Author Topic: Tom Lynch [merged]  (Read 408968 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Will Lynch be in trouble with the MRO?
« Reply #1665 on: October 10, 2020, 05:11:31 PM »
Charged and fined
==================/

Richmond forward Tom Lynch charged after kneeing St Kilda's Dougal Howard

Richmond forward Tom Lynch is free to play in next Friday’s AFL preliminary final but he has been charged and fined over his tussle with St Kilda’s Dougal Howard.

Lynch gave away a 50-metre penalty for throwing Howard to the ground, then appeared to drop his left knee on the defender’s neck and shoulder area in Friday night’s semi-final at Metricon Stadium.

Watch the clash in the video above

The incident was scrutinised by AFL match review officer Michael Christian on Saturday, with Lynch charged with misconduct.

As a second misconduct offence of the season, he can accept a $750 fine.

The power forward had already attracted the attention of the MRO on several occasions this year, fined once for misconduct and twice for striking in a three-week period.

He was later sent to the AFL tribunal for a striking charge against Essendon’s Michael Hurley but was ultimately cleared.

Tom Lynch clashed with Dougal Howard in Richmond's semi-final win. Credit: Getty

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick played down Lynch’s latest incident after the win over the Saints, defending the forward’s aggression after what he termed a “miniscule” indiscretion.

Tigers midfielder Kane Lambert didn’t think Lynch needed a warning from his club.

“I am not sure that conversation will happen - I think Tom’s a mature guy and he reviews his game,” Lambert told AFL Nation on Saturday.

“Jack (Riewoldt’s) done a lot of work with him over the years, he’s growing in that regard.

“We love Tom playing aggressive and I’m sure that we’ll get a similar result for him next week when he’s hopefully lining up for us - which I think will happen.”

Meanwhile, Richmond captain Trent Cotchin was not mentioned in the MRO’s report after some concern over a tackle on St Kilda’s Zak Jones.

“If your intent is just to tackle and it happens to slip high, then that is part and parcel of the game,” Cotchin told 3AW.

https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-forward-tom-lynch-learns-fate-after-kneeing-st-kildas-dougal-howard-c-1378095?fbclid=IwAR15H5pa_vnJOrp-Hbm4geR6Q-k9lwPNyYdl-iX0iVNFp65lU9-84eMKpgo
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1666 on: October 11, 2020, 02:29:41 PM »
Asked about the Tigers' much-discussed on-field disciplinary problems this season, Grimes said the derision was a "storm in a teacup".

"There's probably two incidents you're referring to [Tom Lynch's knee and Trent Cotchin's high tackle on Zak Jones]," Grimes told reporters. "Across a whole game you probably look at that every week and there's two incidents.

"I don't really think there's much to make of it other than we were playing the Richmond brand. I don't think other teams will look into that at all to be honest.

"Other teams, other games this week there was probably other things that happened but I am not sure why there has been so much made of this but we love the brand of footy that both Trent and Lynchy play, we are going to try bring that week in week out, that physical style of Richmond football.

"Having said that we like our players playing the rules and not giving away any free kicks and penalties where we can so that's a focus of ours

"I think it's a bit of a storm in a teacup in some ways."

Source: The Age

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1667 on: October 12, 2020, 02:56:49 PM »
There's a Richmond MRO conspiracy apparently :lol.

VILLAINS

ESPN
12 October 2020

Tom Lynch:

Fool us one? Shame on you. Fool us twice? Shame on us. Fool us three times? Erm... FOUR? It's official, Tom Lynch's reputation as a dirty player is growing.

In 2020 alone, we've seen four incidents which have come under close scrutiny, with the most recent being his knee into the neck/shoulder area of Saint Dougal Howard during his side's win on Friday night.

Prior to that, Lynch has found himself in hot water for shoving Richmond defender Harris Andrew's head into the turf in Round 10, his tummy tap -- which was well off the ball -- on Gold Coast's Sam Collins in Round 12, his (also off-the-ball) closed fist hit to the chops of Michael Hurley in Round 13

Lynch was charged -- bizarrely -- with misconduct and was issued a paltry $750 fine with an early plea - a laughable 'slap on the wrist' given Lynch's priors and the MRO's punishment table; was it not clearly intentional conduct, low impact and high contact? All signs pointed to a one-week suspension.

Instead of being handed any time off to think about his blatantly unsavoury actions in 2020, Lynch has escaped suspension on every single occasion. There are others in the league, St Kilda's Ben Long among them, who would look at Lynch's record with confusion, ire and, ultimately, envy.

Perhaps there is something in the 'Richmond MRO conspiracy' we joked about on last week's podcast...

https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/30087603/afl-2020-heroes-villains-semifinals-worst-finals-performance-century

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Wayne Campbell urges Tom Lynch to ‘keep up’ his behaviour (West Australian)
« Reply #1668 on: October 14, 2020, 03:28:22 AM »
Former Richmond club great Wayne Campbell urges controversial forward Tom Lynch to ‘keep up’ his behaviour

Catherine Healey
The West Australian
14 October 2020

Richmond Hall of Famer Wayne Campbell says he will happily pay a fine for Tigers big man Tom Lynch and encouraged the controversial star to keep putting his “morals to one side”.

Speaking on SEN on Tuesday, Campbell said Lynch had his full support despite being on the end of his fourth AFL fine since heading into the Queensland hub — this time for kneeing St Kilda’s Dougal Howard behind play.

“As a Richmond supporter, if Tom Lynch plays like he did last Friday this Friday and he does what he did on the field and does (the kneeing) as well, I will pay his fine. I could not care less,” he said.

“That’s what the game’s about, it’s about passion. sometimes your morals might get put to one side. Just keep doing it, son.

“He got fined ... He ain’t missing a game so us Richmond supporters will hand the hat around.”

Lynch has now coughed up more than $3000 in fines since July, after striking Suns teammates Sam Collins and Jarrod Witts, and pushing Lion Alex Witherden’s head into the Gabba turf.

He also escaped punishment for his throat push on Essendon’s Michael Hurley that saw Lynch referred directly to the tribunal.

Campbell, who played 297 games for the Tigers over his 15-year career, said criticism of Lynch was likely because footy fans were jealous of Richmond’s progression from battlers to powerhouse club.

“How much of this (debate) is ‘they’re into their fourth prelim and we’ve sort of had enough’ slash tall poppy and how much of this is real?” he questioned.

But SEN host Bob Murphy said Lynch had gone too far with his “petty” actions.

“For the first three years, we were charmed by the Tigers,” he said.

“I think they still are formidable on field, but in terms of the charm, I don’t think we are charmed by the Tigers anymore.

“What Tom Lynch did, there’s a snideness to it, it’s more cold-blooded.

“Don’t lump (the knee) in with his physical intimidation. It was just petty.”

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/former-richmond-club-great-wayne-campbell-urges-controversial-forward-tom-lynch-to-keep-up-his-behaviour-ng-b881692331z

Online georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Tom Lynch [merged]
« Reply #1669 on: October 14, 2020, 03:52:07 AM »
Bob Murphy lol go win a real flag not a medal given to you by your coach.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 08:23:16 AM by georgies31 »

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #1670 on: October 14, 2020, 08:03:55 AM »
Has Tom got an accumulation of MRP “points” against him ATM?

A lot of these past charges are mumbo jumbo IMHO.
Most times he is just giving back what he gets.

Will the MRP be out for him any minor indiscretion this week?

It would be difficult to beat Port then go on to play in the GF without him.
Tinderbox time at Ports Power fortress on Friday night. Very exciting.

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1671 on: October 14, 2020, 09:36:19 AM »
Anyone else heard about a rift between lynch and Cotchins wife?

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1672 on: October 14, 2020, 10:40:39 AM »
No

But I'm not a fan of Brooke and I doubt every player is either

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1673 on: October 14, 2020, 10:42:24 AM »
These fines are a crock of poo and just the AFL protecting it precious image of a politically correct do right organization

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #1674 on: October 14, 2020, 12:09:24 PM »
No

But I'm not a fan of Brooke and I doubt every player is either

Hub life could get quite tense. Everyone in close confines.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Online Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1675 on: October 14, 2020, 12:44:14 PM »
Anyone else heard about a rift between lynch and Cotchins wife?

No, I haven't but some tension is inevitable

Its hub life.  Players from all team are going to get frustrated with each other and their families at times.  Its a unusual and strange time.  They are also dealing with family and friends stuck in Melb that are doing it tough.

Its the strong clubs with good cultures that will be able to resolve the little issues quickly before they fester.  We are the best in the business at doing this

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1676 on: October 14, 2020, 11:55:06 PM »
Don’t mess with the best: Tigers coach’s two-word warning for Port plot to mute superstar

Tom Morris
October 15, 2020
FOX SPORTS

Damien Hardwick has issued a blunt warning to any defender thinking about standing in Tom Lynch’s space: Do so at your own peril.

The spearhead was fined for the third time this year under the Match Review Officer’s misconduct provision but avoided suspension for an incident that saw his knee make contact with Saint Dougal Howard’s head last Friday.

Hardwick defended Lynch post-game, telling reporters there was nothing in the action. He doubled down on Wednesday ahead of the club’s main training session of the week, backing the ex-Gold Coast captain to assert his physical authority on the Power and warning any defender who decides to stand in his space.

St Kilda’s Ben Paton had 12 staples and eight stitches after Lynch crunched him in a marking contest last week.

According to Hardwick, the clash was an example of Lynch paying his teammates back for an earlier 50m penalty.

“It’s just a part of his game,” Hardwick said before the Tigers trained.

“He was by far the best player on the ground on the weekend. That aggression and exertion was part of it. He was disappointed in the 50 (metre penalty), no doubt about it.

“You look at his influence after that event. He tried to pay us back which is really important. What he brings to the side is bringing the ball to the ground.

“There was a massive contest where young (Ben) Paton got his head split. That’s what Tom brings. He brings aggression and if someone wants to take his space, good luck.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-finals-2020-tom-lynch-knee-match-review-record-at-mro-port-adelaide-vs-richmond-good-luck/news-story/f7dc3a6898f6ecdefcbf0e6acd7b6d09

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
"I'll pay the fine": Wayne Campbell backs Tom Lynch (SEN)
« Reply #1677 on: October 15, 2020, 02:44:26 PM »
“I’LL PAY HIS FINE”: FORMER SKIPPER BACKS KEY TIGER TO PLAY ON THE EDGE

BY SEN 5
15 October 2020

Former Richmond captain Wayne Campbell has urged Tom Lynch to continue playing with an intimidating physical presence.

The key forward has come under scrutiny on multiple occasions this season for incidents that could have been avoided, the latest being when he knelt on Dougal Howard in last week’s Semi Final win over St Kilda.

Lynch has been the subject of criticism from most non-Richmond corners throughout the season but Campbell has backed him in, saying Tigers fans would be keen to pay any fines received for his actions as long as he keeps contributing to wins.

“I must admit I didn’t watch the game on Friday night because I had to do something else but I had a couple of mates text me about Tom Lynch and that he’s done this,” he said on SEN’s Bob and Andy.

“I woke up the next day and watched it and I was like, ‘Are you serious?’.

“I understand that there’s been a couple of other bits and pieces that he’s done during the year.

“I’ll put it this way as a Richmond supporter, if Tom Lynch plays the way he did last Friday this Friday, and he does what he did on the field and he does that as well, I’ll pay his fine.

“I could not care less as a Richmond supporter.

“That’s what the game’s about. It’s about passion and therefore your morals might get put to one side. That’s what I see when I look at Richmond. Just keep doing it son.

“If you’re going to keep intimidating like he does and like he did at the contest…”

Bob Murphy put forward his opinion on the incident, suggesting that something of this nature is not necessarily physically intimidating.

“I don’t think you can lump in the dropping the knee (stuff),” he said.

“It wasn’t that significant, it was barely a fine, but there was something about it that’s just a bit like, 'Really? Why?’

“I don’t think you lump that in with, ‘Oh, this is part of his physical intimidation’. It just looked petty.”

Campbell replied: "I do."

“Because the opposite is he would help his mate (Howard) off the ground. Now you would say it’s a middle ground, don’t help him up and don’t drop your knee into him.

“But I reckon they’re coached to be on the edge. Is that on the edge and is that going a bit far? Yes it is, because he got fined. He’s gone over the edge.

“If he misses a game, well we as Richmond supporters and Damien Hardwick are going, ‘Don’t do that’. He ain’t missing a game and that’s why us Richmond supporters will hand the hat around.”

Murphy added: “I don’t think it does intimidate."

“I don’t think it actually does anything for the Tigers."

