Author Topic: Liam Baker [merged]  (Read 108172 times)

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Liam Baker [merged]
« Reply #630 on: July 18, 2024, 09:37:03 PM »
He’s gone. Rumours we are emptying the lockers and loading up for the draft
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #631 on: July 18, 2024, 10:02:01 PM »
Split it with GC for 8&9.  Pick 9 for Baker.  GC get a pick in before Lombard.

Can’t they need those picks for Rioli…

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #632 on: July 18, 2024, 10:12:27 PM »
It's behind the HUN's pay wall

Trade debate: How badly do Eagles want star Tiger?

It seems premiership Tiger Liam Baker won’t be at Richmond next season, but is he locked into the Eagles? Or will their recent draft history help send him to their rivals Fremantle? SUBSCRIBE for the full story.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/subscribe/news/1/?sourceCode=HSWEB_MRE170_MG_a&dest=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.heraldsun.com.au%2Fsport%2Fafl%2Fto-split-or-not-to-split-west-coasts-big-call-in-liam-baker-chase%2Fnews-story%2Fbd1dc9514034123286cf00ea815780b2&memtype=anonymous&mode=premium&v21=ULTRALOW-Segment-2-SCORE
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #633 on: July 18, 2024, 10:28:49 PM »
How about baker and pick 34 for picks 14 and 24.

Dont think Freo would buy into that.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Founding member of the Fab 5
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #634 on: July 19, 2024, 04:57:08 AM »
I think they'd do that deal in a heartbeat, they'd make off like bandits
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #635 on: July 19, 2024, 07:16:02 AM »
How about baker and pick 34 for picks 14 and 24.

Dont think Freo would buy into that.

Need a top 10 crawski. Would rather Bakes for their Pies pick which will end up being 8. Effectively it’s Lachie Schultz for Bakes which any club would do in a heartbeat
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #636 on: July 19, 2024, 11:12:20 AM »
Form has dropped off a bit - playing like a man who’s got a lot going on inside his head .
Unleash the tornado

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #637 on: July 19, 2024, 11:42:01 AM »
maybe im too harsh on our players but no way in the world would i give up pick 8 for Baker not in this draft or any draft..
I would be reluctant to give up pick 14, thats just me.

I have often said Baker does most things well but he is not elite at anything.

Fremantle have four 30 plus year old players with the picks they have id be looking at succession planning and quality depth to keep pressure on incumbents.
They currently have picks 7,10, 14 and 24. Personally id be going something like this and not bothering with trades not with early picks anyway.

Fyfe 32YO pick 7 Smillie/Lalor or any one of about 7 mids in the top 10. Smillie and Lalor are big bulls   a like for like.
Pick 10 on the best kpp available to replace the likes of 31yo Taberner or just to build quality kpp depth.If another mid is here who you cant refuse to take take the mid and use pick 14 on a kpp.
Omeara 30yo pick 14 there will be a very good mid available hereaor kpp.
Walters 33 yo pick 24 on a small forward is usually overs but it should get you a goodun. or you take best available and wait.

They have done most of the hard yards they have a whole pile of kids with games into them they have very good structure and depth in most areas and they have plenty of experienced players i don't think they actually need Baker.

Where do they play him? Not midfield or defense they are really settled for players in those areas.
 maybe as a fwd but imo Baker has never been a good forward.

I have a feeling they are not going to be offering up top 10 picks. While they obviously would like to have him he imo is not a must have for them.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #638 on: July 19, 2024, 12:56:35 PM »
Form has dropped off a bit - playing like a man who’s got a lot going on inside his head .

Playing Ike a bloke who has checked out
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #639 on: July 19, 2024, 01:01:51 PM »
Liam Baker’s message is emphatic as a trade nears. Richmond needs fair compensation.  But should the Eagles split pick 3 or just take a future star kid with that selection? Freo waiting in the wings with a five year deal and a compelling pitch

https://x.com/RalphyHeraldSun/status/1814112359046349098

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #640 on: July 19, 2024, 04:32:46 PM »
maybe im too harsh on our players but no way in the world would i give up pick 8 for Baker not in this draft or any draft..
I would be reluctant to give up pick 14, thats just me.

I have often said Baker does most things well but he is not elite at anything.

Fremantle have four 30 plus year old players with the picks they have id be looking at succession planning and quality depth to keep pressure on incumbents.
They currently have picks 7,10, 14 and 24. Personally id be going something like this and not bothering with trades not with early picks anyway.

Fyfe 32YO pick 7 Smillie/Lalor or any one of about 7 mids in the top 10. Smillie and Lalor are big bulls   a like for like.
Pick 10 on the best kpp available to replace the likes of 31yo Taberner or just to build quality kpp depth.If another mid is here who you cant refuse to take take the mid and use pick 14 on a kpp.
Omeara 30yo pick 14 there will be a very good mid available hereaor kpp.
Walters 33 yo pick 24 on a small forward is usually overs but it should get you a goodun. or you take best available and wait.

They have done most of the hard yards they have a whole pile of kids with games into them they have very good structure and depth in most areas and they have plenty of experienced players i don't think they actually need Baker.

Where do they play him? Not midfield or defense they are really settled for players in those areas.
 maybe as a fwd but imo Baker has never been a good forward.

I have a feeling they are not going to be offering up top 10 picks. While they obviously would like to have him he imo is not a must have for them.

I agree that looking at a pick in isolation a top 10 could be considered overs for Baker.

But we have the Schulz and Saad trades as precedent and baker is a premiership player. Richmond have the leverage here to force a club to pay overs for him. Culture and leadership is underrated and especially out in the west where the temptation to go off the rails is high, a settled and mature baker amongst a younger brigade would command high currency

Online pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #641 on: July 19, 2024, 06:42:51 PM »
2 time premiership player, potential next captain and he can really play. Any club chasing him hard should be prepared to pay up. 

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #642 on: July 19, 2024, 07:02:38 PM »
Agree, if you want him to stay , why let him go unless it’s worth your while , a benefit of finishing last will force a good trade

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #643 on: July 20, 2024, 12:45:37 PM »
I think he goes to Freo with pick for their first pick. West Coast giving up another first rounder for a player would be silly when the see the Tim Kelly vs Harley Reid outcomes. They are in rebuild phase they need picks, also new coach Baker would prefer Freo surely, and Freo are in window, West Coast is not. Going to West Coast is a retirement package, stay at Richmond or Freo. A lot will lie in his WA upbringing and what he thinks of Freo, WA love WCE and Freo are the ugly duckling.

We won't accept anything outside first round for Baker, with a package or not. I can't see us giving a 2nd and Baker for a first. With Pick 1 pre season draft we hold a lot of cards.
Go Tigers!

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #644 on: July 20, 2024, 04:43:30 PM »
2 time premiership player, potential next captain and he can really play. Any club chasing him hard should be prepared to pay up.

Read this post crawski. There are 100 examples of players who are seemingly not worth a top 10 pick that go for a top 10 pick