Author Topic: Jack Higgins aiming to learn off Martin & Cotchin over summer (H-Sun)  (Read 266 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond draftee Jack Higgins aiming to learn off Dustin Martin & Trent Cotchin over summer

Chris Cavanagh,
Herald Sun
January 2, 2018

RICHMOND draftee Jack Higgins believes he is ready to impact at AFL level next year but says his focus for now is learning as much off the club’s senior players as possible.

The Tigers’ first selection in this year’s national draft at pick 17, Higgins said it had been “unreal” to join the reining premiers and live out a boyhood dream.

“I’ve always thought there’s no other way. It was AFL footy or bust,” Higgins told the Herald Sun.

“Just getting to know all the players, you see them on TV and stuff and now you’re teammates with them so I’m over the moon.

“I’ll probably just learn off all the great players at the club — Cotch (captain Trent Cotchin), Dusty (Dustin Martin) — just watch them train and learn off them over pre-season.”

Recruited from TAC Cup club Oakleigh Chargers, Higgins had primarily been a small forward during his junior playing days but pushed into the midfield last year with great effect.

The 18-year-old finished the TAC Cup season having averaged 23 disposals and 2.3 goals to win the competition’s Morrish Medal, following in the footsteps of Melbourne’s Clayton Oliver and Brisbane’s Hugh McCluggage who were the previous two winners of the award.

The 178cm Higgins — who idolised Hawthorn champion Sam Mitchell growing up — said he saw himself playing a combination of midfield and forward at AFL level and was determined to push his case for an early debut in 2018.

“Definitely, I feel my body’s ready. But then again it’s a bit of a different story playing against men to 18 year olds,” Higgins said.

“I’ve always been pretty fit but I’m working on my agility and speed and all that for stoppages.

“It’s a long way to Round 1. Hopefully if I play some games in the pre-season I can get in good form but you never know.”

Higgins will wear No. 28 on his back next year, the number left vacant after Taylor Hunt’s delisting in October.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/richmond-draftee-jack-higgins-aiming-to-learn-off-dustin-martin-trent-cotchin-over-summer/news-story/2128d978bca70f81c5d61cb6dc4eeee4

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
Re: Jack Higgins aiming to learn off Martin & Cotchin over summer (H-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 02:42:12 PM »
Another tall :gotigers
“I can’t believe it, 1.20 to go, you’re three points up and there is nobody at the back end of the square for a quick kick in for the opposition.

“I just can’t believe my eyes.

“It’s poor leadership and it’s poor coaching from the Richmond Football Club.”

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 03:14:35 PM »
Another tall :gotigers
Will he ruck relieve like Grigg and Rioli?
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline MADTIGER2010

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 03:55:47 PM »
So we have Higgins and Graham for the next generation midfield. We'll add some more guns over the next few drafts