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/10/14/ill-pay-his-fine-former-skipper-backs-key-tiger-to-play-on-the-edge/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
A mild-mannered beast: the Tom Lynch paradox (Age)
« Reply #1678 on: October 15, 2020, 05:45:38 PM »
A mild-mannered beast: the Tom Lynch paradox

By Daniel Cherny
The Age
October 15, 2020 — 2.28pm

On the night of May 7, 2011, three young men made their AFL debuts for Gold Coast in the inaugural QClash. One was No.3 draft pick Sam Day, another his namesake Joey Daye – a Queensland zone recruit. Then there was a tall but raw kid from Sorrento.

Daye would play just four matches for the Suns before being delisted at the end of 2011 and has since turned his hand to a career in music.

Gold Coast Suns draftees (L-R) Sam Day, Tom Lynch, Dion Prestia, coach Guy McKenna, Josh Caddy, Harley Bennell and David Swallow in 2010.CREDIT:SEBASTIAN COSTANZO

But his recollections of that pup from Sorrento – Tom Lynch – are instructive about the football behemoth Lynch would become.

"I only played one year with him but he was a really quiet bloke when he first got to the club and a little shy," Daye said this week.

"We both debuted in the same game and I remember watching him talk to the media before I did and thinking he was a nice big giant but then in the actual game after I kicked a goal he came storming towards me pumped up and after he kicked a goal he just turned into this beast and that's why I think he's become so successful. Just a big competitor."

That's the essence of responses you get when you ask people about Lynch. Mild-mannered, quiet and polite off the field, but ferociously driven to the point of crudeness on the park.

The Richmond spearhead has been the aggressor in five separate incidents this year to have drawn the ire of match review officer Michael Christian. None have been significant enough to earn Lynch even a week's suspension, but the string of offences – most recently dropping his knee into the neck and shoulder area of St Kilda's Dougal Howard – have cumulatively battered Lynch's reputation amongst the masses, at least those who don't barrack for the Tigers.

Graeme Yeats, who played 182 games for Melbourne including the 1988 grand final, coached Lynch in his under-18 season with the Dandenong Stingrays.

Yeats' first memory of Lynch is the youngster doing a running drill with eventual Greater Western Sydney star Nick Haynes. For kids in his program, Yeats was less fussed about sheer ability – they all had it – and more focused on work ethic.

"I just remember Tom with his head down, really working hard. He was just a big, big, big kid who just attacked the ball really hard. He threw himself at everything, and given his size and his athleticism, he could turn and run, a good pair of hands. It was pretty obvious in time he was going to be a force." Yeats said.

"He was a really, quiet respectful young man. A really mild-mannered kid, very respectful person. He's a great kid, he's just a ripper kid."

He has no recollection of Lynch having a dirty streak back then.

"I absolutely never saw that [tendency to do the undisciplined things]. I remember him being a real competitor, someone who would just fight tooth and nail in a contest," Yeats said.

"I think his competitiveness comes through in everything he does. Watching him over the years, he runs straight, he takes no prisoners, he attacks the ball really hard, he's a strong first-effort player and that's why he's an AFL star and opposition clubs obviously put a lot of time and effort into trying to quell his influence.

"He's probably treaded a really fine line and he's kind of going to have to learn at some stage. Hopefully it's not too late that he can sort of overcome those frustrations and be able to deal with it in a better way. But in the heat of the moment, a lot of things can happen and a lot of it goes on.

"He's probably done it a few more times than most."

Lynch's coach of today, Damien Hardwick, has been ultra-protective of the star forward this year, to the point he engaged in a nasty and personal war of words with David Schwarz. So too has Richmond chief executive Brendon Gale, who earlier this year likened the criticism directed at Lynch to that aimed at serial killer Ivan Milat.

Hardwick was again unapologetic when discussing Lynch this week ahead of Friday night's preliminary final against Port Adelaide.

"That's what Tom brings; he brings aggression," Hardwick said.

"If someone wants to take his space, good luck. The very best sides will play the hardest brand of footy and we're going to overstep the mark sometimes."

Yeats said he doubted Lynch would be overly fussed with the criticism coming from media and fans.

"I wouldn't have thought he'd give it a lot of thought," Yeats said.

"He gets good protection from his coach in the media.

"He looks like someone who's just more frustrated than anything. He cops a lot of treatment. He probably can deal with it a bit better.

"It probably got the better of him over the years, blokes whacking him behind the ear and punching you in the back of the head. I'd get pretty annoyed as well. But that's not his character."

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/a-mild-mannered-beast-the-tom-lynch-paradox-20201015-p565c8.html

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #1679 on: October 15, 2020, 08:35:31 PM »
Superstar
Just hope he kicks straight