Author Topic: Hardwick praises unlucky five (Herald-Sun)  (Read 764 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Hardwick praises unlucky five (Herald-Sun)
« on: October 02, 2019, 03:13:44 AM »
HARDWICK PRAISES UNLUCKY FIVE

Herald-Sun
2 Oct 2019

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick paid tribute to five players who made “valuable contributions” to the Tigers’ push to Grand Final glory despite missing last Saturday’s big dance.

Hardwick used much of his speech at Richmond’s best and fairest count to make a “special mention” to the five, led by midfielder Jack Graham who played on in the preliminary final after dislocating his shoulder in the opening half.

“The impact he had in that preliminary final and the absolute courage that man showed to go back on the field with one arm, I haven’t seen anything quite like it, Jack,” Hardwick said.

“We certainly wouldn’t be with this (premiership cup) and here today without you, so well done.”

Hardwick also recognised Jack Higgins and said he can’t wait to have the small forward back come Round 1 next year.

“To a young man in Jack Higgins, who had a significant injury like you would not believe,” Hardwick said.

“For him to make the time and effort to come down and see our playing group on Thursday, merely a week after his (brain) operation was simply inspirational. I can’t wait to get you back, mate, and I look forward to seeing you Round 1 next year.”

Kamdyn McIntosh and Jack Ross – who missed both the club’s VFL and AFL Grand Final wins as they were senior emergencies – and injured vice-captain Alex Rance were also on Hardwick’s thank you list.

“They (McIntosh) and Ross) have made significant contributions to our footy club and when I asked them to withdraw from the VFL Grand Final they did not bat an eyelid and said, ‘Whatever you need, coach’,” Hardwick said.

“Then to unfortunately not represent our club in the Grand Final, without no complaint, so happy for the other 22 players to represent – to Kamdyn and Jack, I applaud you.

“I also want to acknowledge our spiritual leader and our vice-captain Alex Rance, who unfortunately suffered a season-ending knee injury. But his enthusiasm to get us back to the top where we wanted to get to never deviated. We look forward to having the No.1 draft pick back next year, Alex.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/jack-dyer-medal-dion-prestia-wins-his-first-richmond-bestandfairest/news-story/84116541998e43e060d8814cd4f7087e