re in DYER need of another tall.

Other than that, very peeved Petts isn’t playing as he too was on fire last Friday. Oh well … bring it awn …

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2006, 06:57:39 PM »
Nice summary  blx :clapping and I would be happy if that was roughly the 24. The only positional changes I would have from that would be both Bowdens. Paddy played FP at the doggies but he's played mostly b/w HBF and HFF over the preseason. He'll be more valuable to us playing most of the time away from the goals. As for Joel IMO we would lose his rebounding abilities if he played deep in a pocket as he would have to play tight on his man.

The Hawks are in a bit of a bind with their bookends as most of their talls are very young. They need a big forward to take the reliance off Williams kicking their goals so that's probably why they've been playing Roughead at FF yet with Hay gone they need to find a permanent replacement FB immediately which again is Roughead.

letsgetiton!

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2006, 07:24:02 PM »
Nice summary  blx :clapping and I would be happy if that was roughly the 24. The only positional changes I would have from that would be both Bowdens. Paddy played FP at the doggies but he's played mostly b/w HBF and HFF over the preseason. He'll be more valuable to us playing most of the time away from the goals. As for Joel IMO we would lose his rebounding abilities if he played deep in a pocket as he would have to play tight on his man.

wallace said today that paddy will definately play and most likely wing or hff. he hinted the wing is teh go in an embly  mould. said he like the idea of a tall, agile good marking running player who can kick goals! thats paddy