Author Topic: How's our rebuild looking now compared to Demons/Blues/Saints/Lions/Dockers ??  (Read 3090 times)

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
To have a balanced discussion I think we need some input from the Dees supporters that post on here

That person has done an identical thread on Demontime which has Melbourne just ahead of a "middling" Richmond list.

lol

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
a mate of mine a st kilda supporter says they used to all be Drunks. Even as recently as Justin Peckitt which is a few years ago now  but club cultures have a way of persisting...

When was the St Kilda school girl scandal?

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Wonder if we will get a post from the flog Demon supporter who use to post on here before the Tiges played the Dees.

Also was there any truth to the rumor that it was Claw just trolling?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Fagan was right last week when he said rebuilds (from scratch) take a long time.

When you look back, our first attempt started at the 2004 draft when Wallace took over (13 years ago). Not trying to defend Wallace as a coach, but the Club's original plan when Plough joined was to play finals by 2008 with a combo of oldies (Richo, Browny, Johnson, Gaspar, etc) and the new kids with 3-4 seasons under their belt. They knew it wasn't sustainable as our list in 2004 had been totally decimated with no young guns to speak off given we had previously traded away early picks for fringe players, but it was buy time for the next recruiting wave. Play a final series and then dip down the ladder when the oldies were gone before rising again with a better balanced list that could achieve sustainable success. However, our facilities and recruiting were so substandard back then that they were a joke and as we know we stuffed up both the 2004 & 2005 drafts despite a number of early picks. Then Wallace was a failure of a coach as well over his 5 years so the original plan went AWOL.

The only positive from the Wallace years was that by the time Dimma joined at the end of 2009, we had kept hold of our early picks and thus we had some young future guns on our list - Cotch, Rance, Jack, Sheds - which Dusty was added to straight away. We may have been classed as "worse than Fitzroy" but we actually had some base to finally re-rebuild off. With a cultural shift, Fighting Tiger funding drive, new facilites, a strong emphasis on recruiting and development, etc ... the "second attempted rebuild started in 2010. That of course took about 3 years to build a side capable of making finals and then a further 4 years after that to win a flag (with a major hiccup along the way in 2016). 

Of these current bottom sides, I see some small base for Brisbane & Carlton to work off. Both are back where we were in 2010-11. The issue for both is cultural and financial problems remain. The Blues are still trying to recover from their salary cap penalties for cheating and are still run as a oligarchy. Plus Bolton is in his 3rd year not his first or second. Brisbane's problem is also financial plus retaining their young players so it doesn't become a vicious cycle of developing interstate kids for other clubs to poach. Freo is where you would expect for a club that spent mostly a decade challenging before losing so much experience due to retirements. St Kilda on the other hand look lost. I doubt they know what they are doing on or off-field. They are totally rudderless without Nick Riewoldt out there that's for sure. At least when Richo retired, Jack began to take over the mantle as our No.1 forward.

Melbourne is entirely a different beast or should that be pheasant. Their list should be playing finals but they are culturally in a time warp that hasn't changed sine 1964. They are still where we use to be until last year - unable or simply not good enough to handle expectation. I won't be surprised if the rah-rahs play well against us on Tuesday night as playing the reigning premiers means they have nothing to lose (unless they get flogged by us  :pray ). But as soon as they are expected to stand up and can't play as downhill skiers like their supporters at Mt Hotham, they fall in a heap. It's why Garry Lyon always pumps us up as favourites in the days/week leading up to playing his beloved Dees. We are their Grand Final  ::)
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
Of these current bottom sides, I see some small base for Brisbane & Carlton to work off. Both are back where we were in 2010-11. The issue for both is cultural and financial problems remain. The Blues are still trying to recover from their salary cap penalties for cheating and are still run as a oligarchy. Plus Bolton is in his 3rd year not his first or second. Brisbane's problem is also financial plus retaining their young players so it doesn't become a vicious cycle of developing interstate kids for other clubs to poach. Freo is where you would expect for a club that spent mostly a decade challenging before losing so much experience due to retirements. St Kilda on the other hand look lost. I doubt they know what they are doing on or off-field. They are totally rudderless without Nick Riewoldt out there that's for sure. At least when Richo retired, Jack began to take over the mantle as our No.1 forward.

Right now, I'd take Brisbane's list over quite a few teams, let alone Carlton. They are in a world of pain at the moment, and it serves them right.

I think Brisbane is in a genuine rebuild and on the right track. Carlton, North, St Kilda, Gold Coast, Fremantle and West Coast, despite their start to the season, are in limbo land. They keep taking steps forward and steps backward.

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
I agree with most of that,but not about the eagles tho.Eagles have genuinely good talent and always bring good kids through and good recruiting.I think for them it is more of a coaching issue.

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
we spent 3 years not doing much under Hardwick.  Basically some players got games but we used a fair few recycled players to maintain competitiveness.
Actually I'm surprised how many recycled players we had in the GF. Townsend Prestia Caddy Houli Nankervis Grigg plus the aged recruit Lambert and rookie Grimes and there were a few not in the GF too. It's been a funny way to build a list.

Offline taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
we spent 3 years not doing much under Hardwick.  Basically some players got games but we used a fair few recycled players to maintain competitiveness.
Actually I'm surprised how many recycled players we had in the GF. Townsend Prestia Caddy Houli Nankervis Grigg plus the aged recruit Lambert and rookie Grimes and there were a few not in the GF too. It's been a funny way to build a list.

Grimes was PSD not rookie

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Almost 3/4 time in the Saints GWS game - good endeavor by the saints but it's painfully obvious that they lack class .
Unleash the tornado

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
They drew... :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
ah I sit corrected. I knew he wasn't a
 straight draft pick.

Still 7 of 22 about a third from non ND

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com

Right now, I'd take Brisbane's list over quite a few teams, let alone Carlton. They are in a world of pain at the moment, and it serves them right.

I think Brisbane is in a genuine rebuild and on the right track. Carlton, North, St Kilda, Gold Coast, Fremantle and West Coast, despite their start to the season, are in limbo land. They keep taking steps forward and steps backward.
Agree about North. They are winning games on the back of oldies such as Higgins, Waite, Goldstein, Thompson, etc. Will end up in mid-ladder limbo land.

Eagles are totally dependent of NicNat.

I think the Blues have some talented young talls to build around that will come on once they bulk up. In the meantime, they are in a world of pain and will need to keep investing in the draft with their early pics for finishing bottom.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
Makes me laugh about the Hawks 'rebuild'. Clarko getting praised, but they have the oldest list in the comp and have had no high picks in the last few years.

It can't last.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
Caddy was a good get in our rebuild just as our Spanish recruiter pointed out in the greatest you tube video ever made

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cueSVslcyhw