Author Topic: Gold Coast praccie match - Tigers vs Sydney  (Read 6943 times)

letsgetiton!

Re: Gold Coast praccie match - Tigers vs Sydney
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2006, 11:16:04 PM »
Sydney was dealt a minor blow in the opening quarter when wingman Nic Fosdike suffered a broken nose and a corked thigh in a sickening head collision with Tigers half forward Brett Deledio.

Stuff Fosdike, how's Lids lol
Good to see Pettifer in the best players
lids came out of it winded and shaken , but not stirred, he was ok, but didnt have much infkuence after that, he will be targeted this yr

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers comfortably defeat Swans (afl.com.au)
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2006, 11:28:07 PM »
Tigers comfortably defeat Swans
10:39:33 PM Sat 11 March, 2006
Andrew Browne at Carrara
Exclusive to afl.com.au

Richmond has continued its positive build-up to the premiership season by easily defeating the Sydney Swans by 40 points in their NAB Challenge match at Carrara on Saturday night.

Following a slow and inaccurate start, the Tigers - through their tall and more effective forward line - eventually overcame a slightly disappointing performance by the reigning premiers to triumph 13.11.(89) to 7.7.(49) with spearhead Matthew Richardson booting four goals and big man Greg Stafford two.

The Swans remain winless during the 2006 pre-season and remarkably have now lost 13 pre-season matches under Paul Roos since he took over the coaching job in 2002.

The Tigers established a 16-point lead by half-time courtesy of two quick goals to Richardson - who proved a handful for former Essendon player Ted Richards - at the top of the quarter and then late goals to Kayne Pettifer and Nathan Brown gave them the momentum at the main break.

An even third term saw both teams score three goals apiece before the Tigers broke away to a six-goal lead at the start of the final quarter with three goals in as many minutes to Coughlan, Stafford and Richardson to put the game beyond the Swans' reach.

Brown would be pleased with his form in his second game back since breaking his leg last season with coach Terry Wallace confident enough to give him a bit of time on the ball as well as around the goals underneath the taller forwards Richardson, Stafford and young improver Daniel Jackson.

Besides Richardson and Stafford up front, the Tigers were well served by players such as Kayne Pettifer, Shane Tuck and Richard Tambling who were amongst 25 players and an interchange bench used like a revolving door by Wallace in the confidence-boosting hit-out.

The Swans had few players who stood out, especially after half-time but Luke Ablett, Ryan O'Keefe and defender Craig Bolton could hold their heads high.

Michael O'Loughlin, playing his first game since last year's grand final, was given a solid work out by Roos by spending all but a few minutes of each quarter on the field. He at times ventured away from the goal square where he picked several touches up the field and will no doubt benefit from the run.

Besides the Tigers' poor kicking for goal, the opening term was marred by a sickening collision between Swans utility Nic Fosdike and Tiger young gun Brett Deledio on Richmond's half-forward line just prior to the break.

Both players showed tremendous courage as a high ball was kicked from a centre bounce after second-year player Adam Pattison had finally shown his more experienced Tiger teammates how to kick straight following six behinds - all from set shots.

Fosdike ran in from the wing with pace and Deledio from the forward line when the players met heavily. The Swans player was momentarily knocked out and with blood streaming from a broken nose, was carried off on a stretcher and took no further part in the game.

Deledio showed no ill effects from the clash to stay on the ground and be useful contributor along with fellow youngsters Brent Hartigan and Nathan Foley who displayed plenty of dash and Andrew Raines, who no doubt enjoyed kicking a goal in the final term in his return to the Gold Coast in front of family and friends.

For their final tune-ups before the premiership season, the Swans will attempt to regain some winning form against St Kilda in Newcastle next Saturday while the Tigers meet Essendon in Mildura on Friday night.

While the crowd of 6277 did not match the figure from the opening NAB Cup game between the Brisbane Lions and Essendon for the second match scheduled at Carrara in 2006, Gold Coasters will receive a bonus next week with confirmation the Lions will play Collingwood in an NAB Challenge match at the venue next Saturday night.

