Author Topic: Richmond and Saving the Tiger  (Read 310 times)

Offline Rampsation

• Future Richmond star
  • For We're From Tigerland
Richmond and Saving the Tiger
« on: December 13, 2017, 02:13:20 PM »
I read on the internet the club has been contacted by the World Wildfund Fund about doing something together to help
save the worlds Tigers. I would support this initiative. From a personal perspective I would be happy for the club to include
a separate category on the membership form for members to donate say $10 a year to the WWF for this cause.
If we had 85,000 members at 10 bucks a pop, that would mean Richmond donated $850,000 a year to this fantastic cause.
I don't know how the WWF would use those funds, but as long as the outcomes were measurable from our perspective I
reckon it would be a terrific thing to do.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Richmond and Saving the Tiger
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 02:20:58 PM »
CAN RICHMOND SAVE THE TIGER?

IS there nothing that Richmond can’t do?

After pulling off the most amazing premiership win with Dustin Martin dominating everything, they’re now being asked to take on an even tougher task.

Richmond has been contacted by the World Wildlife Fund to try and help save the tiger.

This is how far Peggy O’Neal’s club has come with the president even asked about the ‘Save-the-Tiger’ campaign at Monday night’s AGM.

It turns out that unlike the AFL team, the tiger is in serious threat of disappearing.

There were once nine subspecies who ruled the jungle, three are now extinct with the remaining six all endangered.

The AFL Tigers are in discussions with the WWF about a relationship moving forward with the club likely to help with raising awareness of the plight of the tiger.

Source: Herald-Sun website

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 02:25:21 PM »
I read on the internet the club has been contacted by the World Wildfund Fund about doing something together to help
save the worlds Tigers. I would support this initiative. From a personal perspective I would be happy for the club to include
a separate category on the membership form for members to donate say $10 a year to the WWF for this cause.
If we had 85,000 members at 10 bucks a pop, that would mean Richmond donated $850,000 a year to this fantastic cause.
I don't know how the WWF would use those funds, but as long as the outcomes were measurable from our perspective I
reckon it would be a terrific thing to do.

I started donating to WWF and the Tiger cause in particular several years ago, get regular updates and it is making a difference.
It really is disgusting what we do as humans

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 02:52:51 PM »
Just about population growth in certain places - They have Cameras in the forests etc and track movement - How a lot of money is going to Rangers as poachers are a massive problem.
They have been observing growth in particular species, creating more national parkland and education. There is a lot that goes into it but the money does appear to be well spent.
What's $20 a month with the poo we waste our money on these days Try mobile phones for starters.
I can dig up some of my newsletters but Im sure you could find it online.....
Love Tigers

https://donate.wwf.org.au/campaigns/adopt-a-tiger/?t=ONLMTHAD17-18/GPA&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyLSn2IyG2AIV2wQqCh3uRwhqEAAYASAAEgKcsfD_BwE

One hundred years ago, there were 100,000 wild tigers. By 2010, as few as 3,200 wild tigers remained. This shocking population decline of about 95% was driven by rampant poaching for their body parts and habitat loss. In 2010 the most ambitious and visionary species conservation goal was set: to double the number of wild tigers by 2022 – the next Chinese year of the tiger.

The latest national tiger survey estimates that global wild tiger numbers have increased to around 3,890 today. This is the first increase in tiger conservation history, and a positive sign that efforts are working. However, threats against tigers still persist, and we urgently need to do more. By adopting a tiger you will make a real difference to the wild tiger’s chance of survival. You will be helping to protect vital habitat, step up our anti-poaching efforts and monitor tiger populations.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 06:47:50 PM »
took em long enough, maybe they could do a membership bundle with the adopt a tiger option tacked on. 
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline yandb

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 09:26:01 PM »
Some of these wildlife groups are just charity industries, started with good intentions but have morphed into fund raising groups.

People have to be careful who they donate to as some swallow much of the donations up in administration fees.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2017, 08:28:07 AM »
still better than giving it to this mob

Offline yandb

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2017, 11:00:50 AM »
Why donate to dodgy charities, if you want to donate money Richmond is a good start and they are reputable.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2017, 07:57:16 PM »
There are some gripers and accusations, but there is a charity intelligence mob that does reports on them all.  Their branch in Canada got a clean bill of health so it could be scuttlebutt.  Will suss out Oz branch.  They were pushing hard to fight the deforestation in Qld which was really bad, just got a win with that.