Author Topic: Rance praises the impact of teammates Astbury, Vlastuin and Grimes (Foxsports)  (Read 490 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond star Alex Rance praises the impact of teammates David Astbury, Nick Vlastuin and Dylan Grimes

March 26, 2018 1:33pm
Riley Beveridge
FOX SPORTS

THEY’RE the three men who let Alex Rance be Alex Rance.

And the Richmond star is rapt they’re finally getting the credit they have long deserved.

While the mosquito fleet in the Tigers’ forward line was lauded for their elite pressure and ability to convert last season, the generals down back were equally as effective.

Quelling the game’s best forwards each and every week, they helped Richmond develop the type of synergy and defensive prowess the club has long craved behind the ball.

Rance was named All-Australian captain as a result of his terrific, standout season. But the likes of Dylan Grimes, David Astbury and Nick Vlastuin were just as impenetrable.

“Away from football, they’re pheromonal men,” Rance told foxfooty.com.au from a Wolf Blass promotional event on Monday.

“Their performances have now really started to catch up with the type of characters that they are. They deserve every success that they’re receiving at the moment.

“It really is a massive help for me. They’re three generals down there.

“I’m not always going to be able to have the correct calls in my mind or be able to help everyone at every moment. So to be able to have those other guys spreading the load makes my job so much easier.”

Rance returns to the Adelaide Oval on Thursday night for Richmond’s Grand Final rematch.

Last year, he was tagged heavily at the ground by then-Port Adelaide player Jackson Trengove, who was deployed in a defensive-forward role by coach Ken Hinkley.

Rance conceded after the match that he “battled” with the tactic. But over the course of the last 12 months, he’s dealt with it more and more. And grown as a player as a result.

“I’ve got to acknowledge that it could happen,” Rance said.

“Multiple clubs tried it last year. It was used a little bit on Thursday night by Carlton, they tried it at stages, but I’m well-equipped mentally, strategically and structurally to acknowledge it now and keep moving forward.

“It was probably something that took me by surprise and it frustrated me a little bit last year. Now I just know that it’s part of the way the game is now.”

Adelaide was the most free-scoring side in the competition last season.

However, the Crows were shackled by the Tigers in last year’s Grand Final loss.

Ahead of the two sides meeting again on Thursday night, Rance said similar structures and tactics would be put in place to stop Adelaide’s efficiency forward of centre.

“The main thing is to stay connected,” Rance said.

“The teams are too good by foot and too skilful now to be one-on-one all over the ground and expect to win every single position.

“There are going to be different bounces, there are going to be so many different variables that are going to effect our one-on-one contests.

“The main focus for us, like it was in the Grand Final, is to execute our structures as best as we can for as long as we can. We’re made stronger by the people around us.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/richmond-star-alex-rance-praises-the-impact-of-teammates-david-astbury-nick-vlastuin-and-dylan-grimes/news-story/48e6fa4ea0f4188420d9067122dddc98

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
Not so good against the scum Cheats Thursday night.
2 players kicking 5 goals isn’t what you want.

The club that keeps giving.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Curnow got 2 from incorrect 50m penalties......
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Dougeytherichmondfan

Curnow got 2 from incorrect 50m penalties......
And three in total from Frees?

Wright also got lucky ones from frees up field.

Still, backline needs tod tighten up big time.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
Let’s hope our players have learnt to stay well away from the protected area and not allow the umpires cause to be trigger happy as they were last Thursday. Maybe we can get some our way too.
The club that keeps giving.