Author Topic: VFL Prelim Final: Richmond vs Box Hill - Sat. Sept. 16 @ North Port Oval  (Read 10533 times)

Offline ¾ T!geɹ

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: VFL Prelim Final: Richmond vs Box Hill - Sat. Sept. 16 @ North Port Oval
« Reply #75 on: September 16, 2017, 05:28:55 PM »
We're off to the VFL Grand Final  :gotigers  :clapping.

Final Score

Richmond    6.5     9.6    15.7     18.11-119
Box Hil        0.1     4.2      5.3       8.6-54

Goals: Moore 4, Lennon 2, Menadue, Chol, Lloyd, Markov, Hunt, Maric, C.Ellis, Hampson, Stengle, Darley, Mannagh, Ballard.
Good on ya guys  :cheers
That's a handy list of goal kickers  :thumbsup
The third quarter, the premiership quarter, it's Dusty time. He starts to shine and then delivers in the most AWESOME fashion.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #76 on: September 16, 2017, 05:38:28 PM »
Yep. Thanks MT.  :clapping

Those who impressed me were Markov, Miles, Menadue, Stengle, Bolton and Moore. Batch was solid and the general down back. Lloyd was good and CEllis was great until he fell awkwardly but then went off sore but not seriously injured (went back on later).

Miles is just a terrier. Continually gets the ball.

Stengle and Bolton will hopefully entertain us for years as they have some serious tricks. Markov provides so much dash off the HB line. Menadue must have put a little turbo charger in his engine as his speed has suddenly gone up a notch too.

Garthwaite looks to be a bit of a Grimes clone and is developing well.

Chol showed enough to say we should persist.

Bloody hell even Hampson took 4 contested marks. I had to pinch myself as I thought I may have been dreaming. Rucked well too. :gobdrop
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #77 on: September 16, 2017, 06:01:55 PM »
Yep. Thanks MT.  :clapping

Those who impressed me were Markov, Miles, Menadue, Stengle, Bolton and Moore. Batch was solid and the general down back. Lloyd was good and CEllis was great until he fell awkwardly but then went off sore but not seriously injured (went back on later).

Stengle and Bolton will hopefully entertain us for years as they have some serious tricks. Markov provides so much dash off the HB line. Menadue must have put a little turbo charger in his engine as his speed has suddenly gone up a notch too.

Bloody hell even Hampson took 4 contested marks. I had to pinch myself as I thought I may have been dreaming. Rucked well too. :gobdrop

And you forgot Hammer soccered a brilliant goal in the goal square better than Caddy does  :shh
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

dwaino

« Reply #78 on: September 16, 2017, 06:03:21 PM »
Batchelor had a blinder. Bolton is a gem too.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #79 on: September 16, 2017, 06:08:23 PM »
No probs, guys  :cheers.

DISPOSALS:

Miles 34,
Lloyd 30,
Markov 26, ..... best game I've seen him play.
C.Ellis 23,
Short 22,
Menadue 21.

https://twitter.com/RichmondVFL
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #80 on: September 16, 2017, 06:13:47 PM »

Great summary, YaBB  :thumbsup. Agree with all of it.

Chol's positioning was much much better today. He got to the right areas in the contests and his hands were good. He could have kicked at least 3-4 goals if his kicking didn't let him down.

The tough decision next week will be who to play between the Ivan cousins in the ruck. Soldo may miss again in favour of Maric in his last game of footy.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Jackstar is back!!!

« Reply #81 on: September 16, 2017, 06:20:16 PM »
Just got back from game
Outstanding effort
Can't see Soldo playing next week
Callum Moore will be a star

Jackstar is back!!!

« Reply #82 on: September 16, 2017, 06:49:44 PM »
Jake Batchelor easy BOG

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #83 on: September 16, 2017, 06:50:41 PM »
Was Chris Newman involved in another finals loss? :rollin
The club that keeps giving.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #84 on: September 16, 2017, 06:52:51 PM »
Craig McRae.  :clapping :clapping :clapping :bow :bow :bow :cheers :cheers :cheers
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #85 on: September 16, 2017, 08:39:23 PM »
Peter Jackson VFL 2017

Box Hill Hawks   0.1  4.2   5.3     8.6 (54)
Richmond          6.5  9.6  15.7  18.11 (119)

GOALS:
Box Hill Hawks: Mirra 2 Hanrahan  Murphy  Pittonet  Kennedy  Stewart  Willsmore
Richmond: Moore 3 Lennon 2 Darley  Maric  Ballard  Miles  Stengle  Menadue  Markov  Ellis  Lloyd  Mannagh  Chol  Hampson  Hunt

BEST:
Box Hill Hawks: Pittonet Heatherley Hams Hanrahan Whitecross Mirra
Richmond: Batchelor Hunt Moore Short Miles Hampson

https://membership.sportstg.com/results/rpt_progressive.cgi?aID=4138&pg=1&a=MR

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #86 on: September 16, 2017, 08:41:05 PM »
VFL Tigers advance to Grand Final

richmondfc.com.au
16 September 2017

The VFL Tigers won a coveted position in the 2017 VFL Grand Final in emphatic fashion on Saturday, running over Box Hill by 65 points at North Port Oval.

Craig McRae’s side flew out of the gates in the first quarter, kicking six unanswered goals to set up the lead and never looked back as they cruised into next week’s decider at Etihad Stadium.

Callum Moore was a standout performer in the forward line, booting three goals and gathering 16 disposals, while the ever-reliable Anthony Miles, (34 disposals, nine clearances and one goal), Sam Lloyd (30 disposals, five tackles, one goal) and Jake Batchelor (15 disposals, nine marks) were also key performers.

An elated McRae spoke highly of the close connection and bond shared by his side, and highlighted the first quarter as a catalyst for the big victory.

“I thought the connection of the players was fantastic,” McRae said.

“It was so important to get the start we did. Box Hill are a fantastic side, but it was always going to be hard to come back from that."

McRae also spoke highly of Moore, whose impact has been seismic since returning from an ankle injury.

“He’s just about been our most consistent finals performer,” he said.

“He’s kicked three goals in two seperate finals, which is a fantastic sign.

“It’s great to see him out there having an impact."

It was Moore himself who got the ball rolling in the first quarter, cleverly staying on the ground in a big contest and taking a simple chest mark, which he converted for the first major of the day.

The Tiger players rallied to Moore’s side and it wasn’t long before they followed his lead, with Connor Menadue kicking truly from close range before Sam Lloyd converted a free kick from a similar distance.

Oleg Markov, Mabior Chol and Taylor Hunt put more misery on the Hawks with majors to end the quarter, while Batchelor, Hugh Beasley and Sam Darley were proving to be an almost unbeatable defence, conceding only one behind in the first term.

While Box Hill managed to start adding some scoreboard pressure in the second term, the VFL Tigers refused to allow them back into the contest, with further goals to Darley and Moore keeping the Hawks at bay.

Ivan Maric, who was a late inclusion for fellow tall and cousin Ivan Soldo, then made his mark with a towering grab at the top of the goal square, with his goal sinking hopes of a Hawks revival in the shadows of half-time.

Menadue was having a half to remember, using his pace and disposal to deadly effect, while Jayden Short’s four rebound-50s were a sign of his effectiveness in the back half.

With clear advantages in contested and uncontested ball around the ground, McRae’s side set about putting the game to bed in the third term, and showed no mercy to the side that beat them in their Round 5 clash earlier in the year.

Shaun Hampson, who had been tirelessly working against the Hawks’ Marc Pittonet in the ruck, reaped the rewards of his efforts with a soccered goal to start the term.

Tyson Stengle and Lennon then fired a quick double, before last week’s two-goal hero Shaun Mannagh added a major, continuing his stellar form in the back half of the season.

A late goal to Corey Ellis was the final nail in the coffin with a quarter still to play, however, the VFL Tigers put their foot firmly on Box Hill’s throat, keeping the margin above 10 goals for the remainder of the match.

Jacob Ballard became the 15th individual goalkicker with his goal at the start of the term, before Moore aded the cherry on top with a classy finish.

The VFL Tigers' opponents for next week will be decided when Port Melbourne and Williamstown clash in Sunday's second preliminary final.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2017-09-16/vfl-preliminary-final-match-report

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #88 on: September 16, 2017, 08:51:01 PM »
Tiger smalls turn up the heat for prelim spots

afl.com.au
16 September 2017

RICHMOND small forwards Tyson Stengle and Shai Bolton have turned up the heat on out-of-sorts teammate Jason Castagna with impressive performances for their Grand Final-bound VFL side.

Castagna looks to be the sole Richmond player in danger of losing his position for the Tigers' AFL preliminary final next week against Greater Western Sydney or West Coast at the MCG.

The round 19 NAB AFL Rising Star nominee has a total of 21 possessions and one goal across his past four games, although he has had 15 tackles in that time.

Richmond advanced to the VFL decider with a crushing 18.11 (119) to 8.6 (54) thrashing of Box Hill at Port Melbourne's Fortburn Stadium.

Steven Morris takes a mark as Reece Conca goes flying in the VFL preliminary final. Picture: AFL Photos

The Tigers will play the winner of Sunday’s other preliminary final between Williamstown and Port Melbourne as they bid to win just their third VFL/VFA premiership and first since 1905. They made their last VFL Grand Final a decade ago while still aligned with Coburg.

Stengle, in particular, pressed his case with a terrific display from the start, including a great rundown tackle in the opening minutes and four score involvements in the third quarter alone. One of those was a goal of his own after a clever Bolton handball.

The 171cm South Australian, who made his debut in round 15, added a highlight-reel handball over his head to fellow rookie-listed Tiger Mabior Chol to create another goal for Jacob Ballard in the last term.

Stengle was of many Richmond players to shine, along with defensive dasher Oleg Markov (26 disposals) and perennial ball-winners Anthony Miles (34), Sam Lloyd (30), Corey Ellis (23) and Connor Menadue (21).

Forgotten ruckman Shaun Hampson outperformed fellow tall Ben Griffiths to give him the edge if the Tigers elect for extra height to support Toby Nankervis and bring in another marking option in attack.

Hampson had a close ruck battle with 21-year-old Hawk Marc Pittonet, but it was his strong contested marking at both ends – four for the match – that would have endeared him to selectors.

Markov, who added a goal, was close to best afield as he bids to earn his AFL spot back after Josh Caddy replaced him last week.

"We came in with the mindset to make someone else in your team better and I hope we did perform that, so it's good," Markov told Channel 7 after the game.

"(Our forward pressure) was amazing and it made our job easier down back … tackles win games."

Rookie-listed Callum Moore kicked three goals and Ben Lennon two as 15 Richmond players slotted maximum points.

The Tigers, who had 19 AFL-listed players compared to Box Hill's 11, set the win up with a six-goal-to-none opening term, with Miles (nine possessions) and Lloyd and Markov (eight each) pivotal in the hot start.

Pittonet and promising teenager Oliver Hanrahan, who was especially good in the opening half, were Hawthorn's best contributors.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-09-16/tiger-smalls-turn-up-the-heat-for-prelim-spots

Online The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #89 on: September 16, 2017, 08:55:30 PM »
We have so much talent at VFL level it is amazing just how far we have come as a club. Ellis has impressed me during the last 4-6 weeks...playing hard footy :clapping love Short, Menadue, Stengel, Moore and Bolton who could be a star of the competition. The whole group is playing unbelievabley well  :cheers :gotigers