Author Topic: Tigers surge up AFL revenue ladder - but just miss the top four (Age)  (Read 774 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers surge up AFL revenue ladder - but just miss the top four

Peter Ryan
The Age
21 March 2018 — 3:54pm

Richmond's drought-breaking premiership saw the Tigers roar up the AFL's revenue ladder in 2017, with their 37 per cent revenue increase pushing them to fifth on the table.

Collingwood remained the top revenue-earner despite missing the finals for the fourth year in succession, slightly ahead of powerhouses Hawthorn, West Coast and Essendon, who filled the top four.

The Tigers not only managed a massive increase in home-ground attendances, they also earned increased sponsorship revenue and are one of the few AFL clubs making a success of a non-football revenue source other than gaming, with their health and recreation business Aligned Leisure making money.

The information, contained in annual research from IBISWorld on club financial reports, saw 14 of the 18 AFL clubs post an operating profit in 2017, up from 10 in 2016.

IBISWorld's senior industry analyst Nick Tarrant said many AFL clubs still relied heavily on gaming revenue to make a profit.

"The AFL is pushing hard for the clubs to reduce their dependence on hospitality and gaming revenue, but it remains clear that certain clubs rely heavily on their corporate hosting and po-kies revenue streams. The three top clubs received the least funding from the AFL. In 2017, 29.4 per cent of Collingwood’s revenue came from hospitality and po-kies, with Hawthorn at 26.7 per cent," Tarrant said.

Although many clubs have expressed a desire to rely less on gaming revenue, most acknowledge it is a difficult task.

Sixty per cent of Gold Coast's revenue comes from AFL funding. More than 40 per cent of North Melbourne and St Kilda's funding came from the AFL in 2017.

Both the Kangaroos and the Saints will benefit from improved deals with Etihad Stadium in 2018, and North Melbourne does not earn revenue through gaming.

All clubs receive some AFL funding as a result of the broadcasting deals the AFL negotiates on their behalf.

The AFL annual report is expected to be published within the next fortnight.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-tigers-afl-revenue-collingwood-20180321-p4z5fl.html

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Tigers surge up AFL revenue ladder - but just miss the top four (Age)
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 08:08:25 PM »
So the AFL are looking to develop the game in Western Sydney, the GC, inner Norf and bayside melbourne
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 08:41:02 PM »
Hawthorn make their budget with almost entirely pokies. Essendon just have donated most of theirs from wealthy benefactors and W.C make up about 3/4 of the divide in a 2 team city.

Realistically we can only chase Collingwood down at this stage.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 09:46:51 PM »
Hawthorn make their budget with almost entirely pokies. Essendon just have donated most of theirs from wealthy benefactors and W.C make up about 3/4 of the divide in a 2 team city.

Realistically we can only chase Collingwood down at this stage.
Didn't the article just state that Collingwood makes more than Hawthorn from pokies? :huh
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 10:47:59 PM »
Interesting about our Leisure business

I must of misread the numbers  :huh3
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 11:41:04 PM »

I thought that too.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 06:59:31 AM »

I thought that too.

Certainly increased our revenues but the overall business (rev less expenses) shows it made a small loss. Which I might add is not that surprising in its first full 12 months of operations with any set up costs captured
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Jackstar is back!!!

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 07:20:33 AM »

I thought that too.

Wasn’t it reported as a loss at AGM ?

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2018, 09:35:40 AM »

I thought that too.

Certainly increased our revenues but the overall business (rev less expenses) shows it made a small loss. Which I might add is not that surprising in its first full 12 months of operations with any set up costs captured
Would be interesting to find out but generally speaking leisure centres make small losses or creep into small profits. However, there are some contracts that are money for jam. MSAC, Watermark and Gsac for example.

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2018, 04:02:03 PM »

I thought that too.

Didn't we expand the number of centres by purchasing another licence?? Increasing revenue indicates we have expanded and there are always additional write offs in any new purchase. pretty confident the leisure centers will be profitable in the long run, especially with Melbourne predict ted to grow from current population of almost 5million to 8million over next 40 years

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2018, 04:08:22 PM »
That is true but one thing the club should do is look to take advantage of the current success by buying some substantial freehold assets which can generate revenue every year. Our club whilst having a strong balance sheet now doesn't seem to own a lot of stuff as freehold and now is the time to go looking for new things. Footy goes in cycles, we need to be strong when the system of the draft starts to work
against us.