Author Topic: 'Don't believe in never' - Richmond's journey to premiership glory (afl video)  (Read 751 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Don't believe in never - Richmond

The story of the Richmond Football Club and their journey to Premiership glory, as told by Damien Hardwick ...

WATCH VIDEO HERE: http://www.afl.com.au/video/2017-03-09/dont-believe-in-never-richmond

--------------------------------------------------------------------

The Richmond Football Club embarked on the 2017 Toyota AFL Premiership Season with a renewed focus to ignore the turbulent offseason and perception that a flag was never going eventuate for the current playing group.

The club, their coach Damien Hardwick and captain Trent Cotchin searched within themselves to persevere and continue with their common goal.

Their persistence delivered Richmond their first Grand Final victory in 37 years on Saturday  September 30, 2017. 

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-03-12/afl-campaign-in-2018-dont-believe-in-never

Offline ¾ T!geɹ

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
Loved it :thumbsup
I think for me, the realisation of winning the premiership is just starting to sink in.
Like every other older passionate Tiger supporter out there, who was there when we won in 1980, I have wanted this for so long, been through so much heartache and so much pain, bled so many tears, driven crazy with disappointment and crazed with so much anger by every horrible seasons end.
I think now, after watching that video, it's finally sunk in that we are PREMIERS once again.
I've looked at the Premiers poster on the wall every day, and didn't feel much, but I look at it now and feel WOW, we did, we finally did it.
 :gotigers :clapping
I can now start to really celebrate, and I will start by watching the replay in a whole new light, as premiers  ;D
The third quarter, the premiership quarter, it's Dusty time. He starts to shine and then delivers in the most AWESOME fashion.

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
Amazing video!!!

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Finally got around to watching it

Absolutely sensational

Goose Bumps
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 06:57:18 AM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
How silly does it make Matthew Lloyd look ?

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame

That was only ever moot anyway.
Great vid, ya stuck it up 'em Dimma
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame

That was only ever moot anyway.
Great vid, ya stuck it up 'em Dimma

Yeah, but he must love the fact that he was chosen to be the face of the brigade who in hindsight were made to look foolish.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
Did yous watch the Afl "TIGERS" season launch last night? Oh my tears flowed

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
What brought Hardwick and Cotchin to tears?

afl.com.au
Mar 22, 2018

RICHMOND premiership coach Damien Hardwick and captain Trent Cotchin have revealed the moment they were reduced to tears after Dustin Martin's contract extension with the Tigers.

In an exclusive behind-the-scenes look at their drought-breaking premiership, the captain-coach pair detailed their phone call moments after the superstar's fresh seven-year deal.

"I'll never forget being on the phone and I let a yelp like a 12-year-old schoolboy when he told me he was staying. I was that excited, I had tears," Hardwick says in Don’t Believe in Never: The Wounded Tiger Story.

The program will air after the Richmond-Carlton match on Thursday night on AFL.com.au and Channel 7 from 11pm AEDT.

"I'll never forget where I was when Dustin Martin called me to tell me he was staying a Richmond player for basically the rest of his life," said Hardwick.

Cotchin talks openly about the moments after receiving the call from the Brownlow and Norm Smith medallist to inform him he was staying at Richmond.

"I was in the room on my own and he (Martin) called me, then I called 'Dimma' (Hardwick) and sounded him out to suss whether he knew," Cotchin says. 

"I teared up, it was special."

After a trip to New Zealand in the bye week, between the home and away season and finals series, Martin committed his future to the Tigers until 2024 when he will turn 33.

As Martin headed across the Tasman to consult his father, his captain's confidence shifted.

"(It's) bye week leading into finals, for the whole year I was really, really confident that he would be a Tiger," Cotchin said.

"Then for whatever reason, there was just a moment, not a significant amount of worry enough for me to go (gasp)."

With a mega offer from North Melbourne turned down, Martin went onto claim the Brownlow Medal, a premiership and the Norm Smith Medal.

Don’t Believe in Never: The Wounded Tiger Story airs on Thursday night [ed. last night] on AFL.com.au and Channel 7 from 11pm AEDT.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-03-22/what-brought-hardwick-and-cotchin-to-tears