Author Topic: Tigers Roar in Yarrawonga (Riverina Herald)  (Read 321 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers Roar in Yarrawonga (Riverina Herald)
« on: April 25, 2018, 02:16:18 PM »
Tigers Roar in Yarrawonga

Riverine Herald
Fiona Blick
25 April 2018

The AFL Tigers flew into Yarrawonga on Wednesday [18th April] to visit local schools in the area such as Sacred Heart Primary as part of their AFL Visit Program.

Excitement rose in the room that cult favourite ‘Dusty’ might be attending but although the fend off master was nowhere to be seen the students were still thrilled to have some AFL players at their school.

Among the Tigers players were backman Nathan Broad, who was lucky enough to play in the much-anticipated Tigers premiership last year as well as Callum Moore who played in Richmond’s unfortunate VFL loss by four points.

Joining them was first year rookie Derek Eggmolesse-Smith who spoke to the students about life as an AFL footballer and the boys love of Auskick from a young age.

Callum spoke to the students of his journey from juniors through to making the AFL.

“I started Auskick when I was young but I gave it up at about 10 and started again around 17,” Callum said.

“I then went to the TAC cup and played for the Calder Cannons where I came up here and beat you guys a few times before representing VIC Metro and from there that lead to the AFL draft and being picked up by Richmond.”

Nathan’s journey was also one that resonated to the students about fighting for your dream and not giving up.

“I realised I wanted to play AFL when I was 17 but I missed three drafts in a row when I was 18, 19 and 20 but luckily enough I got drafted at 22 which was very lucky as you usually get drafted at 18,” Nathan said. “Don’t give up on your dream.”

Students of every football team supporter base had many questions for the players such as their diets, training regime, if they played Auskick as a youngster and if they had friends in both their team and opposition before they had the opportunity to shake hands and receive autographs from the players.

Sacred Heart Deputy Principal Dean Carroll said it was great to have people the students look up to visit the school and inspire the kids to strive for their goals.

“It’s always great when we have people such as sports stars that so many of the students know, come in and have a chat and answer any questions the students have,” Dean said.

“It makes them happy, they realise these people they look up to are still approachable and it puts a thought in their heads that if something such as footy is what they want to pursue further down the track, if they put their mind to it and work hard they can achieve it.”

Much of the Richmond side visited surrounding towns in the region on their training day off with Corowa local Ryan Garthwaite visiting Lavington and Richmond favourite Alex Rance attending schools in Wangaratta.

http://www.riverineherald.com.au/regional/2018/04/25/141453/tigers-roar