Author Topic: Blue skies ahead for Raines (RFC site)  (Read 826 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Blue skies ahead for Raines (RFC site)
« on: February 22, 2006, 06:41:25 PM »
Blue skies ahead for Raines
3:30:05 PM Wed 22 February, 2006
Scott Spits
Exclusive to richmondfc.com.au

Andrew Raines played six matches for Richmond in 2005, but the 19-year-old was an emergency for 11 other games, illustrating that he was regularly on the cusp of selection.

Naturally, the son of 1980 premiership winning centreman Geoff is aiming to cement a permanent position in the senior team in 2006 after a promising season last year.

"It was a step in the right direction with my development. This year I'm looking forward to consolidating a full-time spot," Raines told afl.com.au.

Drafted with the No.76 selection in the 2003 NAB AFL Draft, Raines played only one match in his first season, but has now been earmarked as a small defender in 2006.

"They're trying me down in the backline, running through half-back, which I'm enjoying at the moment," said Raines, who was picked up from Southport on the Gold Coast.

"Half-back is sort of my new spot and hopefully, if I can step from there in the next few years, I'll hopefully push into the midfield."

Little was expected of Raines in 2004 as he had just turned 18 and had been secured with a late pick in the draft.

Richmond had used its third-round father-son selection on Thomas Roach - the son of star full-forward Michael Roach - but the Tigers were still delighted to pick up another son of a club stalwart.

His father still lives on the Gold Coast and gives advice to his son when required, as well as keeping his distance when required.

"A bit of both. It's a fairly good balance. He's based on the Gold Coast but he comes down a fair bit and I always talk to him about footy," said Raines junior.

"He gives me great advice and he's always there for support, but he does step away and give me my own space. It's obviously up to me at the end of the day."

Another person of influence is his official club mentor Nick Daffy, who played 161 matches for the Tigers between 1993 and 2001.

"He's been really good. We catch up once every couple of weeks, even if it's only over the phone, or going down to have a coffee with him and a bite to eat. (It's) not just talking all about footy," Raines said.

"He's a successful businessman. He talks about life outside football.

"It's good to have someone outside footy just to have a chat to who's been there and done it."

"You can use it to your advantage. If you want to go for a coffee or even if you don't want to catch up with him on a regular basis. You can use it for your advantage or disadvantage. I'll definitely use it to my advantage."

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=247087

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Blue skies ahead for Raines (RFC site)
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 11:22:58 PM »
Hope Moi's boy has a good one on Saturday. Most improved Tiger over summer IMO.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd