Author Topic: Rival clubs circle Tigers' flag mastermind Blake Caracella (afl site)  (Read 2729 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Rival clubs circle Tigers' flag mastermind

Mitch Cleary
afl.com.au
Jul 25, 2018 6:47PM

RICHMOND'S premiership mastermind Blake Caracella remains out of contract and in hot demand for 2019.

Damien Hardwick's midfield senior assistant is yet to come to terms with the Tigers after two seasons at Punt Road with a win-loss ratio of 31-11. 

AFL.com.au understands Caracella is aware of outside interest from several clubs.

It comes ahead of a frantic week in assistant coaching circles, with clubs advised to notify out-of-contract assistants of their futures by August 1.

While Richmond wishes to extend Caracella's stay at the club, there is set to be a number of openings across the competition.

St Kilda has left the bulk of its uncontracted assistants in limbo after meetings in the past fortnight, while Gold Coast has informed Matthew Primus and Andy Lovell they won't be required in 2019. 

With two premierships to his name, Caracella is highly rated at a number of clubs, including Geelong where he spent seven years from 2010-2016.

While Caracella still lives in Geelong and has a close relationship with coach Chris Scott (the pair regularly play golf), the Cats are expected to retain their current coaching panel. 

The introduction of the soft cap on football department spending, which has been in place since 2015, is another factor clubs have to consider when offering new deals.

Richmond was forced to act at the end of 2016, cutting coaching support staff from 11 (including two part-time) to seven, at the same time Caracella arrived. 

Caracella has been instrumental in turning the Tigers' game plan into a winning formula, responsible for the ball movement in last year's drought-breaking premiership. 

While Hardwick extended his contract until the end of 2021 in March, Caracella's initial two-year deal will expire at season's end.

After a 187-game career at Essendon, Brisbane and Collingwood that included two premierships, Caracella joined the Pies as a development coach for three seasons in 2007. 

Ahead of the 2010 season, Caracella joined Geelong under coach Mark Thompson and head of football Neil Balme – the man who had recruited him to Collingwood as a player in 2005.

After Thompson's departure at the end of 2010, Caracella was joined by Scott, the pair teammates under Leigh Matthews at Brisbane.

Caracella spent seven seasons at Kardinia Park and was accepted into the AFL's level four coaching program in 2015.

One of nine members inducted, Caracella was joined by then assistant coaches Stuart Dew, Simon Goodwin and Brendon Bolton, plus current Geelong head of football Simon Lloyd.

The Tigers landed Caracella and Justin Leppitsch ahead of the 2017 season after assistants Greg Mellor, Ross Smith and Mark Williams were informed they were no longer required. 

Caracella's appointment reunited him with Balme at a third club, just weeks after Balme arrived from Collingwood.

Richmond players have previously spoken about Caracella's influence on change at the club. 

Midfielder Kane Lambert, who went from fringe player in 2016 to third in the best and fairest in the premiership year of 2017, credited Caracella for much of his improvement.

"I knew I had more to offer and Blake Caracella made me believe in myself more than anyone else," Lambert told the AFL Players website.

"He sees things that no one else really does but when he explains it to you, you're confused as to why you'd never noticed it before.

"He's very simplistic in how he goes about it but he's so smart.

"He has helped me with my off-ball running and positioning and, again, the belief. He didn't expect me to do anything that he didn't think I was capable of. He helped me to believe in myself."

Lambert and Richmond face Collingwood in the game of the season on Saturday at the MCG, when the Tigers will seek to maintain their position at the top of the table.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-07-25/rival-clubs-circle-tigers-flag-mastermind

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Give him a longer contract!!!!! Must sign ASAP!!!!

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
sign him FFS

if thats true firstly we are stupid not to offer more and secondly he is probably stupid for hanging around if a spot at stkilda comes up.

lets be honest richo is on his last legs and its probably the only opening you can see in the next year. t
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
sign him FFS

if thats true firstly we are stupid not to offer more and secondly he is probably stupid for hanging around if a spot at stkilda comes up.

lets be honest richo is on his last legs and its probably the only opening you can see in the next year. t

He’ll obviously go for a senior job
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
If he gets a senior gig then we should all wish him the best and someone poison his deodorant with novichik on the way out the door. But seriously he's too valuable to lose.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
sign him FFS

He’ll obviously go for a senior job

or go where there may be a potential senior job e.g saints

if he gets a senior gig fair enough, but i hate to see him poached for the same role, because he wasnt paid enough
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
I am sure Balmey has all the ducks in a row :pray

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
When I spoke to him a while ago, he didn't seem like he was wanting a senior gig, even in the future.... :shh
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline yandb

• RFC Hall of Fame
With the new rules coming next year then Blake is as important as Dusty to our club.

We need a great tactical assistant coach to help our team adapt to the new rules.

Sign him up asap.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
When I spoke to him a while ago, he didn't seem like he was wanting a senior gig, even in the future.... :shh

I would have thought that he would have had the opportunity before now to take a senior role if he wanted one, so maybe he hasn't changed his mind on this in recent times, or maybe waiting for a particular club ?

Or he may be like Robert Wiley and sees himself as a very good assistant and enjoys that role. I had the opportunity to speak to Wiley some years ago, and that is what he told me. He was sounded out by a few clubs, including Richmond at one stage, to take a senior role, but he actually enjoyed the assistant role. I got the impression that he wasn't keen on dealing with the media amongst other things.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Rival clubs circle Tigers' flag mastermind Blake Caracella (afl site)
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2018, 12:30:11 PM »
Caracella would be 'foolish' to leave the Tigers

Michael Poiveson
zerohanger.com
27 July 2018

According to AFL.com.au journalist Mitch Cleary, Richmond assistant coach Blake Caracella is receiving lots of attention from rival clubs.

Caracella, who joined the Tigers in 2016, has been an integral part of Richmond’s rise, but is out of contract at the end of 2018.

While clubs are surrounding to acquire his services, Clearly feels that Caracella would be ‘silly’ to leave Richmond if there wasn’t a grand offer that allows him to progress as the Tigers senior coach.

“Richmond definitely want to keep Blake Caracella, but he’s getting quite a lot of interest from rival clubs,” Cleary told SEN’s The Sporting Capital.

“He’s highly regarded at the Tigers but when you get this far into a two-year deal, and he’s out of contract for 2019, rival clubs are circling.

“He’s not going to be able to coach his own team before that opportunity for AFL senior coaching comes up.

“Maybe a director of coaching, we saw what happened with Luke Beveridge before he signed with the Western Bulldogs.

“He was offered the job at St Kilda as a director of coaching.

“If that’s where Blake (Caracella) wants to end up as a senior coach, one of these senior assistant roles would be the next step.

“But being with Richmond, look at the big games they’re playing with and the way he’s got that midfield up and running at the moment, he’d be silly to leave if there wasn’t a concrete offer for further progression out there.”

https://www.zerohanger.com/caracella-would-be-foolish-to-leave-the-tigers-22230/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2018, 02:24:03 AM »
Caro on Footy Classified last night said that Caracella and Leppitsch will be re-signed for two years this week.

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2018, 06:15:31 AM »
 :thumbsup

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2018, 07:10:35 AM »
 :pray :bow  :cheers
Lots of people name their swords......

Lebowski

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2018, 10:15:15 AM »
great news, now sign up X too