Author Topic: Wallace's Ark  (Read 10149 times)

Jackstar

Re: Wallace's Ark
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2004, 10:40:19 AM »
Yes, forgot about Marsh, another waste of space !
You right about Miller I would think, back to the Hammerheads for Greg. ;)

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2004, 11:52:36 AM »
well look at the bright side guys- without these lemons we wouldnt be in with a chance of a priority pick this season. Lets hope they keep it nice and simple with the early picks...just select the best available...come on down- lance franklin and fabian deluca!

Offline Struggletown

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2004, 12:28:51 PM »
Dont forget Adam Pickering while on the Carlton scrapheap topic.Come to think of it,has any good come from the appointment of Brittain?We get murdered from midfield even when we are winning tap outs.
Next season l really dont mind who goes bar 3-4 players.
If we HAVE to go down the rejects road again,please make them youngish players and not old hacks like sziller/fletcher ect.Give us some pace too FFS.
As soon as the weather cleared up on Sunday l feared the Dockers would start to run us off our feet.
We must delist Marsh,Hilton,Rogers,Kellaway,Nicholls,Fletcher,Fleming.
Listen to offers for absolutely anyone bar Cogs and Brown.
We need 2 blokes to introduce the new board,the new recruiting staff,fitness staff and half the playing list to each other! 
Drink,Drugs and Shagging models.
The rest l just wasted.
  George Best on where his millions went

Offline wrennyboy

• Future Richmond star
  • Captain Coughlan
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2004, 01:03:38 PM »
come on down- lance franklin and fabian deluca!

Are these guys good? I think they are both KP players we should choose a ruckman which is deluca and also another young midfield i think. Unless gilmour and raines really step up i dont know. What you guys recken we should get with our priority picks?
wrenny

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2004, 01:32:14 PM »
Under the Miller reign we have picked up Fleming, Nichols, Fletcher, Weller, Morrison and Marsh in only 2 years.  None of whom IMO will be part of our immediate future.

Apart from maybe Weller and Morrison, I doubt that the others were looked on as long-term prospects.  Probably more “filling in the gaps” until the younger players come through.

It hasn’t worked out, so it’s looked on as a bad way to go about things.  Under different circumstances, it may have worked out better, but it seems the wrong way to have gone about it now.  The thing is, we can’t get anything decent out of our “good” players, so why we would expect “fringe” players to make an impact is beyond me.

People are hailing Miller as the saviour - I have my doubts.

You could be right HH, but right now he’s the closest thing we’ve got to any “football nous” at the Club.  How worse off could we be without him?
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2004, 02:31:33 PM »
I understand what you are saying in regards to "filling in the gaps" but what gaps were they trying to fill ?  The gap between 8th and 10th ? 

That's been the problem with the whole football club.  They are not sure about what direction they should be heading.  Which club in their right mind that has been consistently finishing 9th would recruit players like Fleming, Nichols, Fletcher, Marsh etc. ?  Recruiting mature aged average players to me says that they are doing all they can to hang onto 9th spot !!

As for Morrison and Weller - I beleive this is a weak reruiting effort.  The club didn't even know how tall Morrison was FFS !!  There is no way he can hold down a CHF in the VFL.  Why was he recruited.  Weller is just way too slow to play any level of football.  Also pathetic skills.  I ask the question - did Miller even see these players before he drafted them ?  Did he at least see them at training ?  Because if he did then I question his eye for talent.  If he didn't then it was negligent of him.

I can only judge Miller on his recruiting so far.

Weller, Morrison, Fletcher, Marsh, Fleming, Nichols and Pickering are negatives to his name so far.

Johnson and Brown - people will say these are positives but I will beg to differ as we need to be rebuilding and not topping the list at the expense of numerous valuable early picks.

The kids - besides Schulz, Hartigan and to a lesser extent Roach and Foley, the rest are very speculative so far and really haven't shown much. 

I'm glad we've recruited a heap of kids last year, but Miller has placed alot of faith in his ability to spot talent in the low aged speculative kids.  Unless these kids develop into very good players, Miller will have taken the club back even further.

Overall I would rate his performance so far as 5 out of 10 at best .
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2004, 02:42:03 PM »
What about Jackson - HarryH?

I think he shows a lot and will be a gun.

Granted he didn't get much time on Saturday but in the last quarter he stood out amongst the Richmond listed players I reckon
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2004, 03:19:08 PM »
Yeah Jackson looked OK - I liked his attack on the ball in a couple of marking contests.

Another thing I'm not happy about (I'm not in a good mood today) is the lack of game time the young rookies are getting at Coburg.  David Flood is going down the same track as Frawley in keeping the kids on the bench most of the game and then playing them in the foward pocket when given minimal game time.

Not good enough and I will be sending the club an email regarding this !!
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2004, 03:33:21 PM »
I understand what you are saying in regards to "filling in the gaps" but what gaps were they trying to fill ?  The gap between 8th and 10th ? 

That's been the problem with the whole football club.  They are not sure about what direction they should be heading.  Which club in their right mind that has been consistently finishing 9th would recruit players like Fleming, Nichols, Fletcher, Marsh etc. ?  Recruiting mature aged average players to me says that they are doing all they can to hang onto 9th spot !!

I’ve gone past trying to defend them HH.  I was just trying to explain their reasoning.  I’m with you on this and also think we’ve set ourselves back for sure.  From what they have said, it was all about being competitive while bringing the younger players through.  It hasn’t worked out that way, if anything it has backfired badly.

As for Morrison and Weller - I beleive this is a weak reruiting effort.  The club didn't even know how tall Morrison was FFS !!  There is no way he can hold down a CHF in the VFL.  Why was he recruited.  Weller is just way too slow to play any level of football.  Also pathetic skills.  I ask the question - did Miller even see these players before he drafted them ?  Did he at least see them at training ?  Because if he did then I question his eye for talent.  If he didn't then it was negligent of him.

From what we have seen in the seniors and also what we saw on the weekend, your assessment seems on the mark.

I can only judge Miller on his recruiting so far.

Weller, Morrison, Fletcher, Marsh, Fleming, Nichols and Pickering are negatives to his name so far.

Johnson and Brown - people will say these are positives but I will beg to differ as we need to be rebuilding and not topping the list at the expense of numerous valuable early picks.

I agree with you that we need to re-build.  But the positive of having these two is that they raise the standards for those around them.  Our coaching staff don’t seem capable of doing that, so at least we can have some players who can show the way, in some respects.  Under a better set up, it wouldn’t be so vital to have experienced players from other Clubs topping up our list.  It probably says something about the confidence the coaching staff have in their ability to develop players.

The kids - besides Schulz, Hartigan and to a lesser extent Roach and Foley, the rest are very speculative so far and really haven't shown much. 

I'm glad we've recruited a heap of kids last year, but Miller has placed alot of faith in his ability to spot talent in the low aged speculative kids.  Unless these kids develop into very good players, Miller will have taken the club back even further.

That’s the same for every Club, I would think HH.  Our ability to develop players will no doubt determine the success or otherwise of our recruiting.  And we all know that unless big changes are made, the likelihood of that happening is minimal.

Overall I would rate his performance so far as 5 out of 10 at best .

Understandable rating HH.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2004, 07:34:05 AM »
I bet Ben Holland is laughing at Richmond now, with Melbourne being third on the ladder.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2004, 10:59:27 AM »
I bet Ben Holland is laughing at Richmond now, with Melbourne being third on the ladder.

and the Tigers paying some of his salary  ::)
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2004, 03:21:51 PM »

He's only a fringe player at the demons and a SLOW one at that. Looks like he'll get dropped this week. As dumb a decision it was to put him on a long-term and $$$ contract after only one good year for us (thanks Brayshaw!), it was a smart move to offload him. If Holland had stayed we would be paying double what we are now for him and getting about the same amount of return from him as we do now.

I'd reckon Gas depending on what West Coast and Freo do is in danger of being similarly traded this year. Especially if we are to reduce our TPP to 97% of the salary cap.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline wrennyboy

• Future Richmond star
  • Captain Coughlan
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2004, 05:23:56 PM »
If i was down at punt road this year i would be playing for priority picks definatly.

But this is what i think we need to look for with list wise.

Pickups- John Baird+ Corey Jones for Ty Zantuck+Rory Hilton
          - Adam Hunter+a 2nd Round Pick for Darren Gasper+ Mark Chaffey
          - Steve Johnson for a 3rd round pick.

All these guys i like and i beleive have ability and would help out richmond. Steve johnson for instance. Now that geelnog have a big forawrd line and lots of options he isnt getting a game and he is very skilled and kicked like 30 goals last year and is still young which is good.

Delist- Houlihan,Nicholls,Fletcher,
Retire- Rogers, D.Kellaway

Plus with the improvement from hartigan,schultz and tuck this would be the team for next year

B: Newman Hall Pettifer
HB: Hunter Baird Campbell
C: Tivendale Johnson(c) Bowden
HF: Krakouer Schultz Blumfield
FF: Jones Richo S.Johnson
Foll: Ottens Brown(vc) Coughlan
Int: Hyde Tuck Stafford Fiora
Emg: Fleming, Weller, Morrison

Hall to get best forward every week and hunter and baird for other tall options. The development of pettifer should stay down back for another year. Schultz to be our main CHF.

There would also be the players that we picked up in teh draft plus the other guys that cant get a game competing for a spot in the magoos. Cant wait till we unveil our Number 1 and 2 draft picks ;D
wrenny

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2004, 05:40:54 PM »
Wrenny remember our 3rd round pick is for the father-son rule. Unless we trade for another 3rd round pick then we need to keep on hold to it.

I have no problem with the players you've chosen as trade bait (Rory wouldn't have any value though) but we have to stop trading for other sides left overs. If these guys can't get a game at the Club they are at now then most likely they will be no better than what we already have and won't improve our list.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Ox

« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2004, 05:54:06 PM »
Tell me about Kym Monteath somebody please ?
I've heard good things but nothing concrete.