Author Topic: Jack Higgins [merged]  (Read 44463 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Tigers set to lock in promising cub Jack Higgins (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #90 on: July 06, 2018, 03:42:17 PM »
No.17 pick of the draft, Higgins, is an exciting player to watch as the running midfielder/forward has become a fan favourite in his first year.

It is believed that he wants to commit to the club as well as Richmond’s second rounder, Noah Balta.

Balta has looked dangerous in the VFL, as the key defender has a good kick and blistering speed.

But, the players that most clubs will be looking at is Cats midfielder Tim Kelly and Tigers small forward Shai Bolton.

Bolton has been shown interest from a few clubs as he continues to show patches of brilliance in the VFL.

https://www.zerohanger.com/tigers-dockers-and-blues-youngsters-all-set-for-contract-extensions-21592/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Jack Higgins signs a contract extension until 2021
« Reply #91 on: July 13, 2018, 12:54:31 PM »
Chatty Tiger snags two more years at Punt Road

Jennifer Phelan
afl.com.au
Jul 13, 2018

RICHMOND livewire Jack Higgins is locked in as a Tiger until at least the end of 2021 after signing a contract extension this week.

AFL.com.au understands the deal was confirmed on Thursday, the same day Richmond announced the re-signing of four-time All Australian defender Alex Rance.

Higgins, 19, has played 11 games in his first season since making his AFL debut in round three against Hawthorn.

His new deal has been in the works for some time, with Higgins following the trend of draftees extending their base two-year contract in their first season.

The exciting midfielder/forward is already a fan favourite for his exuberant personality, goal celebrations and contagious energy.

And the players are also entrenched in the Higgins camp, with his famous half-time rev-ups having them in hysterics before they've broken from their huddle for the start of the third quarter.

While his speeches, according to teammate Shane Edwards, aren't consistently concise, they've become significant for the Tigers in recent weeks.

"He just gives us an extra rev-up," Edwards told AFL.com.au after their round 15 win over Sydney.

"He's done it the last few weeks. Nothing relaxes the boys and gets them up more than a 'Higgo' speech. There's a lot of mumbles and a lot of stumbles, but we love it."

They now have the opportunity to enjoy Higgins' sermons for at least another three seasons, with the No.17 draft pick joining the likes of Cam Rayner, Andrew Brayshaw, Paddy Dow, Luke Davies-Uniacke and Jaidyn Stephenson to ink extensions in their debut years.

Richmond football manager Neil Balme said Higgins had already made a big impact in the short time he'd been at Punt Road.

"Jack has made an exciting start to his football career and is settling into the club very well for a young man," Balme said.

"We're looking forward to him continuing his development both on and off the field, he's a great talent and addition to our club."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-07-13/chatty-tiger-snags-two-more-years-at-punt-road

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond wary of protecting Jack Higgins from media exploitation (SEN)
« Reply #92 on: July 13, 2018, 01:01:54 PM »
Richmond wary of protecting Jack Higgins from media exploitation

By Alex Zaia
SEN
13 July 2018

Richmond footy boss Neil Balme says the club are wary of the media potentially taking advantage of young small forward Jack Higgins.

Higgins has been a breath of fresh air in his debut season for both the Tigers and the AFL fraternity with his entertaining interviews and his general youthful exuberance.

The 19-year-old inked a two-year contract extension after an energetic start to his Richmond career, and while the club wants the teenager to continue to be himself, Balme is cautious of not exploiting Higgins to too many media commitments.

“A couple of his teammates keep saying: ‘are you ok with this? Be careful of what you do’. That’s the best control you can have,” Balme told SEN Mornings.

“We have to protect him because he’s such an easy mark for TV and radio because they think: ‘oh this bloke will say something’.

“Which is fine, but we just have to control it a little bit so he’s not seen to be as soon as we want someone to say something stupid we’ll go and talk to him. We have to be a little bit careful of that.

“He’s bright enough to work that out. He’s happy to be seen that way, but we do protect him a little bit.

“Everyone kind of knows him, so immediately we worry about that and how do we protect him. He really does bring another dimension. He’s a terrific kid; really enthusiastic and wears his heart on his sleeve."

Balme revealed the club delayed the announcment of Higgins' re-signing, as he was recieivng a lot of media attention at the time.

“We’re really pleased that he’s re-signed," he said.

"He signed a little while ago, but we didn’t make it a big thing because he was getting so much press.

“We’re really pleased to have him.”

Last season’s Morris Medallist has played 11 games, booting eight goals, and recorded a career high 25 disposals in last week’s win over Adelaide.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/07/13/richmond-wary-of-protecting-higgins-from-media-exploitation/

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
Beautifully said from Balme we have such maestro in charge.

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
He's the 'I didn't do it' boy

Don't you want to ask about my game?

No, just say snags.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
I can see him getting caught with foot in mouth disease on a Mic one day. Sometimes better to say too little.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Jack Higgins [merged]
« Reply #96 on: July 18, 2018, 02:12:36 PM »
Higgins’ progress pleases Tigers

richmondfc.com.au
18 July 2018

The impressive development of talented, young Richmond midfielder/small forward Jack Higgins in his 2018 debut season of AFL football comes as no surprise to the Tigers’ recruiting manager Matt Clarke.

Higgins, who was Richmond’s first pick (No. 17 overall) in last year’s national draft, has played 12 senior games, is averaging 15.5 disposals and ranks second among the competition’s Rising Star contenders for goal assists, third for score involvements per match, fourth for contested possessions per match and fourth for tackles inside 50.

“We always expected that he’d play this year, whether that was really early or late in the season,” Clarke told AFL.com.au’s ‘Road to the Draft’ podcast.

“Jack is a pretty focused individual on his footy, so he was always going to come in and work really hard.

“What Jack had was his running power.

“It was already there, so he’s been able to come in and show a lot of our guys and our coaches, wow, this kid can really run . . .

“So, if he’s not touching the footy, he’s still actually having an impact due to his running ability.

“He’s gone through the centre bounce a number of times as well.

“Our coaches are more than happy for him to go in there because he’s actually got quick reaction with his hands.

“He can actually get out of the stoppage, too, when we win it, and close out defensively.”

While other AFL clubs pre-draft may have questioned whether Higgins had already reached the ceiling of what he could produce on-field, and had concerns over his lack of size, the Richmond recruiters saw significant upside in him.

“We thought, having watched him a number of times from (under) 16s level all the way through, and heard about all the other competitions he’d played at junior level, he’d done the same thing at every level,” Clarke said.

“We thought his athletic ability and his running power was always going to give him a chance to play (AFL football) and play early.

“So we weren’t so worried about his shape, or what he’d been able to do and not be able to translate to AFL level.

“We thought he had the skills set.

“He’s just been desperate to play AFL footy. And he’s shown that through all his work and all those little things that he needed to do and people had suggested to him that he had to do . . . He went and did it.”

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2018-07-18/higgins-progress-pleases-tigers

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Jack Higgins is the Rising Star nominee this week
« Reply #97 on: July 23, 2018, 08:03:05 PM »
Just announced now on Talking Footy. Well done Higgo! :thumbsup.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
Re: Jack Higgins is the Rising Star nominee this week
« Reply #98 on: July 23, 2018, 08:20:34 PM »
Gotta love this kid.

:cheers
Yeah we're already going to vote for him mate, you don't need to keep selling it.....

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #99 on: July 23, 2018, 08:32:06 PM »
Deserves the nom. Looks like a really solid pick, considering we had last crack at the draft last year. Seems to improve every week. Keep goin Jacky boy!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #100 on: July 23, 2018, 10:40:17 PM »
Jack Higgins is the Round 18 Rising Star and Dimma absolutely loves how he's tracking. 🔥 #TalkingFooty

VIDEO: https://twitter.com/7AFL/status/1021335549859192832

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #101 on: July 23, 2018, 11:31:35 PM »
Why Gaz owes R18 Rising Star a handshake

Marc McGowan
afl.com.au
Jul 23, 2018 8:00PM

GARY Ablett, you owe Jack Higgins a handshake.

Richmond's first-year sensation – owing as much to his refreshingly raw persona as his football – pinpoints one moment in his rookie season when reality sunk in.

Higgins, the round 18 NAB AFL Rising Star nominee, was playing his ninth match for the Tigers against Ablett's Geelong and they were running alongside each other on the wing.

The 19-year-old picks up the story.

"The ball was down the other end and I did a double-take and was like, 'S---, I'm playing on Gary Ablett, he's a Brownlow medallist, I loved this bloke when I was a kid'," Higgins told AFL.com.au.

"You know how everyone shakes hands after the game?

"I really wanted to shake his hand and was going to make a special effort to shake his hand, but he already went off by then, so I was a bit cut (annoyed) – but it's all good."

And that's Higgins in a nutshell, complete with the infectious laugh that rounds out most of his sentences.

He's the wide-eyed kid who wanted nothing but to play AFL football and now finds himself part of the reigning premiers' midfield after a brief apprenticeship up forward.

Higgins acknowledges his media training and takes some of it on board, but prefers to offer a healthy dose of the real Jack.

He let out a hearty laugh when, at one stage in this interview, after being asked about the prospect of becoming a premiership player, he suggested they were "taking it one week at a time".

At the same time, Higgins cringes hearing himself speak on the radio or TV – to the point he walks into another room – and avoids watching his matches other than with his coaches.

His semi-regular half- and three-quarter time speeches to teammates have already become the stuff of legends, sealed once cameras caught Dustin Martin walking away in fits of laughter one night.

"I just squirt out words really fast," Higgins said.

"It's a little bit of a joke, but in a way it's not. Like, I wouldn't find it funny if someone just came up to me in the street (and said what I say).

"But because I say it really fast and probably a bit of my character, they find it funny.

Behind Higgins' one-liners and free spirit is a seriously talented footballer hellbent on becoming an on-field star.

He slotted eight goals in his first four games, won a career-high 25 disposals against Adelaide a fortnight ago then backed up with 18 more in Richmond's 54-point thumping of St Kilda on Friday night.

Higgins also had 10 contested possessions, nine score involvements, four clearances and four tackles in a stuff-the-stat-sheet performance.

The next step, he says, is taking on more responsibility with his decision-making on the ground. In other words, kicking the goal instead of dishing a pass off.

Collingwood awaits on Saturday in a contest set to draw more than 90,000 fans.

"I'm loving playing for Richmond and playing at the MCG each week. It's a dream come true, especially playing for one of the biggest clubs in Australia," he said.

"When you dream of it as a kid, you don't think of an empty MCG – you think of it packed and you're playing in a Grand Final or playing on a big occasion, which it is this weekend.

"I pinch myself when I'm playing out there – I wouldn't have my life any other way."

Speaking of life, just how much has it changed, Jack?

"It's definitely changed. It's changed heaps," he said, drowning in laughter.

"I've always loved walking around Chadstone and going to the shops, but people give you that weird look now. I'm being watched.

"Twelve months ago, I was just a kid playing for Oakleigh Chargers playing my role and now it's all a bit different, but I like that sort of stuff. Don't get me wrong, I like it."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-07-23/why-gaz-owes-r18-rising-star-higgins-a-handshake

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
‘Life couldn’t get any better’ for Round 18 Rising Star nominee Jack Higgins

SAM LANDSBERGER,
Herald Sun
July 24, 2018

RICHMOND fan favourite Jack Higgins said last night that “life couldn’t get any better” as the Round 18 Rising Star prepares to line up against Collingwood in Saturday’s top-four blockbuster at the MCG.

Higgins, 19, became the Tigers’ fourth small forward to earn a Rising Star nomination in the past two years, after premiership players Daniel Rioli, Dan Butler and Jason Castagna.

Superstar Jack Riewoldt announced Higgins’ recognition at yesterday’s game review of Friday night’s 54-point win against St Kilda.

“I thought (Riewoldt) was going to say something about Maddie’s Match, like how much they raised, and then he’s like, ‘Oh, we’ve got a new Rising Star — well done, Higgo’,” Higgins said.

“They wanted me to make a speech but I didn’t make a speech, I sat down quickly. I don’t like doing speeches.

“I can’t believe it, I’m playing AFL for Richmond. It’s so surreal and my life couldn’t be any better at the moment.

“Playing in front of 90,000 people on a Saturday afternoon, I don’t think life gets much better. I’m so excited for it — can’t wait. I am loving it.”

Higgins booted 1.1 from 18 disposals against the Saints after he was drafted at pick No.17 last year.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/life-couldnt-get-any-better-for-round-18-rising-star-nominee-jack-higgins/news-story/7b32a09966eb789b68bba624f97b51c9?nk=9b4b5e5508885fb9f24d2d060720769a-1532392698

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #103 on: July 24, 2018, 01:17:20 PM »
Hawthorn tears....

https://twitter.com/HawthornFC/status/1021529165957279744

....official tears no less..... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #104 on: July 24, 2018, 01:47:22 PM »
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do