Author Topic: Noah Balta [merged]  (Read 115060 times)

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Pick 25: Noah Balta
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2017, 11:33:35 PM »
Yessssss fine eyes  :clapping :shh
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2017, 02:32:15 AM »
Noah Balta joins reigning AFL premier Richmond with pick 25 in AFL National Draft

Tim Michell,
Moonee Valley Leader
25 November 2017

ATHLETIC Richmond recruit Noah Balta has been hailed as a player capable of “being anything” after being snapped up with selection 25 in Friday’s AFL draft.

The versatile 18-year-old, who featured in defence for Vic Metro but has played as a ruckman and key forward in the TAC Cup, was chosen by the Tigers with their third pick.

The Essendon Doutta Stars junior had been considered a draft enigma, tipped by some to be selected in the first round but by other pundits to fall as far as the third round.

Cannons talent manager Ian Kyte said Richmond had landed a player with tremendous upside.

“He could be anything if he learns and they harness all that ability that he has got,” Kyte said.

Kyte said he expected Balta to flourish learning from the likes of Alex Rance and David Astbury.

“He will have a good mentor down there if he plays down back,” he said.

“I am sure they will teach him a lot of stuff.

“I think he will start there. They will teach him a lot about the game and from there, we will see how he goes.”

The Tigers have tipped Balta would be well-suited to the game style which propelled them to a drought-breaking premiership this year.

At 195cm, Richmond fans might question how Balta would potentially slot into a line-up which built its success on speed and intense forward pressure.

Balta was touted as one of the top athletes in the draft, with his explosive speed, prodigious leap and marking ability catching the eye of recruiters.

Potentially a successor for Jack Riewoldt in attack or capable of complementing Rance, Dylan Grimes and Astbury in defence, Balta is likely to develop in Richmond’s VFL team next year.

“I reckon it’s a great pick up from Richmond,” former Calder coach Andrew Johnston said.

“His versatility, he can play down back and up forward, and he has some special attributes.

“It’s a really good opportunity for him.”

Kyte also suggested Balta would be capable of playing as a big-bodied midfielder in the mould of Carlton’s Patrick Cripps earlier this year.

Balta will be the 13th Cannon to wear the yellow and black jumper, following in the footsteps of players such as David Rodan, Matthew White and Ivan Maric.

“That’s the exciting thing about him, he has just got so much more to learn,” Johnston said.

“His athletic ability, to (be able to) sit on guys heads and kick goals from 70m out, his sprint, his agility. He can do some miraculous things.

“He has just got to get a little bit more consistent in it, that’s all.”

Balta, who is best friends with No. 1 pick Cam Rayner, will be joined at Punt Rd by former Calder players Dion Prestia, Callum Moore and Brandon Ellis.

He was the only Calder Cannons player drafted on Friday, with his teammates Mitch Podhajski, Brad Bernacki, Dylan Landt, Aidan Tilley and Jake Riccardi to pin their hopes on the rookie draft.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/localfooty/noah-balta-joins-reigning-afl-premier-richmond-with-pick-25-in-afl-national-draft/news-story/e2e1cd172f217bc4539d226741ad4575

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2017, 02:33:40 AM »
Balta selected by Richmond

]i]Star Weekly
November 24, 2017 9:40 pm
by Tara Murray[/i]

Noah Balta was the sole Calder Cannons player to be selected in the AFL National Draft on Friday night.

Seen as one of the x-factors in the draft, Balta was taken by Richmond at pick 25, the Tigers third pick.

Balta, who sees himself as a key defender, can also play in the ruck and up forward.

He was part of the Vic Metro team at the under-18 championships and was named in the TAC Cup team of the year.

Cannons’ region manager Ian Kyte said they were thrilled for Balta to get selected.

Many people compare Balta’s game to that of star Tigers defender Alex Rance.

“It’ll be a big job for him going to Richmond,” Kyte said.

“It’s a pretty exciting time for the family and I think they’ll be happy that he’s staying in Melbourne. That’s always a bonus.

“He’ll have a good role model [in Alex].”

http://www.starweekly.com.au/sports/noah-balta-is-the-sole-calder-cannons-player-to-be-selected-in-the-afl-national-draft-on-friday-night-seen-as-one-of-the-x-factors-in-the-draft-balta-was-taken-by-richmond-at-pick-balta-who-se/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2017, 04:51:36 PM »
More VIDEOS:

Draft Pick 25, Noah Balta: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2017-11-24/rolandweeks7

Noah Balta from the centre circle to bring us level yesterday!:
https://twitter.com/CalderCannonsFC/status/893956713761525761/video/1

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2017, 10:25:41 PM »
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2017, 05:04:23 AM »
Some pre-draft articles on Balta:

Calder Cannons AFL draft prospect Noah Balta sees future in defence

Tim Michell,
Moonee Valley Leader

DRAFT enigma Noah Balta believes his best position will be as a key defender should he make the jump to the elite level.

At 194cm and 92kg, Balta started the TAC Cup season as a key forward, was used in a defensive post during the Under-18 National Championships and also spent time in the ruck.

Noah Balta grabs a mark for Calder Cannons. Picture:Andy Brownbill

While his versatility is an appealing trait, it has left AFL clubs pondering where the potential first-round selection would be best suited.

“I feel career-wise backline will be the way,” Balta said.

“A lot of clubs have been telling me that is where they prefer me to play.

“I have played forward and ruck the majority of my life.

“But all I am doing is playing my role in the backline and it seems like it is going all right.”

Calder Cannons talent manager Ian Kyte believes Balta could even emerge as a big-bodied midfielder in the mould of Carlton’s Patrick Cripps.

The Essendon Doutta Stars junior said he would be capable of continuing his role as a swingman at AFL level.

“Especially if a club needs a forward or the forward is out injured, (they can) throw me down there,” he said.

“That’s no problem.”

Renowned for his marking ability and acceleration, Balta featured in three matches at the Under-18 carnival for Vic Metro. Balta, who turns 18 on Monday, produced one of the individual games of the TAC Cup season in Calder’s Round 13 victory over Murray Bushrangers.

He filled the stats sheet with 31 disposals, seven marks and laid three tackles, spearheading an upset nine-point win at Deakin’s Shepparton Reserve.

“Those days I really know my potential, my future ability and what I am capable of,” he said.

Balta recorded impressive results at the AFL draft combine earlier this month, showcasing his natural athletic ability.

He was equal seventh in the standing vertical leap at 74cm, seventh in the running vertical jump at 89cm and second fastest of the tall defenders in the 20m sprint with a reading of 3.05 secs.

The AFL academy graduate rated his season “average” but declared there was “plenty more to come” ahead of next month’s national draft.

“It was a dream that is slowly coming true,” he said.

“All you can do is wait after (the combine), it all becomes a waiting game. I know I have tried my best and I am just hoping it keeps going.”

Kyte expects Balta to be snapped up in the first round of the draft, which will be held on November 24.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/localfooty/calder-cannons-afl-draft-prospect-noah-balta-sees-future-in-defence/news-story/2c014f940eb6a88c74be93fd228733f0

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2017, 05:07:39 AM »
Here's the article where he says he doesn't watch footy.

-------------------------------------------

noah-balta-among-this-years-most-versatile-players-after-training-with-john-barnes

October 26, 2017
Riley Beveridge
FOX SPORTS

NOAH Balta is fortunate for his uncle’s connections.

On the eve of the 2015 season, the Calder Cannons youngster, then just 16 years of age, was in need of some footy guidance.

And his uncle had the man — his mate, John Barnes.

The Essendon premiership player took his calls, gave him invaluable advice and taught him the craft of being a big-bodied player thrust into a range of roles on the footy field.

He provided Balta with the biggest influence on his footy journey so far. And he helped the talented teenager announce himself with a breakout campaign in his draft year.

“He came and had a kick with me one time at the park,” Balta tells foxfooty.com.au.

“If I give him a buzz, he’s always there for me. He talks to me when I need a chat, he has a kick when I need a kick. He works on my skills and helps me slowly improve them day by day.”

Stats courtesy of Champion Data.Source: FOX SPORTS

Barnes knew a thing or two about being an undersized ruckman. At just 193cm, he spent the majority of his 202-game career at Essendon and Geelong competing with giants.

Balta, a key forward throughout his junior career, was keen to follow in his footsteps.

Having been trialled down back with both the Cannons and with Vic Metro, Balta wanted to add more strings to his bow. It was in the air where he would next try his hand.

A role mixing a key-position spot at either end of the field with periods pinch-hitting in the ruck was designed for Balta. And he flourished.

The 194cm teenager ended the TAC Cup season averaging 15 disposals and 11 hit-outs per match, complementing multiple goals in four of his last eight games.

“Barnesy helps me with my ruck work as well,” Balta says.

“We just did a bit of ruck work together. Plus my cousin, who is my age, is 210cm. He’s going to Hawaii for basketball. We’d all do a bit of ruck work with Barnesy.

“He told me as a smaller ruck, I should be able to beat all of these talls. I just got used to it.”

Balta prefers playing in the forward line.

As a genuine key forward, he’s able to use his speed to gain space on his opponent on the lead and his size to become a strong marking threat in the air.

That led to 18 goals from just eight games in his bottom-age season with the Cannons.

However, throughout his draft year, he’s been pushed more and more into a defensive role.

He was among the most promising key defenders during the national championships, narrowly missing out on All-Australian selection having played in a variety of lockdown roles.

Promisingly, he also put his speed into effect from half back, quickly closing down opponents and then bursting forward with an improving ability to move the ball in transition.

Such versatility resulted in Balta being the only player in the TAC Cup to rank in the top 70 in key indicators for all three positions — intercept marks, hit-outs and goals — according to Champion Data.

A TAC Cup clash against the Bushrangers in July, his best performance of the year, yielded 31 disposals, 17 contested possessions, 14 score involvements and seven marks in a role combining defensive and ruck work.

It was confirmation he could make the switch to whatever position he was needed in.

“I feel I can adjust to being a defender,” Balta says.

“But because I’ve played forward my whole life, it comes a bit more naturally to me.”

Balta spent most of the national championships in defence.Source: Getty Images

Just don’t ask young Balta to spend his spare afternoons watching footy.

Perhaps a bigger fan of the round ball code as he is to the oval shaped variety, Balta isn’t the self-confessed footy nut many within this draft crop express themselves to be.

“It’s not that I don’t enjoy footy, I can watch it, I just prefer not to,” Balta says.

“If I have to do reviews of my own game, I can watch that stuff. I just prefer doing other things.”

But that hasn’t turned recruiters off.

Once looked at as an early second-round prospect, Balta is bolting up the order. Some even believe he could even push the top-10 come November’s national draft.

“It would mean the world,” Balta says.

“It would be a dream come true. I’d be speechless. You can’t describe what it would be like.

“Just the other day, I was signing 300 cards of myself. I thought ‘gee, it’s actually becoming a reality’. Things like that gives you confidence.”

NOAH BALTA

Clubs: Calder/Vic Metro

Position: Key Forward/Key Defender

Size: 194cm, 92kg

Draft Range: 15-25

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-draft-2017-noah-balta-among-this-years-most-versatile-players-after-training-with-john-barnes/news-story/8244b8ce15de9ae592644596bf98e777

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2017, 05:10:00 AM »
Backwards move sets up draft Balta

afl.com.au
30 October 2017

EVERY draft has a bolter – a prospect who comes from nowhere to be selected in the early rounds.

But the story of one of year's outsiders has a twist, as he's gone from being a key forward prospect to one of the talent pool's best key defenders – and his name is Balta. Noah Balta.

The Calder Cannons product with Croatian heritage played in attack right throughout junior football, but now he's likely to be selected in the first round of the NAB AFL Draft on the form he's shown down back.

"The clubs view me as a backman, they say backman straight away," Balta told AFL.com.au.

"I've played forward and ruck for most of my junior career, but I've enjoyed my time down back."

While he was good enough to earn a spot in the AFL Academy on the back of his work in attack, Vic Metro coach Marty Allison tried the 18-year-old down back during the U18 championships with promising results.

Renowned for his dash and athleticism, Balta ran with the idea.

"Marty told me he likes to put his best attacking players in defence, and his best defensive players in the forward line, so it's worked out well for me," he said.

"Then I started to play more in defence with the Cannons later in the season, and I learnt more about positioning and the players I was playing on.

"The recruiters can now see that I'm coachable, and wherever play on the ground, I'll give 100 per cent."

AFL national talent football manager Michael Ablett says the 194cm Balta has an exciting mix of athleticism and upside that will have him firmly on recruiters' radars.

At the National Combine, an impressive time of 8.38 in the agility testing was followed up by strong result of 6.50 in the 2km time trial.

"He's got great versatility in that he can play both ends of the ground, where his athleticism allows him to play on both talls and smalls," Ablett said.

"He's got some work to do on his decision making when he does counter attack, because he sometimes bites off more than he chew.

"He's not a big watcher of footy and doesn't study the game, so that's another area of the game he needs to improve.

"But the pleasing thing from athletic perspective there is plenty to work with."

With the draft quickly approaching, Balta says he's left little in the tank in his efforts to be selected on November 24 in Sydney, and is taking a philosophical approach to achieving his dream.

"I've got a mix of excitement and nerves ahead of the draft, but you've got to take life as it comes," he said.

"If I'm not good enough, I'm not good enough, because I know I've given it my best."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-30/backwards-move-sets-up-draft-balta

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2017, 04:19:55 AM »
Noah Balta becomes a Tiger

Star Weekly
28 November 2017

Reality is yet to set in for Calder Cannons’ Noah Balta, who is now a Richmond footballer after being selected by the reigning AFL premier in Friday night’s AFL national draft.

One of the X-factors in the draft with his ability to play multiple positions, Balta didn’t have to wait long to hear his name called out.

The Tigers used their third selection, pick 25 to select him.

“It’s crazy,” Balta said on Sunday.

“I had the family over and it was pretty good to have everyone over.

“A few interstate clubs had some picks around that stage and I was a bit shakey. Richmond called my name out and I chucked my arms in the air.”

Balta knew the Tigers were interested, having spoken with them a couple of times, but his selection still came as a shock.

“I was getting text messages from all the players saying welcome to Tigerland,” he said.

“They’ve been really welcoming already.

“I don’t know if I’ll get a game straight away, but they’ll know when I’m ready.”

Among Balta’s new teammates is Alex Rance, a man many people compare Balta’s game to.

Balta sees himself as a defender, but has shown he can play in the ruck and up forward.

“Alex’s work rate is one of his best traits,” Balta said. “That’s something you can learn. I’ll look to be competitive at training with him. If I go forward, there’s Jack [Riewoldt], who is another good person to learn off.”

Balta said playing football had been his dream ever since he picked up the ball.

“I played soccer when I was seven and eight,” he said. “I then played football and won a premiership, was best on ground in the grand final and second in the league best and fairest.

“I was only middle of the table with soccer, so I stuck with football.”

Balta is the latest Cannons player to be drafted to the Tigers in recent years. Ivan Maric, who this year retired from AFL, is one former Cannon that Balta has got to know in recent years.

Cannons’ region manager Ian Kyte said the club was thrilled for Balta.

Balta was the only Cannons player who was expected to be selected in the national draft.

Kyte said the club had been hopeful that Mitchell Podhajski would be a late pick, but that didn’t eventuate.

He said they still believed Podhajski was a good chance to be picked in the rookie draft, which was held on Monday.

http://www.starweekly.com.au/sports/noah-balta-becomes-a-tiger/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2017, 02:52:30 AM »
VIDEO: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2017-11-30/meet-the-new-versatile-tall-tiger

What he can provide on-field

“Excitement . . . a lot of X-factor. That’s what I get told a lot, so I’m going to say that.”

Playing attributes

“Probably marking . . . love a good mark.”

His pre-season training group

“I got told the forward line. So I’m just working on that because my whole last season other clubs wanted me to play in the backline. At all the (Richmond player) meetings, they’ve been saying I’m in the forward line.”

Football role model as a youngster

“Usually Glenn Archer, because of how he went about it . . . he gave it 100 percent. I watched him growing up and once he retired I then stopped watching footy and concentrated on my own thing.”

Familiar faces at Richmond

“It’s good to know a couple of people and have them come in with me . . . CJ (Callum-Jones), Jack Higgins, Patrick Naish. I played with Patrick and Jack at Vic Metro. I’ve done that from under 16s to the try-outs going up. I’ve known them since then. And CJ was through the (AFL) Academy.”

Early stages of his Tigerland journey

“It’s very exciting. The first day I was all rapt to get out on the track . . . We ended up going out, but just watched everyone else train. It was a bit of a letdown, but I’m sure there’s a lot of training to come.”

Goals for 2018

“Maybe just get some experience from the boys that are playing – Jack Riewoldt, Alex Rance – people that play similar positions to me and size and shape. I’m just learning the positives in their games and taking it into my own game.”

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2017-11-30/noah-balta-in-focus

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Noah is just a natural talent that could be anything and could do anything,” Calder Cannons talent manager Ian Kyte told ‘The Leader’ newspaper.

“He could play in any position on the ground at AFL level . . .

“He could even turn into a big-bodied midfielder along the lines of Patrick Cripps at Carlton.

“I had recruiters say to me (before the draft) ‘he could pinch-hit in the ruck at AFL level, but we are not going to draft him as a ruckman’.

“But you could throw him in there on occasion if you had to.

“As time goes by, and he becomes accustomed to an AFL environment, he’s going to be a very good player.”

Kyte rates Balta’s explosive pace, marking ability, kicking skills and competitiveness as his major on-field strengths.

Former Calder Cannons coach Andrew Johnston also believes Balta has an extremely high ceiling in terms of, potentially, what he can achieve at the game’s highest level.

“I reckon it’s a great pick-up from Richmond,” Johnston said.

“He’s versatile . . . and he has some special attributes.

“The exciting thing about him is he has just got so much more to learn.

“His athletic ability, to (be able to) sit on guys’ heads and kick goals from 70 metres out, his sprint, his agility . . . he can do some miraculous things.

“He has just got to get a little bit more consistent in it, that’s all.”

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2017-11-30/balta-a-bright-light

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2017, 07:26:34 AM »
Good luck Noah, looks very Rance like, looks like he will be a real Bolter :snidegrin

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond draftee Noah Balta relishing chance to learn from Tigers’ premiership heroes

Tim Michell,
Moonee Valley Leader
January 23, 2018

NOAH Balta knew some of the questions were coming.

There was the obvious — how has your first pre-season been? Or what’s life as an AFL footballer like?

But the most common question from friends and family since he was drafted to Richmond has been about Brownlow medallist Dustin Martin.

“The question I probably get asked most … are you training with Dustin Martin?” Balta said.

The Essendon Doutta Stars junior landed at Punt Road Oval with the Tigers’ third selection in last year’s AFL national draft, No. 25, joining a club still on a high after its drought-breaking premiership triumph.

The Calder Cannons graduate has spent his first pre-season learning from the likes of All-Australian defender Alex Rance, whose career he hopes to emulate.

“He’s a lot bigger than me, but that’s my potential,” Balta said.

“I am trying to take attributes of his game and take it into mine. I have been watching him at training and he’s always giving me feedback.”

The 18-year-old said he has relished learning from experienced players such as skipper Trent Cotchin and forward Jack Riewoldt, who continue to strive for high standards after last year’s success.

“You pick up little stuff off them and they let you know little skill stuff that I’d be doing wrong,” he said.

“They won’t just let it float by because they are really committed to making the person next to them a better player.”

Balta, who has been given the No. 38 jumper by the Tigers, spent time in attack, defence and as a ruckman in the TAC Cup.

At 195cm, he was tipped to become a key defender when he reached the elite level, but has been training with Richmond’s forwards group.

Balta said he had experienced a “big jump” from TAC Cup to AFL and was determined to make the most of his opportunity.

“It was just always a dream,” he said.

“Now that it’s come true, I have got to try and push for the next game.

“My goal was to get drafted, now it’s on my next game.

“If I can get a game, it’d be to make a career from it. It’s always something to push forward to.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/localfooty/richmond-draftee-noah-balta-relishing-chance-to-learn-from-tigers-premiership-heroes/news-story/9aaf731ca324ddbb1e26751c5a921023

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2018, 01:58:56 PM »
Training with Rance and Riewoldt.

Excellent!

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2018, 08:46:13 PM »
Yessssss!!!!!
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2018, 06:42:56 PM »
Bright Balta

richmondfc.com.au
19 Feb 2018

When Richmond’s third pick in the 2017 AFL national draft (No. 25 overall) Noah Balta was asked in a Roar Vision interview late last year what Tiger fans could look forward to him providing on-field, he replied: “Excitement . . . a lot of X-factor. That’s what I get told a lot, so I’m going to say that”.

Well, those Yellow and Black barrackers who saw Balta strut his stuff in the Tigers’ AFLX tournament at Sydney Allianz Stadium last Saturday, would have to agree that the athletic, tall teenager possesses plenty of potential.

Across the two games, Balta took some impressive marks, showcased his mobility around the ground, and kicked an eye-catching ‘Zooper’ goal.

Afterwards, he caught up with ‘Roar Vision’ to discuss the AFLX concept and how he fared first-up in Tiger colours.

“It was different . . . it feels a bit more like a drill. It’s real high speed as well. The ball’s just flicking around everywhere. You’ve got no time to really think . . . you just think, do, straight away,” Balta told ‘Roar Vision’.

“It was good just being there. It was a bit fatiguing in the second game (v Brisbane), so I really took my time lining up for it (his Zooper goal) and tried to be a bit more composed . . .”

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2018-02-19/bright-balta