Author Topic: Hardwick's press conference 18-5-18 / Dimma wants umps to look after Dusty  (Read 1100 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dimma's presser today:

VIDEO: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2018-05-18/hardwick-previews-eagles

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Richmond coach Damian Hardwick wants umpires to look after Dustin Martin ahead of Eagles clash

West Australian
18 May 2018

Damien Hardwick has called on umpires to provide superstar Dustin Martin with greater protection from taggers ahead of Sunday’s blockbuster clash with West Coast at Optus Stadium.

Martin was held to just 16 disposals by Ben Jacobs in the Tigers’ win over North Melbourne last week and Eagles midfielders Elliot Yeo and Mark Hutchings have been flagged as possible opponents for the Brownlow Medal winner.

Yeo won plenty of plaudits for his negating job on Fremantle captain Nat Fyfe in the derby last month and his versatility means he could go with Martin when the Tigers gun pushes forward.

Hardwick said he did not contact the AFL umpiring department about Martin's physical treatment in the North Melbourne defeat.

However, he used his weekly press conference on Friday morning to put the whistlebowers on notice before the top-of-the-table showdown with West Coast.

“It’s not often we see Dustin getting beaten and he took that on board and Jacobs did a great job, but we probably thought he could’ve got a little bit more protection from the umpires at various stages,” Hardwick said.

“He’s a ball player and he only got one free kick for the day. That’s something we can’t control, but the fact of the matter is that we want to see the ball players play.

“Ben Jacobs did a terrific job last week but we expect Dustin to bounce back this week.”

Hardwick said he had not followed Hawthorn coach Alastair Clarkson’s lead to raise his concerns direct with AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan.

“That’s for the umpires to determine and see how they play,” Hardwick said.

“All we ask is that the players playing the ball get a fair go.”

https://thewest.com.au/sport/richmond-tigers/richmond-coach-damian-hardwick-wants-umpires-to-look-after-dustin-martin-ahead-of-eagles-clash-ng-b88839900z

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
I didn't realise we had lost to NORF. My dialysis must have been bad that day.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
I didn't realise we had lost to NORF. My dialysis must have been bad that day.
Urea may have been allowed to rise a little too high.....
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Saw the footage on Ten and Seven.
If these are the worst examples of Martin needing protection from Jacobs we can expect NOTHING to change.
On Ten it was tackling to the ground after a chest mark and on Seven it was Jacobs still holding after Dusty ran over the boundary.
Neither deserved a free.

If it was as bad as posters here (and Dimma) have claimed then surely we could provide the over-worked TV producers with ILLEGAL holding off the ball.
Waste of time for Dimma raising the issue with no credible vision.
Added problem of crying wolf diminishes future complaints. 

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Saw the footage on Ten and Seven.
If these are the worst examples of Martin needing protection from Jacobs we can expect NOTHING to change.
On Ten it was tackling to the ground after a chest mark and on Seven it was Jacobs still holding after Dusty ran over the boundary.
Neither deserved a free.

If it was as bad as posters here (and Dimma) have claimed then surely we could provide the over-worked TV producers with ILLEGAL holding off the ball.
Waste of time for Dimma raising the issue with no credible vision.
Added problem of crying wolf diminishes future complaints.
When you're at the game you see a lot of things the cameras don't pick up.....
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
That's true but I think Dusty copped a flogging from Jacobs (not the first and won't be the last) fairly. I was watching on the telly however. You'd think he would have gotten more frees had anything too heinous happened off ball
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline HKTiger

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
Late 1st quarter. Dusty takes Jacobs to the goal square. Play is on our back flank. Jacobs is clipping Dusty around the ears. Dusty just pushes him in the chest. Goal umpire warns them. Goal umpire calls the field umpire back. Hosking clmes back stands about 10 meters from the behind post, on the boundary and watches them. Sees Jacobs take Dusty high, twice. Just says something like "Settle down boys". Stays there about 45 seconds. We then win the ball and are coming forward and Dusty goes on a lead. Two clear free kicks to Dusty, nothing called. Just pee poor umpiring. Happened 15 metres in front of me and I thought watching that woudl be more fun than the game.  Let the maggot know what a coward he was.