Author Topic: Footskills  (Read 1219 times)

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
Footskills
« on: April 01, 2006, 10:40:12 PM »
What footskills I hear you say! After watching other games this round, so far I think we have the worst footskills in the comp.
Do we know how to pass the ball to a team mate?? NO! Do we know how to kick to a lead?? NO!
Until we learn how to kick the bloody thing, we are stuffed this season. Forget about the small doggies forward line tearing us to pieces,  our turnovers were pathetic. Even when Tivendale had the perfect conditions by sweeping onto his left foot he still stuffed it up.
As mentioned earlier Paddy Bowden was the only one that was even close to an AFL standard for disposal by foot.
It was just not good enough!!! :banghead :banghead
I think it will take a few rounds before we will be able to stop the rot. Richmond 0 and 5 is a very distinct possibility. If we continue to play like we did last night, it's a damn certainty.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Footskills
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2006, 03:47:15 AM »
Bet me to it tiga - what footskills!  :scream.

The irony is the coaches that developed the doggies' footskills into one of the strongest are at Punt Road. So you'd think it's a case of ship up or ship out. The problem over the years is the players that come in are in the main just as woeful as those they are replacing.

We have too many blokes whose kicking actions and decision making are poor and crumble under game pressure. You wouldn't accept that kind of disposal from 12 year olds. It was like they hadn't played footy before :banghead.  

Another bad habit a number of our players have is initially seeing but ignoring the open first option as they hesistate in searching for another option. When there's nothing else on they just blindly return to the first option which is no longer wide open and pass off to a stationary teammate or behind him and the footy gets picked off as the kick was telegraphed.

I think it will take a few rounds before we will be able to stop the rot. Richmond 0 and 5 is a very distinct possibility. If we continue to play like we did last night, it's a damn certainty.

If were 0-5 then we will have lost to Carlton :help.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2006, 09:39:20 AM »
Bet me to it tiga - what footskills!  :scream.

Another bad habit a number of our players have is initially seeing but ignoring the open first option as they hesistate in searching for another option. When there's nothing else on they just blindly return to the first option which is no longer wide open and pass off to a stationary teammate or behind him and the footy gets picked off as the kick was telegraphed.

Agree MT With the pace of the game as it is played at today 'he who hesitates is lost" and that's what the result was.

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2006, 03:03:03 PM »
The round 1 thumping shows that our foot skills are far from good  :banghead

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2006, 06:52:26 PM »
The round 1 thumping shows that our foot skills are far from good  :banghead

It's the simple mistakes that you shake your head at because these guys do 6 or 7 skill sessions a week. It';s their profession. I'm not just talking critical turnovers but straightforward kicks (and handballs) from one Tiger  in space to another in space that miss their mark or don't go to the advantage side of a teammate. We are the worse side by miles at it and it also happens at training. It's amatuerish and as tiga said just plain not good enough!  :banghead     
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd