Author Topic: Hardwick's post-game presser / Technology not good enough; use the goal umpires  (Read 963 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dimma's post-game presser:

* Summed up our year. The things that cost us during the year cost us tonight.

* Fundamentals weren't done well enough for long enough. We weren't clean enough with our execution tonight.

* Goal-line (ARC) technology isn't good enough. It's indecisive. We've got goal umpires. They are paid to do a job so let them do it. Decide what you want - goal umpires or technology. Either have better technology or don't use it. Generally it's got to be definitive but whether it was or wasn't a goal well that's your (media) call.

* Young players gain experienced from tonight and will learn from it as harsh as a lesson it is.

* Losing Prestia unbalanced our midfield. Speculating but it would've been touched and go for him to play again this year if we had won tonight.

* Dusty performed as you would've expected.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
While I agree the tech isn't nowhere good enough and worst still it's not used the same way for every game and at all grounds, if you don't miss sitters then you don't need to rely on the dodgy technology.

The rest of Dimma's response is 100% spot on. U10s rubbish cost us top 4 and now a winnable final and our season  :banghead.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dimma's full post-match presser:

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/1212577/elimination-final-hardwick-post-match

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Not good enough': Hardwick slams the ARC after review controversy

By Josh Gabelich
afl.com.au
2 September 2022

RICHMOND coach Damien Hardwick has slammed the technology used by the AFL Review Centre and says it needs to be improved after a controversial finish to Thursday night's elimination final at the Gabba.

Brisbane pulled off a stunning final-minute victory to end the Tigers' seasonin dramatic fashion, with the Lions progressing to next weekend's semi-final after Joe Daniher kicked the winner in the dying moments.

It came after Richmond key forward Tom Lynch had a goal overturned by the ARC with less than two minutes to play that would have extended the Tigers' lead to an almost unassailable nine points.

The AFL later ticked off the decision, but Hardwick said the technology used to overturn the on-field call is not reliable.

"I just feel the technology is not good enough," Hardwick said.

"It hasn't been for a long period of time. I think we've put a lot of money into it and clearly, it's indecisive still. We've got goal umpires, pick which way you want to go.

"The technology is not to the level that it needs to be, so either get it better or don't have it. I see the goal umpire make a call and generally it's got to be definitive to overturn it.

"I've used the GIF before, the common sense GIF, but I'm not bringing that back out.

"Why don't we just let the umpires make the call? They're paid to do a job, let them do a job or don't have them. To me it doesn't make any sense.

"I was pretty adamant when it first came out, but the fact of the matter is we saw a pretty good game of footy. One side has to lose, unfortunately that was us tonight."

The AFL released a statement an hour after the final siren that validated the ARC's decision.

"The arc reviewed all the camera angles and it is viewed as a definitive behind. The correct call was made," the statement read.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/832985/-not-good-enough-hardwick-slams-the-arc-after-review-controversy

Online Buddysucks

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Sooooo, the AFLs response: because we made the decision, it’s correct!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
More from Dimma's post-match presser:

Hardwick said taking Martin into the final at just 80 per cent fitness was a big call, but he was glad they opted out of also playing Jack Graham given he was also in the same category.

“The challenge was obvious with Dion going down early which hurts the balance of our midfield mix … we are fortunate if we went in with Jack Graham we’d have two players that weren’t quite to the level we needed,” he said.

Hardwick said the result summed up Richmond’s 2022 campaign that was ultimately “disappointing”. However he is bullish about 2023.

“We think we’ve got a really, really good squad of players that will forge forward. We are not looking to rebuild, we are looking to regenerate,” he said.

“We’ve got some young kids where we’ve only seen the tip of the iceberg.

“It’s a disappointing season, I’m not going to lie, I feel we are better.

“Getting beaten by what you know, really hurts. The players are hurting, our club is hurting and our fans will certainly be hurting.

“The brightest thing about Richmond is its future.”

Source: Foxsports.

Online the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Have rarely gone down this path with Hardwick but im going to ask it now. Has he gone past his use by date?