Author Topic: The former ridiculously early but now official finals thread  (Read 11235 times)

dwaino

Re: The ridiculously early finals thread
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2018, 11:14:35 AM »
How many top sides have pies won against ?.Come on guys had the softest draw this season by a mile no wonder there up to 3 rd let's be realistic.The coach trys to act like his smart but is copying another coaches game plan.

This is spot on. An even softer draw than Melbourne. They’ll get pantsed well by west coast the first week. They’ve copied everything we have done, their review, attitude, game plan, forward line, and now even trade targets.

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2018, 04:37:25 PM »
How many top sides have pies won against ?.Come on guys had the softest draw this season by a mile no wonder there up to 3 rd let's be realistic.The coach trys to act like his smart but is copying another coaches game plan.

This is spot on. An even softer draw than Melbourne. They’ll get pantsed well by west coast the first week. They’ve copied everything we have done, their review, attitude, game plan, forward line, and now even trade targets.

Spot on yet there coach is talked about as some super coach this season can't stand him.Like I said only side they won against in the 8 is dees and there out of it to all this with the softest draw pies had.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2018, 06:54:01 PM »
done my early finals predictor

Tigers V Hawks/Swans

win and its a prelim

lose and we play winner of Dees (5th) and Cats (8th)  hearing christina scott all week again  :banghead :banghead

lets hope it doesnt get to that
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2018, 02:29:50 AM »
The Herald-Sun's first week of finals prediction:

1) RICHMOND 17-4 win-loss, 68 points, 138.3 per cent

The Tigers secured their first minor premiership since 1982 with their win over Essendon and have nothing left to play for. But this is one of the most ferocious sides the game has seen, don’t expect them to take a backward step.

To come: Western Bulldogs (MCG) — Saturday 2:10pm.

Will finish: First and will host Qualifying Final 1.

Week 1 of 2018 AFL Finals

Qualifying Final 1: Richmond vs Sydney @ the M.C.G.

Elimination Final 1: Melbourne vs Geelong @ the M.C.G.

Elimination Final 2: Hawthorn vs GWS Giants @ the M.C.G.

Qualifying Final 2: West Coast Eagles vs Collingwood @ Optus Stadium

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/which-teams-will-be-taking-part-in-the-2018-afl-finals-series/news-story/88af2b89874ccb48f40e6cb310462a15

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2018, 07:01:08 AM »
Last year I was just excited, this year I'm bloody nervous.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2018, 07:55:18 AM »

I know what you mean.

Last year we could, this year we should.

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2018, 08:38:40 AM »

I know what you mean.

Yep same boat here, and thinking of all the things that can go wrong lol
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

dwaino

« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2018, 10:10:33 AM »
I reckon we’ve got some big tweaks to the game plan that will be unleashed in the finals. It just seems like we’ve been cruising a bit lately and everyone from coaches to nuffies reckon they know the key to cracking us. I think our coaches are smarter than that. More astute watchers might be able to see if we’ve test run a few things at an occasional stoppage or situation the last few weeks.

Offline Lozza

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2018, 11:12:10 AM »
The "Tiger cage" i think was one reference to the way we set up for a kick out.

dwaino

« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2018, 06:43:04 PM »
Dees has their flight delayed so they could celebrate after the game  :lol

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2018, 07:04:22 PM »

I know what you mean.

Completely relaxed like last year

Been an amazing 2 seasons, just going to sit back and enjoy the ride
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2018, 07:17:59 PM »

I know what you mean.

Completely relaxed like last year

Been an amazing 2 seasons, just going to sit back and enjoy the ride

I've enjoyed this year but as we get to the pointy season, barring the first week of finals there's no next week and I have no control of what happens so I will be a tad nervous during the games.
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2018, 07:53:46 PM »
AFL open to four MCG finals in week one

Daniel Cherny
afl.com.au
20 Aug 2018

The AFL is considering a return to playing a Sunday final in the event four MCG tenant clubs earn the right to host week one finals.

While seven clubs have booked finals positions, and Geelong need only to beat Gold Coast or have Port Adelaide lose to Essendon this week to secure the other September berth, finishing positions from second to eighth remain up in the air. Only Richmond (first) have locked up a particular spot in the eight.

Results could occur which would mean the Hawks, Tigers, Collingwood and Melbourne all finish in spots which would give them home finals in week one. For that to transpire, Sydney would need to beat Hawthorn at the SCG on Saturday night, the Magpies would have to defeat Fremantle in Perth on Saturday, depleted West Coast would need to lose at the Gabba to the Brisbane Lions on Sunday, and the Demons would have to beat Greater Western Sydney at the MCG on Sunday.

In that event, the qualifying finals would be Richmond v Sydney and Collingwood v West Coast, while the elimination finals would be Melbourne v Geelong and Hawthorn v GWS.

The introduction of a bye weekend between round 23 and the finals in 2016 has allowed the AFL to begin the finals on a Thursday night over the last two years, with the other week one finals occurring on a Friday night, Saturday late afternoon, and Saturday night, eliminating the need for a Sunday final and a subsequent six-day break for the winners ahead of the semi-finals.

If the AFL opted to retain the structure of the last two years, one final would need to be held away from the MCG. Hawthorn have twice before played elimination finals at Docklands (against Sydney in 2001 and Adelaide in 2007). The Hawks are aware they would be the likely candidate to again host a final at Docklands if the AFL opted to head down that path.

Hawthorn president Jeff Kennett tweeted his concerns about a possible final at Etihad, which will be known as Marvel Stadium from September 1.

“Wait until next week’s games are played. Everything will be clearer then. Trouble with Etihad is it only holds approx 50,000 fans. I think all games will attract more than that and I hope the AFL will give as many people as possible the opportunity to attend each game,” Kennett said on Sunday night.

However it’s understood the AFL are contemplating playing one final on each of Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday if the four MCG tenant clubs finish 1st, 2nd, 5th and 6th. This would allow the MCG to host all four week one finals. The AFL won’t confirm its week one finals fixture until after the top eight finishing order is confirmed, although it’s believed about 20 options are on the table.

The Hawks could still finish as high as second, and can avoid a home final against the low-drawing Giants by beating the Swans and ensuring they finish in the top four.

If the Eagles, Sydney, Melbourne and Collingwood all win this week, the Eagles would host the Pies in week one, with the other three finals in Melbourne.

Both Thursday night finals have been held outside of Victoria, and the AFL would be keen to play an Eagles qualifying final at Optus Stadium on a Thursday night, should West Coast finish second.

Six elimination finals have been held at Docklands since the venue opened in 2000, the most recent of which came when Sydney beat St Kilda in 2011. That match was played on a Saturday night, with the other three finals that weekend all held at the MCG.

Geelong have wanted to host more finals at GMHBA Stadium but it won’t happen this year given they cannot finish higher than seventh.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/sunday-session-afl-open-to-four-mcg-finals-in-week-one-20180820-p4zyjv.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2018, 10:37:39 AM »
Interesting final week.

Looks like it comes down to Sydney vs Hawks match, whoever wins that plays us first week.

If WestCoke lose to Brisbane game they could finish fourth and play us but only if the hawks beat Sydney.

But if Collingwood happen to lose to Freo we could end up playing whoever wins in the Melbourne v GWS game. 

Bring it on.   :gotigers
The club that keeps giving.