Author Topic: Brain Taylor's chisels  (Read 3616 times)

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Brain Taylor's chisels
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2018, 10:46:29 AM »
I love when they use the term.  "He's really driving through his legs" Back in my day we simply called it running or sprinting..
LOL

Offline sugark

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2018, 10:49:48 AM »
its better than Dwayne Russell and his constant 'blasts' the ball, all game long they blast the ball

Online taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2018, 11:05:40 AM »
player has a "lovely long leg" to describe a kick !

Offline Dont Argue

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2018, 11:29:48 AM »
Commentators carrying on about Dusty's free kick.
In my day it was " if you don't mind Umpire" and we all moved on

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2018, 11:42:29 AM »
"time to put his skates on" or "he has a good set of wheels on him"
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2018, 01:30:49 PM »
Pronouncing "defence" as "dee-fence" is just plain "ree-tarded"....

since when was saying some is having a shot on goal an American thing?  :lol

I think our own coach said Jordy McMahon was our 'QB' once  :shh

For over 130 years it was "shot At goal"

Also suggest you do some research of American sports and not the main ones , you may learn something

Shot on goal was a soccer term first.... :shh

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2018, 02:10:55 PM »
The worst thing about the Grand final last year was BTs commentary.

I agree, he completely wrecked the last 30 seconds of the game, it needed McAvaney to finish the commentary. A McAvaney Sandy Roberts duo would have been 1000 times better, BT just tries hard but it comes across as pre rehearsed dribble. McAvaney and Roberts are just natural commentators. I agree the worst part of last seasons grand final was BTs performance.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2018, 02:40:55 PM »
You're seriously upset because commentators occasionally say "insert player" is going to have a shot on goal? Having a 'shot on goal' would only ever be heard in soccer when it comes to mainstream sports, and soccer isn't American. It's a worldwide sport. The term works for Aussies Rules too.

As for your 2nd line. Why? Are you saying you've done the research on obscure American sports and Australian commentators are using lingo from said obscure sports?

Not exactly sure the NHL is an obscure sport but anyway  :whistle

"Shot on goal" has only come into AFL commentating in the last 5 or so years. Prior to that it was always "shot at goal". Isn't this thread in part about "Americanisms infecting our speech when it comes to Aussie Rules"?

And BTW just so you get the point last time I checked soccer isn't Aussie rules either so I don't think there's any need to use the "term shot on goal", can we not stick with the things that have served us well for over 130-140 years?

It's not an American sport either  :thumbsup NHL isn't actually a sport, it is a league.

I said soccer would be the other sport you'd often hear that term. I've heard commentators in the AFL says 'shot on goal' going back near 20 years lol. Bruce has been saying it for a long time. My questions is: WHO CARES? In soccer if you kick the ball towards the goals, you're having a shot on/at goal. The same for Aussie Rules. It makes complete sense. Who cares if 'shot at goal' was more popular until 30 years ago?

Fair enough if they say Jack Higgins is going to the line for a free throw after getting laid out by Lynden Dunn...but this other stuff isn't even an issue
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2018, 02:43:09 PM »
Shot on goal was a soccer term first.... :shh

:shh
player has a "lovely long leg" to describe a kick !

Eh when I was playing footy you'd always say so and so had a great leg. Same as when a teammate or yourself hits a great pass - you'll hear "great leg" or "great shoe" a lot.

Half this stuff isn't even a commentator thing
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2018, 05:18:37 PM »
I actually have nothing against BT or JB commentating. I actually really enjoyed their commentary when Jake King tried to take on half the Collingwood FC and they went nuts. I enjoy the injection of enthusiasm and their non-professional terminology.

exhibit a) when Nahas was lining up for goal 20m out and didn't look confident so he tried to pass it off and the kick got intercepted, BT went NAAAHHA-NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

I also enjoyed JB going nuts with the whole Push up thing.

For me Anthony 'Huddo' Hudson, Basil, and Dwayne Russell are the worst and I mean the absolute worst. Huddo because a) his voice grates me and for example when there was that line in the sand game, and a punch on happening I have never been so bored.
Basil because he always gets the player's name wrong and also seems to be 3-5 seconds behind the actual play
Dwayne Russell because his commentary style is as bland as licking plasterboard.

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2018, 06:18:36 PM »
 :clapping
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Lebowski

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2018, 08:05:06 PM »
I actually have nothing against BT or JB commentating. I actually really enjoyed their commentary when Jake King tried to take on half the Collingwood FC and they went nuts. I enjoy the injection of enthusiasm and their non-professional terminology.

exhibit a) when Nahas was lining up for goal 20m out and didn't look confident so he tried to pass it off and the kick got intercepted, BT went NAAAHHA-NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

I also enjoyed JB going nuts with the whole Push up thing.

For me Anthony 'Huddo' Hudson, Basil, and Dwayne Russell are the worst and I mean the absolute worst. Huddo because a) his voice grates me and for example when there was that line in the sand game, and a punch on happening I have never been so bored.
Basil because he always gets the player's name wrong and also seems to be 3-5 seconds behind the actual play
Dwayne Russell because his commentary style is as bland as licking plasterboard.

On the weekend heard JB and BT going off at Razor Ray when the whole stadium and commentary team thought it was htb but then razor comes in with theatrics calling too high - was a pee-er.