Author Topic: Tigers confident Griffiths can return despite concussion concerns (afl site)  (Read 2833 times)

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
If a concussion has sidelined you for three months and still counting, I'd say it's time to seriously reconsider your future....
True if he's been concussed for 3 months but he hasn't.....

I think he wanted a good break and wants one more roll of the dice. IMHO he gets that and if he gets another concussion, then he calls it quits. He is entitled to get that if he truly wants another shot.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline potsclub

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
I suggest everyone who doesn't know about concussion and better yet wants to have a crack at this bloke or any others with concussion listen to SEN podcast for the 27/6/17. Not sure how far in the interview was, but a concussion doctor was on and was very informative to say the least.
Benny I think is best to hang the boots up!

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
I suggest everyone who doesn't know about concussion and better yet wants to have a crack at this bloke or any others with concussion listen to SEN podcast for the 27/6/17. Not sure how far in the interview was, but a concussion doctor was on and was very informative to say the least.
I personally know the AFL concussion neurosurgeon. If you go by strictly what he says, half the league should retire immediately.
It will be up to Ben and proper informed consent to make the decision, not OER posters.

Offline potsclub

• Premiership Captain
I personally know the AFL concussion neurosurgeon. If you go by strictly what he says, half the league should retire immediately.
It will be up to Ben and proper informed consent to make the decision, not OER posters.
Sorry mate my opinion, not telling him too hang them up!!

Online Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
If a concussion has sidelined you for three months and still counting, I'd say it's time to seriously reconsider your future....
True if he's been concussed for 3 months but he hasn't.....

I think he wanted a good break and wants one more roll of the dice. IMHO he gets that and if he gets another concussion, then he calls it quits. He is entitled to get that if he truly wants another shot.

No-one said he was still concussed but again, if he feels he needs this long "just to be sure" or if it's taking this long to decide he probably should pack it in.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
Question for the Doc- if a player that has has multiple concussions, has time away like Griff has, does it help to not get concussion again as easily.
Does the time away build up more resilience if you like?

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
good question bt. I was thinking the same thing.

Have no idea what time away would help someone who has had as many hits as him.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Question for the Doc- if a player that has has multiple concussions, has time away like Griff has, does it help to not get concussion again as easily.
Does the time away build up more resilience if you like?
Excellent question bt. The answer is not known with any certainty at this stage. Most evidence seems to suggest that "resting the brain" helps it recover faster from concussion. The closer to full recovery you can get then the more likely it is that you will not be concussed as easily as previously. With advent of more powerful and specific MRI machines we will be able to detect subtle brain injury more accurately and thus be able to see "recovery" or lack there of in better ways.

So in short, a break like Griff has had is probably the best way of giving himself a chance to be more resilient against minor head knocks but we don't know definitively if that's the case.

tony_montana

Balmey reckons he's only a few weeks away. Says he has one more big test to get through before getting the all clear, at which stage he'll start full contact work again. Has been training for a while now but doing no contact stuff.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/07/07/tall-tiger-only-a-few-weeks-away-says-balme/

Online Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Yes! Another gun who'll be back just in time for the EF.....in for Lennon.... :clapping :gotigers :clapping
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 08:59:19 PM by Diocletian »
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
Yes! Another gun who'll be back just in time for the EF.....in for Lennon.... :clapping :gotigers :clapping
Cant wait for his usual contribution of a handful of possesions, 3 marks all outside 50,  handful of hit outs and 0 goals yep we sure miss this gun.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
At least it will give Nankervis a chance to play another role.  :gotigers
Caracella and Balmey.