Author Topic: 'Wait and see' on new deal for Shaun Grigg (afl site)  (Read 1503 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
'Wait and see' on new deal for Shaun Grigg (afl site)
« on: April 26, 2018, 12:36:23 PM »
'Wait and see' on new deal for premiership Tiger

afl.com.au
Apr 26, 2018

PREMIERSHIP Tiger Shaun Grigg is yet to open negotiations with Richmond on a contract extension beyond this season.

Grigg, who recently turned 30, will become an unrestricted free agent at the end of this season; his 12th year in the AFL system.

He has signed one-year extensions for the past two seasons with his last contract inked in May last year.

While he doesn't plan on playing elsewhere in 2019, he said this week his management was yet to meet with the Tigers regarding a new deal.

"It's the nature of the business when you're my age, it's a wait and see," Grigg told AFL.com.au.

"There's not too much I can worry about there, it's just about performing on field and helping us win.

"All I can I do is keep playing my role for the team and hopefully it works out that I'm here next year."

NEW DEAL Contract extension on the radar for livewire Tiger favourite

Grigg is due to play his 200th game in round eight against North Melbourne, taking him to a total of 157 in the yellow and black.

The father-of-two played 43 games for Carlton between 2007 and 2010 before moving to Richmond in search of more senior opportunities.

In the Tigers' premiership year, Grigg made a name for himself as the team's undersized back-up ruckman to Toby Nankervis.

Shaun GRIGG - AFL Premiership Career statistics

Kicks               11.6           Above Avg
Handballs            9.8           Average
Disposal Efficiency 73.1           Average
Inside 50s           3.5           Above Avg
Goals                0.5           Above Avg
Rating             269.8           Average

The consistent wingman is one of three Richmond free agents this year; Reece Conca is also unrestricted, while Bachar Houli is in the restricted category.

Dylan Grimes was set for free agency status at the end of the season, but the Tigers signed the important defender on a three-year extension in February this year.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-04-26/wait-and-see-on-new-deal-for-premiership-tiger#/

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: 'Wait and see' on new deal for Shaun Grigg (afl site)
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 12:39:24 PM »
Good figures for a ruckman.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 02:06:24 PM »
Frees up some cap space for a big fish???

:shh :shh

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 04:15:30 PM »
WOW, love him or hate him Grigga has played 157 games for the Tiges and has won a premiership in the yellow & Black.
If the last two years he has been on 1 year extensions and performed well, just keep him on 1 year extensions. Seems to work for both parties
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 04:17:46 PM »
I would push for six month extensions

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 10:20:53 PM »
I would push for six month extensions
Performance based 2 game contracts are the way of the future.
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 10:40:21 PM »
He has been great for this football club (in hindsight).  He and others (Edwards) made a few of us look stupid 

What I would love though just to complete the opposition melts is hammer to play in and win this years flag for ya.

Unlikely but how funny would that be?

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 10:54:46 PM »
He has been great for this football club (in hindsight).  He and others (Edwards) made a few of us look stupid 

What I would love though just to complete the opposition melts is hammer to play in and win this years flag for ya.

Unlikely but how funny would that be?

nah can't risk it mate. wouldn't let him carry water
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2018, 07:11:48 AM »
I guess you can’t argue with his contribution to team. Even if the forward line feel like Somalian villagers when he bombs his black hawk downs from the wing
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2018, 08:45:25 AM »
Seriously, I think a number of clubs would be silly not to look at Grigg if he was available.

He apparently is one of the smartest 'footy brains' out there at the moment, he has heaps of experience and has won a flag. Great mentor type to have around a club for younger players, then maybe transition into a coaching role.