SYDNEY: 2.1, 3.3, 6.4, 7.7 (49)
RICHMOND: 1.6, 5.7, 8.10, 13.11 (89)

GOALS -
Sydney: Hall 3, O'Keefe, Ablett, Malceski, Davis
Richmond: Richardson 4 Stafford 2, Brown, Pattison, Pettifer, Hyde, Coughlan, Tuck, Raines

BEST -
Sydney : O'Keefe, Ablett, Hall, C.Bolton
Richmond: Richardson, Pettifer, Tuck, Tivendale, Hartigan

INJURIES -
Sydney: Fosdike (broken nose and corked thigh) Barry (bruised shoulder)
Richmond: Nil

REPORTS: Nil

UMPIRES: McLaren, McKenzie, Davis, Jeffery
CROWD: 6277 at Carrara

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=250588

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Tigers comfortably defeat Swans (afl.com.au)
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2006, 11:37:16 PM »
Best - Richmond: Richardson, Pettifer, Tuck, Tivendale, Hartigan

Go Tivs  ;D

Great to hear Blingers, Harts, Petts, Foley and Rainesy all did well.

INJURIES - Richmond: Nil

The best news to come out of the game.

Lids is one big boy now. Not surprised Fosdike came off second best.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Ox

« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2006, 11:43:24 PM »
how did the krak go ????

Offline H Tiger

• Premiership Captain
  • Tigers the biggest hunter
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2006, 01:02:48 AM »
Just arrived home (I drove back to Brisvegas).

I'll just add a little that I saw as I think the report is pretty much right.

We are very lucky Lids wasn't hurt more seriously in his clash with Fosdike, it was sickening stuff. Both guys fully committed and went for the ball absolutely wiping each other out, Fosdike did not move.

Goal kicking was very poor to begin but improved throughout the night.

I thought Tiv was very ordinary particularly in the second Q when he turned it over on our forward 50. Improved? Not on that performance.

Pettifer from what I saw, and I swapped to our scoring end all night, was BOG.
He looked different, good, important to the side. He looked confident and if Petts is anything he is a confidence player.

Richo was himself, awsome, he missed a few set shots but he is clearly our most important player. We are Richo focused going in to our forward line, as always, but this is because his marking demands that we are.

Patto did some nice things in the second half but as others have said on this site before there is little hope for him to become a CHF. Smaller than I thought too.

Pat Bowden shut Goodes out of the game, no mean feat IMO, anyway I was impressed.

Bling got the biggest noises from the crowd with his pace and ability, unlucky not to have kicked a couple. He could exert more defencive pressure though with his he should gobble up attackers but he is hesitent in defence.

Raines really deserved his goal at the end. Certainty for round 1.

Finally...... Roach and Tiv probably played themselves out of the round 1 team, Hartigan was poorish also. The rest................ I was very happy

Krak did pretty well, not sure how many possies, but he had it a bit and laid a couple of nice tackles

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2006, 02:47:17 AM »
Coaches say from the Herald-Sun (added to the foxsports article):

Tigers coach Terry Wallace was pleased with the victory but noted his team had enjoyed an extra four weeks of pre-season training than the Swans after finishing 12th last season.

"You'd expect from that aspect we were just that more rounded in conditioning but they'll always test you out physically and mentally," Wallace added.

"It was a pretty close, checking type game for a long period and that's the manner in which they played their footy.

"To be able to deal with that, handle that and match that, it was a good hit-out for us.

"The most pleasing aspect at this time of the year is to come out without any injuries."

Swans coach Paul Roos said next week's practice game against St Kilda in Newcastle was a more vital test of his team's standing leading into its season-opening clash with Essendon on April 1.

"As a coach you have to analyse it correctly and make smart deductions from the game rather than jumping at shadows," Roos said about the loss.

"They're a month further advanced and their skills were better than ours.

