Author Topic: VFL Grand Final: Richmond vs Port Melbourne, Sun. Sept. 24 @ Etihad  (Read 9591 times)

Offline crackertiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: VFL Grand Final: Richmond vs Port Melbourne, Sun. Sept. 24 @ Etihad
« Reply #105 on: September 24, 2017, 06:18:11 PM »
I thought McRae coached badly in the last quarter. They had 8 defenders and ran off half back at will. He failed to stop it and thats why we lost the game. It was that simple. We would win it out of the middle but they would out number us accross half back and go coast to coast....

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #106 on: September 24, 2017, 06:23:48 PM »
Who is Child?
Chol.

Sorry was on my phone and did not notice the autocorrect.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #107 on: September 24, 2017, 06:39:37 PM »
Just got home from the game and thought I'd share my immediate thoughts:

Shaun  :banghead stuffing  :banghead Hamspud :banghead

That is all.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #108 on: September 24, 2017, 06:47:54 PM »
Sounds like they muffed certain victory .
Unleash the tornado

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #109 on: September 24, 2017, 08:50:38 PM »
Went today, still buzzing.

Was a fair drop in standard from AFL prelim.
Ellis and Short were great all game. Bolton was electrifying. Lloyd got a lot of it but didn't think he was too damaging. Menadue good 2nd half.

Apart from that hmm.

Griffiths is finished. Went off twice 'sore' and looked done for day only to come back fine. Rest pretty ordinary.

That little number 19 for PM was unreal. Rookie him.
Go Tigers!

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #110 on: September 24, 2017, 08:51:55 PM »
Just got home from the game and thought I'd share my immediate thoughts:

Shaun  :banghead stuffing  :banghead Hamspud :banghead

That is all.

dropped fresh air chest mark.

and then....

trampoline hands, turnaround goal

piece of poo
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #111 on: September 24, 2017, 09:06:02 PM »
Really disappointing effort

Should not have lost that game

No one on the edge of the AFL side did anything to warrant selection for the GF

Was so disappointed with so many just not worth going through them. One positive is there are some we will never see in a RFC jumper again

As for Hampson, fluffing simple uncontested marks in the last when the game's on the line should be enough to ensure he doesnt get a look in next week

It was disgraceful

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #112 on: September 24, 2017, 10:07:08 PM »
So Lennon muffed the last shot on goal to lose the game after the siren I hear?  Was it a tough shot or a soda?  He looks like he has bulked up a bit, is he looking like he might of turned his poo around or is he still soft as a freshly pinched loaf
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #113 on: September 24, 2017, 10:17:38 PM »
So Lennon muffed the last shot on goal to lose the game after the siren I hear?  Was it a tough shot or a soda?  He looks like he has bulked up a bit, is he looking like he might of turned his poo around or is he still soft as a freshly pinched loaf
It was a set shot from beyond 50. He actually made the distance but it went to the right and missed. You can't blame him for that miss but his whole game was poor likely many of his teammates. That kick will be his last in yellow and black.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #114 on: September 24, 2017, 10:19:18 PM »
Heartbreak for VFL Tigers

richmondfc.com.au
24 September 2017

The VFL Tigers endured a heartbreaking end to the 2017 season on Sunday, going down to Port Melbourne by four points in the VFL Grand Final.

In a match that see-sawed all day long, the VFL Tigers held a 13-point lead midway through the final term, but the Borough managed to fight back and take the lead as the clock ticked down.

The pressure then came to a crescendo when Ben Lennon marked outside 50, and the siren blew with Port Melbourne five points ahead.

Lennon’s effort faded right at the eleventh hour, with the result falling Port Melbourne's way.

Not all Tigers went without reward, however, with Sam Lloyd winning the Norm Goss Memorial Medal thanks to a 35 disposal, 10 clearances, nine tackle and one-goal performance.

Lloyd gave credit to the victorious Borough, while acknowledging the efforts of his teammates throughout a tumultuous season.

“To Port Melbourne, fantastic game boys, you really deserve it,” Lloyd said.

“To our boys, we tried our hardest...

“To our supporters and the seniors, thanks for coming to support us.”

Riding the wave of momentum of the AFL side’s preliminary final win on Saturday, the VFL Tigers came flying out of the gates in the first quarter, and were buoyed by a star showing from Shai Bolton.

The speedster was on hand to nail the game’s first goal after being found by Callum Moore, and added one more seconds later after bursting out from the centre and kicking truly from outside the arc.

After Port answered back quickly, Bolton added one more party-piece to end the quarter, shimmying his way around a Port defender on a tight angle and centering the ball for Ben Griffiths, who converted from close range.

However, even with a strong first quarter showing under their belt, the VFL Tigers had to defend valiantly throughout the second quarter as the Borough starting piling on the pressure.

Batchelor and Ryan Garthwaite were working overtime, repelling wave after wave of attack, receiving ample support from Reece Conca and a resurgent Corey Ellis.

Griffiths and Bolton were trying to increase the scoreboard pressure at the other end, however, an inspired Port defence managed to keep the VFL Tigers goalless throughout the quarter.

Shaun Hampson continued to boast aerial dominance throughout the game, taking a series of marks around the ground and providing a target for the side’s disposal experts.

Knowing Port would again attack the contest with ferocity in the third stanza, Connor Menadue bought his best to the fore, nailing two goals in an attempt to win some much-needed breathing space.

However, Port simply wouldn’t go away, and managed to keep themselves in the game by three-quarter time, trailing by only two points.

In a final term that reflected the intensity of the match, Lloyd kicked his first of the day with a monstrous effort from beyond the arc, before Lennon mirrored his efforts with a composed set shot from similar range.

After Port answered back again, Lloyd worked hard to create a turnover in Port’s defensive 50, Shaun Mannagh making the most of the chance with a crafty snap and goal.

However, three quick-fire goals to the Borough turned the match on it’s head, and suddenly, the VFL Tigers faced a difficult test to regain the ascendancy.

After relentless waves of attack, Lennon finally found himself with an opportunity from long range, and though the distance did not trouble the VFL Tigers’ leading goal kicker for 2017, the effort carried wide of the target, leaving the Tigers on the wrong side of a remarkable Grand Final.

Alongside Lloyd; Bolton, Hampson and Batchelor were among the finest performers for the VFL Tigers on the day.

Plaudits also went to Griffiths, who overcame an injury scare in the third quarter to finish as the side’s leading goal kicker with three majors.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2017-09-24/heartbreak-for-vfl-tigers

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #115 on: September 24, 2017, 10:19:25 PM »
Got to hand it to PM.  Out coached McRae easily and they moved the ball out of our forward line easily all day.  Our defence was terrific as was Hampson until late when he dropped 2 marks and cost them goals. 

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #116 on: September 24, 2017, 10:20:58 PM »
Forgotten Tiger puts hand up for GF call-up

afl.com.au
24 September 2017

FORGOTTEN Richmond forward Sam Lloyd is adamant he could contribute if he receives a shock call-up to the AFL side for the Grand Final, after winning the Norm Goss Medal for best afield in the VFL decider at Etihad Stadium on Sunday.

Playing through the midfield in front of a 17,159-strong crowd, Lloyd racked up 35 disposals, 10 clearances and nine tackles.

His huge last term showed he could deliver under pressure, slotting a crucial goal, and setting up a couple of others – one with a spoil from a Port Melbourne kick-in and another by delivering the ball lace out for key forward Ben Griffiths.

The match itself was an amazing contest, with Port down by 13 points with just minutes remaining but eventually clawing back into the lead. The final siren went with the ball in Ben Lennon's hands and Richmond down by five points, but his shot from inside the centre square sailed wide, in what may be the out-of-contract former No.12 selection's last kick in the yellow and black.

Port Melbourne won the enthralling contest, 11.8 (74) to 10.10 (70).

A downcast Lloyd told reporters after the game his running had improved, allowing him to play as an onballer.

"My fitness levels have really improved the last couple of years and I've pinch-hit at times through there and if I got the opportunity, I'm sure I could do something in there," Lloyd said.

While the senior side is unlikely to make forced changes after two comprehensive finals victories, the availability of Brandon Ellis and Trent Cotchin is uncertain, with both set to be scrutinised by the Match Review Panel.

Ellis collected Greater Western Sydney midfielder Lachie Whitfield high in the last term while a hit from the captain on Dylan Shiel, that left the Giant with delayed concussion, will also be looked at.

"I've been pushing my hand up to get into the midfield in the AFL for a couple of years now but we've just got too many mids," Lloyd said.

Others to impress were Anthony Miles (24 disposals and seven clearances) and Corey Ellis (23 disposals), while Griffiths booted three goals and offered an aerial presence.

Electric small forward Shai Bolton started the game on fire with a couple of early goals and a goal assist, but he faded out of the contest.

Typically stationed in attack in the senior side, coach Damien Hardwick wanted Lloyd to develop his midfield skills in the VFL team, with an abundance of forwards at reserves level another reason the 27-year-old has been pushed up the ground.

"I would've thought he's been one of our better performed for the last month. He continued that," VFL coach Craig McRae said.

Lloyd finished with 50 disposals and four goals against Sandringham about a month ago.

He had a sore right thumb after the clash with Port Melbourne but said he would be fine for next Saturday's game at the MCG, in what would be his ninth AFL match of the season, and his first since the round 16 thumping at the hands of St Kilda.

It looms as a big few days for Lloyd, who will accompany Dustin Martin to the Brownlow Medal on Monday night.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-09-24/forgotten-tiger-lloyd-puts-hand-up-for-gf-callup

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #117 on: September 24, 2017, 11:08:11 PM »
I thought McRae coached badly in the last quarter. They had 8 defenders and ran off half back at will. He failed to stop it and thats why we lost the game. It was that simple. We would win it out of the middle but they would out number us accross half back and go coast to coast....

Having a half fit Griffiths back on was a liability also

Online eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #118 on: September 25, 2017, 06:01:23 AM »
Really disappointing effort

Should not have lost that game

No one on the edge of the AFL side did anything to warrant selection for the GF

Was so disappointed with so many just not worth going through them. One positive is there are some we will never see in a RFC jumper again

As for Hampson, fluffing simple uncontested marks in the last when the game's on the line should be enough to ensure he doesnt get a look in next week

It was disgraceful

Agree very disappointing loss.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #119 on: September 25, 2017, 07:19:33 AM »
pin it on Hampson.
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018