Author Topic: Jack Higgins [merged]  (Read 40137 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Jack Higgins in Uber car crash scare as he recovers from brain surgery (7news)
« Reply #240 on: November 25, 2019, 09:07:43 PM »
Jack Higgins in Uber car crash scare as he recovers from brain surgery

7NEWS
Monday, 25 November 2019 6:59 pm

Richmond fan favourite Jack Higgins has had a close call as a passenger as he recovers from brain surgery.

The 20-year-old is expected to take part in a significant pre-season program after Christmas but a car accident threatened to delay those plans.

He was travelling to Chadstone shopping centre on Thursday morning when his Uber was hit by another vehicle and rammed into a pole.

Higgins was understandably shaken but, after being checked out by doctors, he was given the all clear.

The youngster has undergone two rounds of surgery since a brain bleed – unrelated to football – was discovered following a VFL game midway through the year.

Due to his condition, he isn't allowed to drive for 12 months.

While youngsters Daniel Rioli, Sydney Stack and Marlion Pickett joined veteran defenders Alex Rance and Dylan Grimes on the track at Punt Road Oval on Monday, Higgins trained away from the club.

He's making good progress from his second round of brain surgery and hasn't been ruled out of a stunning return to senior footy in round one next year.

"Some really good news on his condition, he should be back to square one and really 100 per cent," Richmond footy boss Neil Balme said.

"It's just a matter of getting into training and getting himself going again. I'll be surprised if he's not full bore after Christmas."

https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/jack-higgins-in-uber-car-crash-scare-as-he-recovers-from-brain-surgery-c-574090

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Jack Higgins [merged]
« Reply #241 on: November 26, 2019, 10:03:12 AM »
How can he be banned from driving for 12 months due to his condition but be allowed back on a football field well before that??

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #242 on: November 26, 2019, 12:55:41 PM »
Presumably it's a liability/insurance issue. He's 'only' risking himself on the footy field and he would be covered by the AFLPA workplace agreement. It's a different story driving on public roads.

He's a lucky boy to be okay after such a crash by the way. All the best wishes to him.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #243 on: November 26, 2019, 07:49:33 PM »
 :thumbsup Glad he's doing ok

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #244 on: November 27, 2019, 05:33:07 PM »
friggen hell, what he do step on a leprachaun?
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #245 on: January 20, 2020, 02:23:48 PM »
Which players at your club could emerge as a Supercoach star in 2020

Herald-Sun
20 January 2020

Richmond - Jack Higgins $358,800, FWD

Higgins broke all kinds of records before being drafted, averaging 145 points per game in all junior matches covered by Champion Data. He received greater midfield minutes last season before suffering a brain bleed, but is back training and is confident of an early 2020 return. Another to monitor in the Marsh Community Series if he is 100 per cent.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/supercoach-news/which-player-at-your-club-could-emerge-as-a-supercoach-star-in-2020/news-story/b54fa5a42838b17c23814e8664ad0406

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #246 on: January 31, 2020, 06:36:09 PM »
Higgo interviewed by Ch7.

He said he was at risk of paralysis and even death.

Still has blurry vision but is training and hopes to play this year.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #247 on: February 01, 2020, 03:07:10 PM »
Tiger’s terrifying brain surgery warning

Jon Ralph and Chris Cavanagh
Herald Sun
1 Feb 2020

Jack Higgins was told he could be paralysed or even lose his life if dangerous brain surgery last year went wrong.

The Tigers livewire is back in contact training with Richmond wearing head gear that he will likely use during the season.

It is a giant leap forward from Higgins’ first bout of brain surgery, with another operation needed to rectify the symptoms that did not abate after he initially went under the knife.

Higgins has spoken on the club’s website for the first time about the ordeal, revealing how dangerous the operations were.

He believed he would never play football again after 33 games in two years full of exciting moments including the AFL’s goal of the year in 2018.

“I cried a bit when I heard the news, it was really disappointing and really scary when the neurosurgeon said there were a lot of risks with the surgery. I could be paralysed if he touches the wrong thing or never player footy again or even die,” Higgins said.

“I had an unbelievable neurosurgeon and they cut my head open (with a) massive scar and (I spent) two weeks in hospital.

“At the time there were some pretty bad things going through my head and thought I would never play footy again, would never walk again and have to have a carer for the rest of my life.

“So to be out there training from three months ago when I could hardly walk, hardly eat, hurt when I opened and closed my mouth, it’s pretty crazy.”

Higgins had initially suffered headaches during the 2019 season but was quickly rushed to hospital after his symptoms worsened.

“I was playing last year with headaches through matches which was a bit of a hassle but I wasn’t getting any head knocks so I didn’t think it was concussion.

“One time after a match I just felt really bad and couldn’t drive home at night and felt absolutely terrible

“I went to the club the next day and felt decent and then the next day after that got scans.”

He woke up from the MRI to find five doctors surrounding him.

“Five docs said we need to get to hospital ASAP, we need to get something out of your brain.”

Higgins battled to read or watch TV but a second bout of surgery dramatically improved his prognosis, with the young star every chance of playing against Carlton in Round 1.

“Hopefully I am doing all right. I am doing all right at training, slowly building myself back up.

“I don’t know if I will wear (the helmet) in matches, but the doctor wants me to so I probably will. But if he says no it will be the first thing that comes off.”

Teammate Kane Lambert said Higgins’ return was a boost for every Tiger.

“It’s great to have Higgo back just around the group and he’s integrating back into some contact training as well,” Lambert said.

“He’s a vibrant character and brings a lot of energy.

“You can take perspective from what he’s been through. He was a kid who had the world at his feet and unfortunately had a brain injury that was no fault of his own and his world flipped around.

“He’s got a long road ahead but we’re right behind him.”

Richmond has been buoyed by Jack Higgins return from a pair of brain surgeries, with the busy Tigers forward making strong progress on the track.

He has been in contract drills but wearing protective head gear in training this week.

Toby Nankervis is easing into training after off-season groin surgery, while Jack Graham had off-season shoulder reconstruction after a finals injury that saw him miss the Grand Final.

Midfielder Kane Lambert said yesterday the Tigers were thrilled with Higgins’ progress.

“He’s a kid who had the world at his feet and just unfortunately had a brain injury that was no fault of his own and his world flips around,” Lambert said.

“That’s great perspective.

“He’s learned a lot from the experience and he’s learnt who his close mates are, where his supports are and he’s got a long road ahead but we’re all here behind him.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/premiership-tiger-kamdyn-mcintosh-sent-in-for-scans-after-being-carried-off-on-stretcher-from-training/news-story/582aca14afe77c7b91641e500255201e

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #248 on: February 17, 2020, 06:56:37 PM »
'He looks as good as he's ever looked': Higgins builds to Tiger return

By Riley Beveridge
afl.com.au
17 February 2020

RICHMOND is growing in confidence that gun youngster Jack Higgins will put himself in the club's selection mix for round one following a miraculous recovery from brain surgery midway through last year.

Higgins has returned to contact training just months after he was diagnosed with a brain bleed, having reported blurred vision and headaches while playing for the club's VFL side last July.

There were fears for Higgins' playing future in the wake of his operation, with the club initially reluctant to put a timeframe on his expected return to action.

However, the lively and versatile Higgins was among the standouts in match simulation drills last week to firmly put himself in the frame for a return in the early stages of the upcoming season.

"It's been incredibly tough to go through what he's had to go through," Richmond coach Damien Hardwick told AFL.com.au.

"Two significant operations, his skull being ripped open, fusing blood vessels and to come back through some blurred vision and a little bit of discomfort, to see his week on the training track … it doesn't look like he's missed a beat.

"I remember speaking to Paul Connors, his manager, and saying he looks as good as he's ever looked. We're really excited about what he's going to bring this year.

Is it for round one? We're not sure. But he's doing everything right at the moment.

- Damien Hardwick on Jack Higgins

Speaking last month, the charismatic Higgins said he was warned he "could be paralysed … could never play footy again or … could die" as a result of the significant operation, which left him hospitalised for two weeks.

However, he has made a strong recovery and appears destined to make his return to the playing field in the opening weeks of the upcoming season after an impressive training block this summer.

"He's dominating match practice," Hardwick said.

"He was flying last Thursday. It's a credit to him. It was really tough for him, for our footy club and for his family. They weren't quite sure which way he'd go or whether he'd play again, but he's doing everything right. We can't wait to see him back on the field."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/374095/-he-looks-as-good-as-he-s-ever-looked-higgins-builds-to-tiger-return

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #249 on: March 17, 2020, 06:58:26 PM »
Higgo sent home with flu symptons as a precaution.

source: Mark Stevens Ch7.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #250 on: March 19, 2020, 07:26:45 PM »
Higgo's 21st birthday today  :birthday.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
'My head's stronger than anyone else's': Higgins eyes return (afl site)
« Reply #251 on: April 23, 2020, 01:53:56 AM »
'My head's stronger than anyone else's': Higgins eyes return after brain surgery

By Callum Twomey
afl.com.au
23 April 2020

RICHMOND youngster Jack Higgins has a newfound perspective on football following the brain surgery that threatened his career last year.

After bursting onto the scene in 2018, the hard-working small forward played the Tigers' first 13 games last year before experiencing headaches and blurred vision in matches in the middle of the season.

Scans showed he a brain bleed that required urgent surgery, which Higgins revealed this year was so delicate that he could have been paralysed or died if things had not gone successfully.

However, after spending two weeks recovering in hospital and being concerned he would never play football at any level again, Higgins enjoyed a strong pre-season and narrowly missed selection for a triumphant return in the Tigers' round one win over Carlton.

The 21-year-old said he was hoping to face the Blues but knew it would be difficult breaking into the reigning premiers' line-up.

"Of course it is [disappointing to have missed round one] but I'm coming off a very long run-up. I had the big setback last year and to be honest I'm just happy to be playing footy again," he told AFL.com.au.

"I'm pretty hungry. When I did miss out in round one I knew there's bigger stuff happening in the world. Obviously I want to play footy at the highest level I can.

"Sometimes you have to wait your time and I know the side is coming off a premiership so it's not going to be an easy team to break in."

Higgins' dedication to getting drafted was famous before he stepped into Punt Road, but he said last year's shock injury battle had altered his mindset. 

"I thought 'Oh I'm never playing footy again' and footy has been my whole life. But looking back on it I'm just happy that I came out of it all right. I think I've got this new approach in my head that knows other stuff is happening in the world now," he said.

"It would have been huge if I'd missed out on football, because it's my career gone in one instant. But I've definitely learned a lot of things out of it.

"I still try to work the hardest I can to be the best footballer I can. But I reckon my perspective's changed. But in the past if I'd played a bad game I would have been so down on myself now I can get over it quicker.

"I just play it week-to-week now, whereas before I was always thinking too far in the future."

Higgins will have to bide his time for his AFL comeback while in the game's shutdown period due to the coronavirus outbreak, but when he does play it will be without a helmet.

"I saw a photo and I thought it looked terrible, so I gave it the flick," he said.

"My head is very, very strong now. I've got 11 screws and plates in there, so my head's stronger than anyone else's. About six weeks after surgery I could have played again but the main worry was if I got a knock to the head but now it's really strong."

His time in the age of isolation has included training and following Richmond's fitness regime, as well as some gaming, which is a favourite pastime for Higgins.

So much so that he has joined the AFL Gamers Network, which will see stars from around the competition battle each other in the online world. The dedicated hub of AFL guns will stream their gaming online, with fans able to tune in and interact with their favourite players.

Higgins said he is looking forward to battling it out – but maybe not on FIFA.

"I love Call of Duty so I'll definitely be playing that. But I haven't played much FIFA recently and when you haven't played a lot of FIFA and you go back to it, you just get smacked. And you can't be getting smacked when it's going out for everyone to watch," he said.

"I've been playing PlayStation since I was out of the womb.

"I got the PlayStation and Xbox 4 on the day they came out and I'm going to do the same for the Xbox and PlayStation 5 when they drop later in the year. I've always loved gaming, it's awesome."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/391806/-my-head-s-stronger-than-anyone-else-s-higgins-eyes-return-after-brain-surgery

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #252 on: June 10, 2020, 12:40:03 PM »
Richmond tyro Jack Higgins will play his first AFL match this season on Thursday night against Collingwood.

There were fears the 21-year-old might never fully recover - let alone play football at the highest level again - after he underwent brain surgery last year.

But his return shapes as one of the feel-good stories of 2020 as the full-strength Tigers reboot their premiership defence at the MCG. It will be Higgins’ first game at senior level in 364 days.

‘‘It’s a great story, Jack, he’ll play his first game back since that significant injury last year,’’ Richmond coach Damien Hardwick said. ‘‘It’s a testament to the lad. His professionalism and his dedication to his craft is incredible.

‘‘One thing he’s done is gone away and improved some facets of his game that we love as well.’’

Hardwick said Higgins’ return had lifted the Tigers when they were told the news on Wednesday morning.

‘‘Any brain injury is significant and quite scary in nature and there was a chance that he might not have been able to play again,’’ Hardwick said.

‘‘But his doctors and surgeons have done a wonderful job... and Jack himself has done a wonderful job in rehab to make sure he’s given himself every chance. The smile on his face when he found out he was playing was a great highlight for our playing group.’’

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/higgins-cleared-for-afl-return-bennell-confirmed-for-demons-20200610-p5517h.html

Online tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #253 on: June 10, 2020, 08:31:52 PM »
Should he wear a helmet?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #254 on: June 11, 2020, 03:31:26 AM »
Should he wear a helmet?
Depends on the medical advice and if wearing one makes him feel more confident. It wasn't a concussion or skull structural issue, so given he has made a full recovery and the surgery fixed the problem then the advice could be he doesn't require a helmet. I don't know if that's the case but I didn't him wearing a helmet in any training pics since they've returned to full contact training.