"That's why next week and the week after become important for us in preparation for round one."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,18433549%255E20322,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2006, 03:44:21 AM »
Just arrived home (I drove back to Brisvegas).

I'll just add a little that I saw as I think the report is pretty much right.

We are very lucky Lids wasn't hurt more seriously in his clash with Fosdike, it was sickening stuff. Both guys fully committed and went for the ball absolutely wiping each other out, Fosdike did not move.

Goal kicking was very poor to begin but improved throughout the night.

I thought Tiv was very ordinary particularly in the second Q when he turned it over on our forward 50. Improved? Not on that performance.

Pettifer from what I saw, and I swapped to our scoring end all night, was BOG.
He looked different, good, important to the side. He looked confident and if Petts is anything he is a confidence player.

Richo was himself, awsome, he missed a few set shots but he is clearly our most important player. We are Richo focused going in to our forward line, as always, but this is because his marking demands that we are.

Patto did some nice things in the second half but as others have said on this site before there is little hope for him to become a CHF. Smaller than I thought too.

Pat Bowden shut Goodes out of the game, no mean feat IMO, anyway I was impressed.

Bling got the biggest noises from the crowd with his pace and ability, unlucky not to have kicked a couple. He could exert more defencive pressure though with his he should gobble up attackers but he is hesitent in defence.

Raines really deserved his goal at the end. Certainty for round 1.

Finally...... Roach and Tiv probably played themselves out of the round 1 team, Hartigan was poorish also. The rest................ I was very happy

Krak did pretty well, not sure how many possies, but he had it a bit and laid a couple of nice tackles

Great report HT. Very much appreciated  :clapping  :cheers. It's a 3 hour drive from Brissie to the Gold Coast?

A couple of questions ....

Was Pettifer still trying to avoid using his left hand with the broken finger?

and How did Schulz and the rest of our defence go against Barry Hall, O'Loughlin, Davis and co?

Offline H Tiger

• Premiership Captain
  • Tigers the biggest hunter
« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2006, 10:38:57 AM »
1 hour and a bit to get home MT game finished just before 10 my time that's 11 in Mexico. ;D

I was watching from the HFF's for the entire game I didn't notice Petts having any problems with his hand. He was BOG for me just because he had a great game defencivley particularly in the second half.

Shulz was OK didn't play much (at all?) on Hall which was strange. If the tiges want him as a CHB I would have thought they thow him in the deep end. Bowden played on Hall was quite good.

It was our mids which won us the game Sydney got a lot less chances than us. The Ducks strait kicking kept them in it early.

Davis was good for the Swans he can really move not sure who played on him but he was on top in the first half.

Swans really do play ugly football. The bash and crash was on display in the first half. Kicking backwards move than forwards in the second. I don't know how they don't have more injuries.

Ox

« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2006, 12:46:44 PM »

Hate his guts on par with George Bush and Howard.

Why are we persisting on this soft,gutless dog.

His mind is his biggest enemy...or smallest.

Lost cause.

Cant wait to see the back of his boof head as he departs Punt road.

Fvck off u weak prik!!!!!

Tivendale = Daffy

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2006, 07:34:45 PM »
1 hour and a bit to get home MT game finished just before 10 my time that's 11 in Mexico. ;D

I was watching from the HFF's for the entire game I didn't notice Petts having any problems with his hand. He was BOG for me just because he had a great game defencivley particularly in the second half.

Shulz was OK didn't play much (at all?) on Hall which was strange. If the tiges want him as a CHB I would have thought they thow him in the deep end. Bowden played on Hall was quite good.

It was our mids which won us the game Sydney got a lot less chances than us. The Ducks strait kicking kept them in it early.

Davis was good for the Swans he can really move not sure who played on him but he was on top in the first half.

Swans really do play ugly football. The bash and crash was on display in the first half. Kicking backwards move than forwards in the second. I don't know how they don't have more injuries.

Thanks for that HT.

On Sports Tonight and on Ch 7 news they showed the head-on collison between Lids and Fosdike. Ouch!  :o. Lucky Lids had the awareness to turn to his side.

