Author Topic: Griff has retired  (Read 8700 times)

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Griff has retired
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2018, 11:05:39 AM »
Unfortunately what I will remember most about Griffith (which was not his fault) is when he was selected along with Cronca to play in the EF final v Norf, what a debacle that was

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2018, 12:59:58 PM »
Held hope for Griff but those concussions not good. Pobably, well is a very smart move. One more could of been a disaster for him.
Good luck to him.

Online georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2018, 02:55:33 PM »
He can't be replaced with a rookie right ?.Good luck to him but gez should have retired at end of 2017 at least we could have drafted another kid or player.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2018, 06:37:43 PM »
He can't be replaced with a rookie right ?.Good luck to him but gez should have retired at end of 2017 at least we could have drafted another kid or player.

why not?

makes no sense. If true it could be a good omen. (hello yaz)

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2018, 08:09:54 PM »

why not?

What I mean can we up grade a rookie like when a long term injury occurs now cause he has retired.

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2018, 09:14:02 PM »
Why should he have done it at the end of the season?

He was intending on playing and this offer wasn't on the table

I don't blame him and wish him all the best

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2018, 09:24:19 PM »
I just hope his grid iron protective gear is of the highest quality not withstanding he shouldn't be involved in contact

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2018, 10:33:40 PM »

X2

and on face value, it is a great offer regardless of whether he makes it to the NFL.

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2018, 10:54:41 PM »
Goodbye good luck hope you don't get hit again and I hope you make it in the big league.
Should a retired a couple of concussions ago IMHO.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2018, 11:56:24 PM »

why not?

What I mean can we up grade a rookie like when a long term injury occurs now cause he has retired.

Yes we can.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2018, 09:23:48 AM »

X2

and on face value, it is a great offer regardless of whether he makes it to the NFL.

How would you feel if Dusty did the same thing to join Rugby?
The stakes are lower but the principle holds Rhys he has walked out on a contract.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2018, 09:49:46 AM »

X2

The stakes are lower but the principle holds Rhys he has walked out on a contract.

If Dusty did that I'd be amazed more than anything but I'd wish him all the best.

We don't own people just because they sign a contract to play footy with us. All that contract does is bind the player to a particular AFL club for a certain period of time at a certain rate of pay. I can't see where it precludes them from pursuing interests outside football, even if that means they no longer play football for us.

Griff has retired, the club has accepted that decision and the contract presumably is voided. The club could enforce that contract if they wanted to. We could keep him on our list to prevent him playing football with another club if we thought that served a purpose.

If the moral angle concerns you, then yes, he has technically made an agreement that he will no longer honour. But he made that agreement in good faith and at the time intended to honour it. Circumstances change, and the club has accepted that. It isn't like he is trying to get out of the contract because Collingwood or Gold Coast have offered him more money. If we were really concerned about it, we could take legal action, but we won't because what he has done isn't unreasonable.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2018, 02:04:06 PM »
they will never admit but im guessing the club is glad to see the back of him.

won a flag without him and dont need him. They probably held him due to some empathy toward his concussion.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2018, 05:23:15 PM »
Vickery gone - now Griff . They take the ghosts of finals failure with them .
Unleash the tornado

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2018, 12:10:10 AM »

X2

If Dusty did that I'd be amazed more than anything but I'd wish him all the best.

We don't own people just because they sign a contract to play footy with us. All that contract does is bind the player to a particular AFL club for a certain period of time at a certain rate of pay. I can't see where it precludes them from pursuing interests outside football, even if that means they no longer play football for us.

Griff has retired, the club has accepted that decision and the contract presumably is voided. The club could enforce that contract if they wanted to. We could keep him on our list to prevent him playing football with another club if we thought that served a purpose.

If the moral angle concerns you, then yes, he has technically made an agreement that he will no longer honour. But he made that agreement in good faith and at the time intended to honour it. Circumstances change, and the club has accepted that. It isn't like he is trying to get out of the contract because Collingwood or Gold Coast have offered him more money. If we were really concerned about it, we could take legal action, but we won't because what he has done isn't unreasonable.
I'm happy he's going, I just think that the circumstances are a reflection of character. A man's word is one thing but his signature was another ......
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.