Author Topic: Dustin Martin could win the Coleman Medal if played permanently at FF: Swan (HS)  (Read 715 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dustin Martin could win the Coleman Medal if played as a permanent forward, Dane Swan says

GLENN McFARLANE,
Herald Sun
February 25, 2018

DUSTIN Martin could add the Coleman Medal to his arsenal of awards if Richmond chose to play the Brownlow medallist forward for an entire season, according to his mate Dane Swan.

In an exclusive column for the Herald Sun Footy 18 magazine, Swan suggested Martin could kick in the vicinity of 60-plus goals if his coach Damien Hardwick opted to play him in attack.

Swan said he would be one of the game’s most dangerous forward weapons if that was to happen.

“It’s going to be hard for Dusty to improve on last year,” Swan said of the man who won almost every award imaginable last year, including the Norm Smith

Medal, the Brownlow, the AFL Coaches’ Association award and an AFL premiership medal in a stellar 2017 season.

“I don’t know what else he could do ... he is probably going to win the Coleman, too, ... which he could if they played him forward for the whole season.”

Four of the past six winners of the Coleman Medal have kicked fewer than 70 goals in a season, with last year’s winner, Sydney’s Lance Franklin, booting 69 goals.

Martin, 26, kicked a career-high 37.29 from 25 games last year, with his ability to push forward at stages and dominate one-on-one contests being a massive advantage for the Tigers.

“I’m sure Richmond would be looking at various ways of trying to improve him, even if it is going to be next to impossible, given how well he went last year,” Swan said.

“Kicking even more goals might be a way of doing that.”

Swan was certain Martin, who made his AFL return in Saturday’s JLT Series game against Essendon, wouldn’t be changed by the most intense year of his football career.

“I can’t imagine him changing,” he said. “He hasn’t got a big head and he doesn’t walk around as if he is a king, or that he has won all these medals.

“A lot of people (in his position) would have an inflated egos; he hasn’t. He had great teammates around him, and his family and friends, who keep him grounded.

“He has a great relationship with Trent (Cotchin). He lived with him for a few years in the early part of his career and he would have no doubt helped him form some good habits.

“I don’t know Trent, but he is a professional and he seems pretty much like (Scott) Pendlebury. They have probably been pretty good traits for Dustin to follow.”

He said “the sky’s the future” for 26-year-old Martin as he heads into the first season of his seven-year contract.

“The future is he can do whatever he likes.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/dustin-martin-could-win-the-coleman-medal-if-played-as-a-permanent-forward-dane-swan-says/news-story/fc414305652614b5942db8f59174dec6

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
I don't disagree Swanny, but I'd rather see him win a few more Norm Smith's.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Poach another gun mid and he can.....
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
well Matthews won it with 67 goals right? Swan might be onto something..... :shh

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
...and that was only his third or fourth best season for goals.... :shh

- Gustav Mahler

Offline Tigershark

• Premiership Captain
If Nick Daffy could kick 70+ in a season then why not...

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
I must've missed that season Daffy kicked 70+..... :huh

- Gustav Mahler

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
I must've missed that season Daffy kicked 70+..... :huh

I think he meant the Duck had 70+ kicks in a season.