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2006, 08:59:55 PM »
I had to SMS Moi to hear the results as the Noosa Surf Life Saving Club didn't show our game.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2006, 03:12:59 AM »
X, can you ask your mate how Rainsey went please

Moi here's Wallace's comments on your boy after the Carrara game from the AFLQ site:

Richmond coach Terry Wallace had special praise for ex-Gold Coaster Andrew Raines, the son of former AFL champion Geoff Raines who was drafted by the Tigers from Southport.

“He (Raines) keeps putting his hand up … he just keeps doing the right thing to show he’s matured a lot as a footballer. He’s certainly enhanced his reputation and one of his attacks of the football in the fourth quarter was just outstanding,” said Wallace.

Raines, looking so much like his illustrious father who played for Richmond, Collingwood, Essendon and the Brisbane Bears, played mainly in defence for the Tigers but also spent time in the midfield and slotted a beautiful running goal in the final stanza.

The 19-year-old has only played seven AFL games – six last year after his debut in 2004 – but already he looks to have pencilled his name into the starting line-up for round 1 of the premiership.

http://aflq.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&aid=103961

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers pass a key test at Carrara (RFC site)
« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2006, 06:29:39 PM »
Tigers pass a key test at Carrara
4:45:35 PM Thu 16 March, 2006
Tony Greenberg
richmondfc.com.au

Richmond coach Terry Wallace was impressed with the way his charges went about their business in last Saturday night's practice match against reigning premier Sydney at Carrara.

Although stressing the fact the Swans have a poor record in recent pre-season matches (0-13 since Paul Roos took over as coach), so you shouldn't read too much into form at this time of the year, Wallace took quite a bit out of the Tigers' 40-point win.

"Notwithstanding their pre-season record, I think they (Sydney) had only about three or four of their premiership players missing . . . they had most of their blokes up and running. We had a couple missing in Ray Hall and David Rodan. The balance of the two sides that went up there was about even, so it was a pretty good effort by our boys," Wallace said.

"We were just nice and solid in the way that we played our football.

"I thought that over the whole game we held sway. We had more scoring shots than them each quarter, so it wasn't won in a 15-20-minute burst. The win came about through some pretty consistent footy.

"And, it was a fairly hard game played the way Sydney like it - tight and hard in close - and we were able to match them quite well in those areas.

"Admittedly, we're probably a little more advanced than them - by about a few weeks - but it's only two weeks to the start of the season now, so it's getting close . . ."

Wallace was particularly pleased with the team's delivery of the ball last Saturday night under the Carrara lights.

"Our use of the ball was very good. Going back to the NAB Cup opener against Hawthorn, I thought we over-used the ball something chronic. Our kick-to-handball ratio that afternoon was way out of line . . . we had nearly as many handpasses as what we had kicks. We've got the balance of that back to where we want it over the past couple of weeks," he said.

"And, our forward line play has been a lot better, too. We kicked 13 goals against Sydney, but we missed a few set shots that we shouldn't have in the first quarter when we scored 1.6.

"So, it was potentially a 16-goal game for us, against a pretty stingy opposition, who normally don't get many goals kicked against them. Overall, I thought we were pretty competent in the way that we went about it."

From an individual perspective, Wallace praised the efforts of several players . . .

"Tucky' continues to shine, while we've got our two key defenders in Kellaway and Gaspar playing some really strong, solid footy. Troy Simmonds, over the past 2-3 weeks has been outstanding in the ruck. 'Rainesy' again played a top-line game as a backman. And, 'Richo' was a standout, taking 13 marks for the game and kicking four goals. He played high centre half-forward, so he was up the ground a bit and he really got on his bike. He was very, very mobile and did a really good job for us," Wallace said.

And, as for the weekly question about Nathan Brown's progress, Wallace had this to say . . .

"Browny' continues to improve. I thought he took another step in the right direction. He had about 18 possessions, so he's just started to ramp it up a bit."

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=251328