Author Topic: Round 1, 2018 - Richmond vs Carlton @ the M.C.G. / The night we unfurl our flag  (Read 12593 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond meets Carlton at the MCG on Thursday night, with a bumper crowd of more 90,000 tipped to see the Tigers unfurl their 11th flag.

While a Richmond home game, the two clubs earlier this month announced a gate-share agreement for a further 10 years for the marquee match.

The AFL’s highest-ever attended Round 1 game drew 87,119 in 1995 when Carlton played Collingwood.

The biggest season-opening Tigers-Blues clash in recent years was the 2009 fixture which drew 87,043 fans.

The Tigers remain firm favourites for the clash at $1.20 with TAB, despite four premiership players looking certain to miss.

Rioli (foot) and Broad (club suspension) will be absentees, while the Tigers are highly unlikely to take any risks with midfielder Dion Prestia (hamstring) and defender Bachar Houli (achilles/calf).

Carlton is likely to head into the mach near full-strength, with only Geelong recruit Darcy Lang (ankle) and rising defender Tom Williamson (back) in doubt.

Source: Herald-Sun website

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland

Carlton is likely to head into the mach near full-strength, with only Geelong recruit Darcy Lang (ankle) and rising defender Tom Williamson (back) in doubt.

Not that it matters much, but Docherty is out for the season and Kruezer is trying to recover from a knee injury.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
I thought Kreuzer had and ankle injury.

Also Jarrod Pickett who played well in the JLT is out for 12 weeks with a wrist fracture.  :whistle
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
What is the protocol re flag unfurling? ie who does it, what time, etc

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame

Yep, that would be useful information - need to know what time we need to leave the pub!
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Good question. I can't remember round 1 1981 as I probably hadn't sobered up yet! :lol
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
I thought Kreuzer had and ankle injury.

Yep, my bad.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia

Gameday info said to arrive at 6:45
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame
Low key apparently, no bells and whilstles.

6:45pm.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Kreuzer playing according to Carlton even if he is still carrying the ankle injury.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-03-19/incredibly-brave-kreuzer-fit-to-face-tigers

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers purring for round one

Michael Gleeson
The Age
19 March 2018

Bachar Houli has no doubt he is ready.

On Sunday he did all he could to turn the head of coach Daien Hardwick that while he might not have had the match practice, the running defender is ready to play round one. Houli was sharp, clean and looked fit in the brief training run at Punt Road Oval after recovering from Achilles and calf trouble.

The Tigers will be without Dion Presia and Daniel Rioli, with Nathan Broad suspended.

Kane Lambert did not join in with the main group at training, instead running with Dion Prestia on the boundary, but football manager Neil Balme said he was in no doubt for Thursday night's blockbuster season opener against Carlton.

"The only one (with some doubt) is Bachar Houli, who has not done that much but he wants to play and we want him to play - the discussion will be around whether we think he has done enough," Balme said.

The Tigers have Shai Bolton as an obvious like-for-like replacement for Rioli ready to come into the side. He has played in the JLT series and appears a probable inclusion for Thursday.

With Prestia out the Tigers will look to bring in a midfielder with Corey Ellis playing there during the pre-season. Anthony Miles and Sam Lloyd have also been used through the midfield in the pre-season.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/afl/richmond-tigers/tigers-purring-for-round-one-20180318-p4z4yy.html

---------------------------------------------

Running defenders Jayden Short and Reece Conca are jockeying to replace Houli and Broad, while small forward Shai Bolton is expected to take Rioli's place in attack after an impressive pre-season.

Inside midfielder Anthony Miles is a frontrunner to replace Prestia if the premiership star is ruled out, while Sam Lloyd has trained in the midfield and has also mounted a strong selection case.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-03-18/key-tigers-in-fitness-race-to-face-blues

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
KB on Sen - there will be a man living  on Mars before Carlton defeats Richmond again . Lol.
Unleash the tornado

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
MRC email has flag unfurling listed at 18:30

dwaino

I thought Prestia and Houli were only listed as 'soreness' a month ago? Surely after a month off they're good to go?

Online Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
CEllis for Prestia

Short for Houli

Garthwaite for Broad

Bolton for Rioli
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.