Author Topic: Brown impresses after recovering from leg break (The Age)  (Read 719 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Brown impresses after recovering from leg break (The Age)
« on: March 17, 2006, 01:20:27 AM »
Brown impresses after recovering from leg break
By Rohan Connolly
The Age
March 17, 2006

RICHMOND skipper Kane Johnson concedes he had his doubts about how star Tiger forward Nathan Brown was progressing in his comeback from a badly broken leg.

But the brilliant forward's recent training and practice-match form has convinced Johnson that the two-time All-Australian can get somewhere back near his damaging best sooner than later.

"To be honest, I reckon two months ago, I was doubting how he was going," Johnson said. "When he was training, he was a bit hobbly on it, you could just tell he wasn't quite there. But I reckon the last two weeks, he's been sensational, and he's moved really well. That's been a real positive for us.

"The last two weeks, he hasn't looked like he was hobbling, so I think that's just him starting to get over it, and probably just a bit of confidence in his own head as well. "Obviously during the week at training, it might be a bit sore, but as long as he freshens up during the week, then plays on the weekend, he's going to be fine."

Brown will play his third practice match today when the Tigers take on Essendon at Red Cliffs, near Mildura, in a game expected to draw more than 10,000 people.

Richmond is going into the game near full-strength, with big men Greg Stafford (calf), Trent Knobel (hamstring) and Ray Hall (back), plus the experienced Mark Chaffey (osteitis pubis) the only major absentees.

Brown's recent form also has surprised his coach, Terry Wallace, who previously had warned Tiger fans that their superstar might not return to his absolute best until 2007, but was heartened by Brown's form against Sydney in Carrara last week.

"All I am expecting him to do is get out there and compete at the level. I think he has done that over and above my expectations and getting through unscathed was another step in the right direction," Wallace said after the game.

The match also will be an important hitout for Tiger little man David Rodan, who missed last week's game after having his wisdom teeth removed. Rodan, who missed all of last season after injuring a knee pre-season, is another player Johnson says has looked impressive of late.

"He's a real integral part for us because we need as many small quicks as we can the way the game's going," Johnson said.

"He's had a really good pre-season, and he just needs to prove it in the first few weeks."

Essendon also has picked a strong team, with James Hird having overcoming a minor calf injury and Courtney Johns a sore shoulder received in last week's game against Hawthorn.

Last year's best-and-fairest winner Jason Johnson and Dean Solomon will make their first appearances for the Bombers for the year, Johnson having overcome a foot injury and Solomon returning from arthroscopic surgery to a knee.

Skipper Matthew Lloyd and full-back Dustin Fletcher will play after missing last week, but the Bombers will rest Scott Camporeale, Jobe Watson and Andrew Lovett.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2006/03/16/1142098601429.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Brown impresses after recovering from leg break (The Age)
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 05:12:47 PM »
Wallace on 3aw today said Browny came into the game yesterday a little bit sore. I guess we played him because there's a two week gap before round 1. 
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd