Author Topic: AFL reveals its 9 rule changes [update]  (Read 6188 times)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Re: What rule changes will we likely see introduced next year? (SEN)
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2018, 04:40:38 PM »
 :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2018, 02:24:29 AM »
Can't wait to watch the Australian Men's Netball League... :clapping

- Gustav Mahler

dwaino

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2018, 12:59:10 PM »

Love it. Every stoppage first it’s asked who are the ruckmen. Then there is a headcount in each arc. One team will wear red, the other black, a couple of player’s dads will act as goal umpires.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2018, 02:58:56 PM »

Love it. Every stoppage first it’s asked who are the ruckmen. Then there is a headcount in each arc. One team will wear red, the other black, a couple of player’s dads will act as goal umpires.

Coleman-Jones' dads can do both ends for us  :gotigers
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2018, 01:39:03 PM »
MELBOURNE co-skipper Nathan Jones has led a chorus of senior players in imploring the AFL to address the congestion and low scoring that has turned them away from the game as viewers.

Jones, Geelong Brownlow Medallist Patrick Dangerfield and GWS co-captain Phil Davis shared their thoughts on the state of the game on Fox Footy on Monday night.

"For me it's about bringing back the magic ... the game is not in the best position or state it could be," Jones said.

"Removing my playing hat – I love the game for its competitiveness as a player – but as far as watching it ... I used to be an avid watcher.

"But now I feel like I'm turning more games off. It's not as aesthetically pleasing, I'm not getting as much enjoyment out of it and it's not providing that excitement that it used to."

Dangerfield, who is also the president of the AFL Players' Association, is all for change and implored the 'leave the game alone' lobby to be open-minded.

"'Zones' is a terrible word within our code, but what it could potentially bring us, I think, is definitely worth investigating," he said.

"So, before you judge it take a look at it first because I think there's merit in it, without a doubt."

He said dwindling television ratings had injected a sense of urgency into the debate.

"I don't think the AFL are looking at this and saying, 'We've got time for audiences to decrease, we've got time for the revenue of the game to decrease' ... they want it moved now," Dangerfield added.

"It needs to be changed now ... we need to bump (TV) audiences up now."

Davis also sees merit in looking at rule tweaks, but believes players and coaches shouldn't be involved as they now are with the league's competition committee.

"I think what you've got to do is take certain stakeholders out of the decision-making process, because I don't care how the game looks if I win," he said.

"The coaches don't care how it looks as long as they win, so you've actually got to take us out of the decision-making process."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-07-10/bring-back-the-magic-stars-implore-afl

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2018, 02:03:57 AM »
Footy boss Steve Hocking wants to take AFL into the future with introduction of starting positions

JON RALPH,
Herald Sun
July 18, 2018

THE AFL could dock rotations or limit the use of runners as penalties for clubs that next year flout rules over starting points.

AFL football operations boss Steve Hocking is charging ahead with the introduction of starting points, adamant he wants to “take the game into the future”.

The league will in coming weeks conduct a fourth club trial of starting points with St Kilda after successful 20-minute experiments with Hawthorn, Brisbane and Fremantle.

A full game trial is also being worked through with a state league side later in the season.

Ten AFL clubs have so far been shown footage of the trials, with Hocking adamant the difference in quality of football is “stark”.

He said on Tuesday starting points were already in effect in football, with down-the-ground vision used to instruct players exactly where they should be on the field.

The AFL is hoping introducing starting positions will ease congestion and improve scoring.

The difference with official starting points is that it would spread the ground out and allow skill-based players to thrive.

The AFL’s competition committee will meet on July 25 to consider a range of proposals that will in concert help to ease congestion.

Hocking was adamant on Tuesday the handful of flowing, open games only “reinforce” the need to act now.

The difficulty in introducing starting points to spread out the game is finding appropriate penalties if three pairs of players are not inside 50m at a stoppage.

For instance, if one player from each side at either end of the ground was only a metre out of the 50m zone at a stoppage, who do you pay the free kick to?

One solution is taking away the use of a runner or docking interchange numbers in that game or in following weeks.

“That is the challenge to crack. It’s a hard one. It can’t be fines,” Hocking said.

Almost certainly a handful of potential rule changes will be put to the competition committee for approval, then elevation to the AFL Commission in August.

“Starting points are already in place. It’s important to acknowledge that. Currently players are told where to stand on the field,” Hocking said of the congested nature of the game.

He said only a “marriage” of rules would solve the AFL’s issues given the pace at which clubs counteracted single rule changes.

“The days of one tweak which clubs catch up on in a pre-season are gone. They want the opportunity to catch up.

“We want to take the game into the future.”

But the scope of the interchange restrictions remains unclear, with Hocking saying a limit to 40 rotations might not be the “answer”.

He is also keen to retain the speed and power in football, believing those attributes are real highlights of the game.

The AFL is happy with its four-umpire trial but believes it could need as many as 20 new umpires in its squad to execute it each week.

There is a current senior squad of 34 umpires, with 27 umpiring every week.

Umpires were less fatigued when they completed double-up games over the bye rounds and believe they could do it more next year.

The league is yet to decide whether it would need four umpires to execute its starting point rule if it comes in next year.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/footy-boss-steve-hocking-wants-to-take-afl-into-the-future-with-introduction-of-starting-positions/news-story/78bdb09de374afcf41d34fa4f63f10c7

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2018, 11:48:20 PM »
AFL Football Operations boss Steve Hocking has revealed that potential rule changes could take two or three years to come in, rather than in 2019 as many expect.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/07/18/could-we-have-to-wait-two-to-three-years-for-rule-changes/

Lebowski

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2018, 01:16:29 PM »

So know it won’t be brought straight in? Lol more backflips

Yeah the strategic use of afl puppets - aka afl accredited media - is not having the desired affect on the masses with more and more concerned fans starting to speak out about the proposed changes.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2018, 03:24:21 PM »
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/the-rule-change-the-afl-is-likely-to-recommend-on-wednesday-20180724-p4zt8z.html

Yes and I'm sure no coach will just instruct the wingers to stand right on the edge of the arcs or the back edges of the square..... :shh

There's a hole in the bucket dear Liza, dear Liza.... :shh :shh
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 04:10:38 PM by Diocletian »

- Gustav Mahler

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2018, 08:34:37 PM »
Rules: AFL to consider at least six changes

Nick Bowen
afl.com.au
Jul 25, 2018 7:33PM

AT LEAST six recommended rule changes will be put before the AFL executive as the bid to rid the game of congestion gathers pace.

The AFL Competition Committee endorsed the proposed changes at a meeting on Wednesday, which will require approval from the executive and, finally, the Commission before they can be introduced.

AFL football operations manager Steve Hocking was tightlipped about what the six recommendations were, but said they could be trialled in AFL games this season as League CEO Gillon McLachlan foreshadowed earlier on Wednesday.

However, Hocking said trials would first take place in state league games, with the competitions such as the VFL, SANFL and WAFL "queueing up" to be involved.

Hocking preferred to characterise the committee's recommendations as "game adjustments", saying fans should take "a level of calmness" from the League's approach to tackling congestion.

"We're not looking to drop things into the game to upset the rhythm of the game and that's important to actually call that out," Hocking said.

The committee has directed Hocking's team to do more work on the detail underpinning the endorsed changes, while he said the nature of those proposals would be kept under wraps until state league trial games were conducted in public.

The League footy boss did concede, however, that the widely mooted centre-bounce starting positions – whereby six players would be stationed in each of the defensive 50m zone, middle of the ground and forward 50m zone was "potentially" among the committee's recommendations.

Other proposals the committee is understood to have considered include expanding the goalsquare from nine to 18m, reducing the current rotation cap of 90 and introducing starting positions at around-the-ground stoppages.

Earlier on Wednesday, there was a significant public backlash to McLachlan's comments about potential AFL trial games, with concerns raised about how that would affect the integrity of the competition, the draft and the Brownlow and Coleman medals.

Hocking stressed any AFL trial games would have to be approved by the executive and the commission and said the concerns raised were "things we need to work through".

"Anybody that feels that you'd have teams involved whereby it could affect their draft position, those type of things, I don't think anyone would tip into that," he said.

Hocking was far more bullish about conducting state league trials and said clubs in those competitions were equally keen to be involved provided the game result would not impact their finals race.

"(The state leagues) would be our starting point definitely. We've got an opportunity where second-tier competitions are queueing up to actually trial the things that we're looking at," he said.

Hocking said such trials would be vital as the League looked to finetune its proposed changes given the existing trials with Hawthorn, Brisbane and Fremantle had consisted of just 10-minute halves.

"It was clear today from the group that the trials are excellent but it's only an hour's worth of work," he said.

"I've been very clear on the fact that we're not just going to plug those things in if it causes a ripple effect to the game."

Hocking was unsure whether all six proposals would be tested in every trial game, or whether they would be tested progressively "in layers".

The AFL football boss has repeatedly said any rules changes for 2019 will be communicated to clubs by this October.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-07-25/rules-afl-to-consider-at-least-six-changes

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2018, 12:50:29 PM »
Never fear people....Waheed Aly's on the case now..... :shh

- Gustav Mahler

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2018, 01:36:41 AM »
THE AFL has all but ruled out reducing the interchange cap next season.

Those at the briefing were left with the strong impression starting positions – the much talked-about 6-6-6 formation – and double-length goal squares would likely be the only major changes made for next season. 

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-08-21/interchange-cap-cuts-unlikely-in-2019

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2018, 02:53:04 PM »
Sam McClure just announced on SEN the four official rule change recommendations that will be put before and voted by the AFL commission during GF week.

1. 6-6-6 formation at all centre bounces. One forward & defender in the goalsquare. Wings can stand anywhere along the centre square.

2. 18m goalsquare.

3. Runners only allowed on the ground after goals.

4. Tightening of 8 rule interpretations. One of them being a tightening of incorrect disposal.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2018, 04:03:34 PM »
Once again the AFL overreacts to a problem that doesn't exist and then puts a square peg in a round hole as a solution.

They want to increase scoring but the 18m goalsquare will cause coaches to discourage long range shooting & snaps from the pockets which are more likely to result in a behind & gift the opposition the ball from a more attacking defensive position. So we'll get less scoring.

Agree with this post on twitter:

And teams will be more careful how they enter the forward 50 and thus the game will slow down. Less goals and more kick to kick, the antithesis of what they're aiming for

https://twitter.com/andreamaryb/status/1040113856519884800
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd