Author Topic: JLT Game 1: Richmond vs Essendon - Sat. Feb 24 @ Wangaratta [includes teams]  (Read 5938 times)

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks

14 different goal kickers.

Most tackles: Jack Graham with 8

:cheers

dwaino

I know it’s jusr a practice game and the HUN is a Bomber rag but how they had them as a top 4 is a bit rich. Stringer is a perfect fit for a club that drinks their own bath water. I’ll be surprised if they make the 8 this year. None of their signings improve their soft underbelly inside game and with only two preseason games you can’t afford to go in half arsed and expect to turn your form on in round one like it’s a tap. I’m glad we tone our pressure down for the occasion, look ready to hit the ground running.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
One area of concern for the Richmond coaching staff will be their offensive one-on-one's, as they have won just 14 per cent of these contests in today's match. Their 2017 average of 29 per cent win rate is where they'd rather be in this category.

Richmond were playing on at every opportunity when they had a mark in the third term. 42 per cent of their marks were played on from in the quarter, which is well above their 2017 season average of 29 per cent, the fifth-lowest play on rate last year.

Dustin Martin and Trent Cotchin have both been kept on ice for the final term with the result of the game now beyond doubt. They were both terrific today and look set to continue their strong form from 2017 into this season.

Forward half kicking efficiency is continuing to be the deciding factor in this match. Essendon are going at just 30 per cent by foot, compared to the Tigers who are kicking at 86 per cent efficiency in the third quarter.

http://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/jlt-community-series/2018/1/ess-v-rich

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Pre-game pics:

Looks like there will be a full house in Wangaratta.
AFL reporting 11,000 which was the limit.
Was told it was a sellout.
Probably about 60-70% Richmond judging on merchandise and baracking.

People very interested in membership.
I spruiked the country membership to about half a dozen people and they all seemed interested.
Good deal. 5 home games. Take out the TV and away games and it fits perfectly.
Should be what the club concentrates on with reserved seating all sold.

Walked past the Richmond merch stand on the way out and they had brochures for membership as well as "Yallow and Black" book, videos, autograph books etc.
Grabbed a country one for a woman and her family there and of course she was more interested in that rather than the full membership.

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
Chol was the highlight for me today. Showed he can be competitive and effective... :clapping

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Chol's only problem has always been staying in the game.
Maybe he's one of those guys that needs a Sheedy-type teammate to come in and give him a whack in the ear early in the game to get him fired up.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Chol belongs in the ruck, looks so much better there...still a long way to go though...main concern is that at  the start of his third year, his tank is atill as poor as when he first arrived, the number of times he slowed to a walk while everyone else was still running ther arses off stood out like dog's bollocks..though he'd often spring to life when we took possesion and ball started going forward....so maybe it's not all about his tank.... :whistle  :shh

Other main obserations....

Grimes seems to have gone up another level....

Butler & Castagna's ball handling and finishing still a worry....they're probably both lucky Lloyd is slow, selfish and defensively unnacountable and Short is now seen as a back (who also doesn't defend)

Anyone who thinks Higgins is ready to play round one is kidding themselves.....Bolton surely must play....

Garthwaite looks the goods...

Short looks dangerous with the ball but is still defensively poor.....IMO it's a toss up between him & Garthwaite covering for Broad....

Townsend didn't completely suck when he was in the midfield....would be a huge bonus if he could at least get to a seviceable level and provide that extra rotation....

Probably my imagination but Caddy appeared to be a yard quicker...more likely Essendon were just slow....

Martin still a class above everyone going at half pace....

Cotchin played like it's still the finals...looks possessed....if that's just a pre-season effort then look out..... :shh

Goddard is cooked....

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
I thought Garthwaite showed a fair bit and I'd like to see him come in for Broad. I am no great judge, but I have this gut feel about him that he will be a player who rises to AFL football standard given the chance. A bit like what Grimes has done.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Chol was the highlight for me today. Showed he can be competitive and effective... :clapping

Yep enjoyed his game.

Huge task once Nank went off but krpt competing and presenting. Something he didn't do wnough of last year in the VFL.

Also, impressed with Ellis C, solid game
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Jackstar is back!!!

Pre-game pics:

Looks like there will be a full house in Wangaratta.
AFL reporting 11,000 which was the limit.
Was told it was a sellout.
Probably about 60-70% Richmond judging on merchandise and baracking.

People very interested in membership.
I spruiked the country membership to about half a dozen people and they all seemed interested.
Good deal. 5 home games. Take out the TV and away games and it fits perfectly.
Should be what the club concentrates on with reserved seating all sold.

Walked past the Richmond merch stand on the way out and they had brochures for membership as well as "Yallow and Black" book, videos, autograph books etc.
Grabbed a country one for a woman and her family there and of course she was more interested in that rather than the full membership.

Interesting it was reported as a sellout
A local told me that definitely wasn’t the case
Plenty of room around the ground
Especially at the North end

Offline yandb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
I was announced on TV on fri. that it was a sellout so I didn't go. I will be filthy if that was not the case.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade

I don't see it, maybe I've fallen into the trap of he is useless and need a real big effort to prove me otherwise?
He is obviously in the picture as he played, I just don't like it :huh

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Definitely not a sell out

Been up there before

Yesterday's crowd the smallest I've seen. Penty of room. Biggest issue was the heat and humidty, shocking

Actually they were selling tickets at the gate
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Jackstar is back!!!

Over 2000 tickets were available on Fridays locals say
But media both paper and TV were reporting sell out

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
The match report from one of the local rags up there had the crowd as 7,700.