Author Topic: Miraculous Moments: Can Dusty inspire Richmond to a double? .... (Herald-Sun)  (Read 651 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
The Miraculous Moments That Make Sport Special

Herald-Sun
Feb 7, 2018

THEY are the blink-and-you’ll-miss-it moments that stay with you a life-time. Witnessing unique sporting moments compels you to believe that you were part of something special, a participant in a shared experience that will be talked about for years.

Think Warnie’s "Ball of the Century" on Day 2 of the 1993 Ashes series (which prompted the memorable Graham Gooch quote about portly Mike Gatting on the receiving end – "If it had been a cheese roll, it would never have got past him"); Cathy Freeman's tangible relief after winning the 400m at the 2000 Olympics when a nation's expectations weighed heavily upon her slender shoulders; or Stephen Bradbury's dumb-struck expression when he realised he'd won Australia's first Winter Games Gold Medal after the rest of his speed skating opponents were splayed across the ice behind him.

We’ve all seen the replays of each of these stunning moments but nothing compares to witnessing them at the time they occurred - live at the venue, or watching at home on TV.

What will increase your chances of seeing something special in the first half of 2018? Simple. Watch more sport, including those below, where inspired players rise to the occasion.

AFL: Can Dusty inspire Richmond to a double?

Richmond's memorable victory in the 2017 Toyota Premiership Season Grand Final against the Crows last year was one for the ages. And the name that rang out across the nation was that of Dustin "Dusty" Martin - the first player in VFL/AFL history to win the Brownlow Medal and Norm Smith Medal in the same season. And he's hungry to recapture that winning feeling. "I want to experience that success again," he told the Herald Sun last month, "I want to feel that feeling I had last year when the final siren went in the Grand Final. I just love winning and love playing in such a great team." The season kicks off when Dusty and his team of champions take on Carlton on March 22.

Memorable moment in 2017: The goal over his shoulder in the final quarter of the Grand Final nailed an individual season that many declare was one of the best on record.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/feature/special-features/the-miraculous-moments-that-make-sport-special/news-story/10bbd24afb74d9072061de988fdff91e

Offline Tiger Tragic

• RFC Hall of Fame
Memorable moment in 2017: The goal over his shoulder in the final quarter of the Grand Final nailed an individual season that many declare was one of the best on record.

It was the cream on top of the most beautiful cake imaginable...Bruce McAvaney, 30 Sept 2017