Author Topic: Official round 20 team vs Hawks - Prestia, Lennon, Graham in squad; no Jack.  (Read 6225 times)

tony_montana

The only time Lennon showed 'something' was that stretch of 7-8 games before he was infamously dropped for the nort elim final. But even then it wasnt much, it was a couple of games where he had 15 touches and clunked 3 or 4 good marks.

tbh Ive always felt his lack of pace and work rate would make it an uphill battle for him to be a regular afl player. Yes he has a good peg but thats about it and dont have an issue with him being delisted at seasons end.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
The only time Lennon showed 'something' was that stretch of 7-8 games before he was infamously dropped for the nort elim final. But even then it wasnt much, it was a couple of games where he had 15 touches and clunked 3 or 4 good marks.

tbh Ive always felt his lack of pace and work rate would make it an uphill battle for him to be a regular afl player. Yes he has a good peg but thats about it and dont have an issue with him being delisted at seasons end.
I think the whole "work rate" thing has been done to death but the facts are none of us really know what it is like now. I would even say that the word about him now is he is a hard worker.
Both previous preseasons he has gone out and employed people to improve his game off his own bat (sprint coach and boxing coach) does that sound like someone who doesn't want to work hard to try and get the best out of himself??
At the very least as an early draft pick he deserves his chances and going off his VFL form he has earned it.
Take a look at BEllis last year, his form was below VFL level in most games but as one of Dimma's pets, he played almost every game regardless.
I know for a fact Dimma isn't a fan and it's obviously a personal thing which I guess happens but why even have him on our list if that's the case. We could have got a trade for him but we decided to keep him. Either way pick 12 from 2013 is a complete bust!!

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
Lennon should have been given a game. Form in VFL merits selection.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
its one of the reason why so many dislike hardwick as a coach.

fancy giving game time to lloyd, houli, grigg and hampson types yet donuts to lennon.

i dont thnink anyone would argue if lennon had played 50-80 games, shown nothing on a consistent basis and was treated like this.

its only in 2015 where he was given a descent crack at it, with half a dozen games in a row.

He probably is a bust but find out for certain i.e griffiths, vickery before throwing the baby out.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

tony_montana

I think the whole "work rate" thing has been done to death but the facts are none of us really know what it is like now. I would even say that the word about him now is he is a hard worker.
Both previous preseasons he has gone out and employed people to improve his game off his own bat (sprint coach and boxing coach) does that sound like someone who doesn't want to work hard to try and get the best out of himself??
At the very least as an early draft pick he deserves his chances and going off his VFL form he has earned it.
Take a look at BEllis last year, his form was below VFL level in most games but as one of Dimma's pets, he played almost every game regardless.
I know for a fact Dimma isn't a fan and it's obviously a personal thing which I guess happens but why even have him on our list if that's the case. We could have got a trade for him but we decided to keep him. Either way pick 12 from 2013 is a complete bust!!

You can only go by what you see and at afl level he seems to lag and is often where the ball aint. He's kicked some goals at vfl level but he's only been in our bests 3 times this year? (happy to be corrected if im wrong on that one). If he has in fact gone out and employed people to improve his game then thats great but the question needs to be asked, how far back is he coming from??? bc he still looks a fair way off the pace at afl level.

The question also has to be asked, with the whole new coaching panel we have at our club, he is still languishing in the reserves when we have a great need for a marking option. As much as we all have grave reservations about dimmas judgement, the fact that caracella, Leppa etc are all not pushing for his inclusion speaks volumes.

Unfortunately I agree pick 12 from 2013 is a complete bust -and theres a few more of our 1st rounders that will be too

Online Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020

Sounds like you know the lennon family BT.

Lennon has shown nothing in any game he's played that would suggest he's got what it takes as an afl player. Nothing we have seen in any level from him shouts toughness or a willingness for uncompromising commitment to the contest. All we have seen so far is good skills and a lazy footy player that doesn't work nearly as hard as he should.
I agree with your summation of the squibs and Grigg types but your unending support of Lennon when everything about him screams laziness. I understand he hasn't have been given nearly even a quarter of the grace that other players have been given but that certainly says more about him too considering how easy it's been to get games as long as you do what Dumma wants.
Hes had the opportunity to demand a spot but he missed the bus. Now we have a different game style and speedsters in the forward fifty that are committed to working their arses off to keep the ball in forward 50. Lennon has missed the boat plain and simple and it's probably one of the only decisions the coach has made that I have agreed with.
He should've cemented his spot 2 seasons ago but he didn't. And he's an idiot for whatever reason.
We needed him to step up and take his place but he didn't. He failed and for that reason too bad too sad. We should've traded him when we had the chance. He's a waste of a pick.
The club that keeps giving.

Online Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
Another thing. If you can't win a place in the team in front of lloyd or Elton that says more about you than anything.
I've only seen a handful of vfl games this year and IMO Lennon was poor in all those games.

How many times has the vfl coaches report stated "Lennon is playing above the level and demanding a spot in the senior team"?

I don't remember reading this.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
Yes we should all take the club's VFL match reports as gospel....
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
if the vfl coach states that he's playing above the level then normally you'd think that he's saying exactly what he means.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
if the vfl coach states that he's playing above the level then normally you'd think that he's saying exactly what he means.

Not really. Those match reports are very careful in their praise. They will only state a player is pushing for selection if Dimma likes them
Case in point Miles who played awesome for months but the match reports read like he was just a solid contributor.

Then they praise the heck out of Morris and Hunt and they play solid games but nothing special.

Its a real worry.

"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

tony_montana

Not really. Those match reports are very careful in their praise. They will only state a player is pushing for selection if Dimma likes them
Case in point Miles who played awesome for months but the match reports read like he was just a solid contributor.

Then they praise the heck out of Morris and Hunt and they play solid games but nothing special.

Its a real worry.

disagree, have always praised Miles and said he is playing above the level

dwaino

I always read those reports like how a teacher writes encouraging things on their student's report cards.

Online Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame

Its a real worry.

disagree, have always praised Miles and said he is playing above the level
That's what I read. This year anyway.