Author Topic: Weightman & Lyon's Richmond season review and 2021 preview (SEN)  (Read 663 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Weightman & Lyon's Richmond season review and 2021 preview (SEN)
« on: November 17, 2020, 12:03:53 PM »
RICHMOND’S NEXT ALL-AUSTRALIAN, WHO DESERVES A PAY RISE AND WHO TO EXPECT A BIG 2021 FROM

BY SEN
17 November 2020

Dale Weightman has delivered his Unconventional Club Review of Richmond for season 2020.

Tigers champion ‘The Flea’ answered a number of questions on SEN Breakfast relating to the back-to-back premiers and their performance this season.

Who is Richmond’s next All-Australian?

Weightman: “We’ve got about half a dozen but I reckon Nick Vlastuin would be (next).”

Garry Lyon says: “I’ve got Jayden Short. He was unlucky not to win a Norm Smith medal.

“I think he’s got the potential to be an All-Australian.”

Have the Tigers got the right captain? If not, who?

Weightman: “I think he’s going alright, Trent (Cotchin).

“The best thing about Trent is he changed his game. It was all about possessions and he turned himself into a player that concentrated on all the other things.”

Lyon says: “He’s the man to lead them forward.

“If they go to look for anyone, maybe (Dylan) Grimes would be my next man but Trent’s right.”

If “player x” plays well, the Tigers are always a chance of winning?

Weightman: “Everyone would say (Dustin) Martin but I always look at the games over the last three or four years.

“I like Kane Lambert. He does all the team things, he runs hard, he chases. When he’s up and about he makes it easier for the Martins and Cotchins and these types of blokes.”

Lyon says: “I can’t go past Dusty.”

How did the Tigers fare in the trade period?

Weightman: “One thing they have done in the last couple of years, they’ve let premiership players go.

“But obviously they’ve got a plan there to pick up a couple of blokes. They’ve got an eye on some of the boys in the draft and that’s the way they’ll go.”

Lyon says: “They get St Kilda’s pick, which is 17, because of (Jack) Higgins going out.

“(Oleg) Markov going out, he’ll play footy at the Gold Coast Suns.

“(Josh) Caddy and (Nathan) Broad were the other two may have had a bit of a look around but they’ve held onto them and they need them.”

Which player is deserving of a pay rise?

Lyon says: “I gave Kamdyn McIntosh a little bump up in his wage. I thought he had a fantastic year.”

Weightman: “You’re spot on there. He’s worked his butt off. He was out of the side last year and worked his way back beautifully.”

Who deserves a pay cut?

Weightman: “I reckon they all contributed pretty well.”

Lyon says: “I thought Jack Riewoldt’s been on good money for a long time. He could take a little slice off for someone else.”

Weightman added: “Most full-forwards are on too much money, fair dinkum. All the little blokes get it down there…”

Expect a big 2021 from?

Weightman: “I like Shorty, I like (Liam) Baker. (Noah) Balta, how good is he going to be. He could be anything.”

Lyon says: “Riley Collier-Dawkins. I’ve been a big fan of his for a long time. He’s a good athlete, plays the modern game. I reckon he might have a big year.”

Big positional change in 2021?

Lyon says: “I reckon Noah Balta. He might only go from full-back to centre half-back, but he’s a star.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/11/16/richmonds-next-all-australian-who-deserves-a-pay-rise-and-who-to-expect-a/