Author Topic: Shai Bolton halts contract talks with the Tigers (Zerohanger)  (Read 3775 times)

Offline Dougeytherichmondfan

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Shai Bolton halts contract talks with the Tigers (Zerohanger)
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2018, 07:23:09 PM »
He's had 2. Castagna has had 3.

Castagna, despite he's shortcomings, was a significant contributor and influence on the ground during the finals series as a link up player. Effected contests, created worry and space.

Shai has done none of that so far this year.

Online Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2018, 07:33:47 PM »
He's had 2. Castagna has had 3.

Castagna, despite he's shortcomings, was a significant contributor and influence on the ground during the finals series as a link up player. Effected contests, created worry and space.

Shai has done none of that so far this year.

In my opinion he was extremely lucky to keep his spot after his performance against the cats.

His mistakes in games are telling. But let’s not drop him ever because he’s fast and he’s a premiership player.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2018, 01:54:13 AM »
Castagna's decision making is a real worry. He doesn't get enough of the pill to really hurt the team, but I cringe every time he has the ball.

No one can deny that he is a great tackler, but he is what he is, and that is a limited footballer. In a team with a focus on role players, he can be an asset when he can play a certain role. But if he can't, there is no room for him.

Offline ¾ T!geɹ

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2018, 04:35:22 AM »
From what I've seen thus far, I agree with everyone about how ineffective he is during games, and yes stats can be very deceiving.
My question then, is, why is he in the side?
What was his level of influence in the VFL (I very rarely have time to study the VFL games or see them at all).
Could he be in the side purely for experience? This is the only logical thing that seems to make any sense as to why he is still playing. Can the coaches see stuff in him that we can't (behind closed doors training etc) , of which they are trying to bring out what playing in the VFL didn't.
Seems to me he is a terrier that is running around with german shepards trying to catch something way too big and experienced for him.
Maybe the little terrier will be able to hold his own one day (but I think that would  need to be soon, real soon).
The third quarter, the premiership quarter, it's Dusty time. He starts to shine and then delivers in the most AWESOME fashion.

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2018, 07:43:13 PM »
My biggest concern is his terrible leg.

Kicking is very up and under and lacks penetration.

Every field kick he has is a 50/50 contest.
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2018, 08:49:38 PM »
My biggest concern is his terrible leg.

Kicking is very up and under and lacks penetration.

Every field kick he has is a 50/50 contest.

Agree one helicopter kicker in the side is enough

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2018, 03:26:33 AM »
Many in the industry think Ralph Carr took Dustin Martin’s re-signing at Richmond as a personal insult, with the player manager much keener on the bigger dollars offered by North Melbourne.

And now there’s whispers Carr is trying to get back at the Tigers by convincing young forward Shai Bolton to head home to Western Australia.

Bolton’s contract talks have stalled at Punt Road, and it’s thought his manager is deliberately making the process as painful as possible for the team that cost him 10% of the extra $300,000 a year the Kangaroos were offering Dusty.

However, it’s more a case of the Tigers being unable to make a move on Bolton and a few others until they know where they stand with Tom Lynch.

The Gold Coast star is going to cost the premiers every spare penny they’ve got, and while they’re keen to keep Bolton, they may not be able to match offers from Fremantle and West Coast.

It looks to me like one of the WA clubs will get a gun youngster at a very cheap price.

http://www.sportingnews.com/au/afl/list/the-afl-rover-say-it-aint-so-cyril-rioli-hawthorn-hawks-shai-bolton-izak-rankine/1qhcs5sjqsele1k6hxp5ud00xk/slide/2

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2018, 03:57:36 AM »
He's only shown glimpses to date. No doubt he's talented and a very classy player. But from round 1 he seemed preoccupied with trying to take mark of the year than doing the team thing or even kicking goals.

I hope he stays but if he would rather go to WA for $$$$$$$ then all the best to him. With Rioli, Higgins, Stengle, and even potentially Maurice Rioli Jr I don't think we need to bend over backwards for him

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2018, 06:19:49 AM »
Unless he is given more chances this year there is a real risk regardless of how much money is offered he will leave the club.

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2018, 06:29:09 AM »
Unless he is given more chances this year there is a real risk regardless of how much money is offered he will leave the club.

Agree also

Exactly my sentiments

He's only shown glimpses to date. No doubt he's talented and a very classy player. But from round 1 he seemed preoccupied with trying to take mark of the year than doing the team thing or even kicking goals.

I hope he stays but if he would rather go to WA for $$$$$$$ then all the best to him. With Rioli, Higgins, Stengle, and even potentially Maurice Rioli Jr I don't think we need to bend over backwards for him
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2018, 06:59:07 AM »
That article is the complete opposite to what I have heard - it's sounding like the bidding war could be as high as a first rounder  :shh
"why not us, why not now?"
Sep 2017

Offline Assange Tiger

• Sensible & Courageous
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • The courageous recognise true courage - Assange
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2018, 09:13:44 AM »
stuff people have been hard on this kid for a 2nd year player..

All the talent is there. I don't want to be seeing Butler go possessionless for quarters on end or see Castagna display some of the worst skills and decision making possible. Give Bolton more opportunity, get Rioli fit and watch Stengle develop some more. I reckon these 3 are the future. Not that Butler and Castagna aren't decent players - they are and they helped us win a premiership. But if we get these kids up to speed then they'll have it all over those 2.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2018, 11:19:26 AM »

All the talent is there. I don't want to be seeing Butler go possessionless for quarters on end or see Castagna display some of the worst skills and decision making possible. Give Bolton more opportunity, get Rioli fit and watch Stengle develop some more. I reckon these 3 are the future. Not that Butler and Castagna aren't decent players - they are and they helped us win a premiership. But if we get these kids up to speed then they'll have it all over those 2.

George has been very good this season, agree with butler - should have been dropped a few weeks ago. Then again you cant be harsh on them either considering theyre not much more experienced then bolts.

Offline Dougeytherichmondfan

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2018, 11:44:45 AM »

Just so you're clear, Georgies 2nd year was last year and Butler's might as well have been as he lost one due to a knee reco.

Agree that Shai has a much higher ceiling than those two, but for same age and stage Castag and Butlers are WAY ahead of Bolton.

Dan also was only in his second year in '17. Can you honestly see Shai kicking 4 crucial goals in a prelim at this stage? We're a premiership side, we dont gift games to guys to "blood" them anymore, when theres better performing cattle to choose from. That was so 2012....

Offline Assange Tiger

• Sensible & Courageous
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • The courageous recognise true courage - Assange
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2018, 01:15:00 PM »

George has been very good this season, agree with butler - should have been dropped a few weeks ago. Then again you cant be harsh on them either considering theyre not much more experienced then bolts.

That's true. George has been mostly good. His last 2 weeks haven't been great however. Though his best footy is yet to come as well. I just reckon Bolton has the potential and skillset to become a far better player than both Butler/George.

Just so you're clear, Georgies 2nd year was last year and Butler's might as well have been as he lost one due to a knee reco.

Agree that Shai has a much higher ceiling than those two, but for same age and stage Castag and Butlers are WAY ahead of Bolton.

Dan also was only in his second year in '17. Can you honestly see Shai kicking 4 crucial goals in a prelim at this stage?

Yes it was. And he was inconsistent in his performances outside of pressure for the most part. The main thing that was never in doubt was his endeavour and ability to chase. I recall many calling for his head after a number of games.

You're basing that comment on the fact a 19 year old Bolton has played 2 games so far in his 2nd season. One against Carlton where I thought some of his efforts were fantastic but his overall output wasn't good enough & he flew for a few too many marks. 2nd round was against Adelaide...at Adelaide Oval...where we were beaten convincingly. Not exactly the easiest start to the season for the kid. There's still 14 games to go and who is to say he won't come in for a run of games, build confidence and provide us something Butler/Castagna don't have the ability to.

Butler/Castagna kicked 4 & 3 respectively for the entire finals series, so not sure where the 4 goals in a prelim comes from, that was Dan Rioli.

We're a premiership side, we dont gift games to guys to "blood" them anymore, when theres better performing cattle to choose from. That was so 2012....
So who are the better performing cattle? Butler has been atrocious, absolutely atrocious. The one game he kicked 3 or so was off the back of getting a few easy ones following great forward pressure from his teammates. But not to discredit him, he's created goals for others over time with that same pressure. But right now he's about useful as pockets in your underpants and should have a run in the VFL with Bolton or Stengle getting a go in his place